E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bought N54, engine starts, stalls in 10 sec, no check engine light, (Solved)

11-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
flyingspirit55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Bought N54, engine starts, stalls in 10 sec, no check engine light, (Solved)

Hello everyone, bought 07 335i E92, a few months back, have no history on the car, had no compression in #6, car ran but misfired and blue smoke, barely got over 3000 rpm. Rebuilt the engine #6 piston had broken ring landings. New rings, bearing, valves redone, all new gaskets.

After many pain staking hours, got everything back together, starts fine but requires more cranks, runs strong for about 10 seconds and stalls.

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/...NDUiLCJ2IjoxfQ

Checked for vacuum leaks, sprayed starting fluid on intake and all charge side connections. Nothing. Disconnected MAF, still stalls. Cleaned MAF on intake side, had dried oil on it, still stalls. Cleaned MAF on charge pipe side was clean. Still stalls. I can keep kicking the gas and get it to run for another 20-30 secs but eventually pressing the gas does nothing and it just dies.

Had an extra MAF for intake, no difference. Only thing is the battery was changed and all the dash lights are on, but since it ran before except the misfire, I'm ruling this out.

Tried another set of vanos and cam sensors, no difference. Since it's a fresh engine, the coolant system is still not bled, so the low coolant light is on. Don't know if a low coolant light would cause it to stall.

I can only think the High pressure fuel pump is bad, the exhaust does smell like fuel. No smoke though. I have checked timing while engine was rebuilt but this is another possibility. Secondary O2's are new. Cats are new. Foxwell has no codes, tried another OBD scanner and still no codes. Car does have an aftermarket blowoff valve, charge pipes and IC. Don't know if this could cause this.

Car is a manual, the clutch slave is not bled and leaking, pedal is to the floor, I wonder if this would cause it to stall out, another clutch slave is on the way. I don't know if these cars have some kind of anti stall system or clutch pressure sensor system. That would cause it to stall.

Last edited by flyingspirit55; 11-27-2022 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
flyingspirit55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also changed out the crank sensor and throttle body, low coolant light has sod turned off after filling up. Unfortunately the car still stalls.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
flyingspirit55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Realized the knock sensors were unplugged under the intake, plugged them back in but same issue. Crazy thing is it didnít throw a code, so Iím going to double check the Ecu small plug, when you Tia them out, itís possible I mixed them up.

The only thing I can think of is timing on the intake cam was facing down when it was supposed to be facing up on TDC. I donít even think the car would start being 180 off but I will double check timing.

Anyone else think of anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 10:56 PM   #4
flyingspirit55
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is definitely looking like the intake cam timing is off by 180 degrees, the intake is right before the induction phase facing down instead of up at TDC, will check and get back.

The exhaust cam you canít get wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
flyingspirit55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update, timing was perfect but cam gears were switched around, IN on EX, put them back on the correct side, retimed the engine and car runs normally. Mistake was made because I had 4 cam gears from extra parts, parts were mixed up.

Does have a O2 bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage code but that was code was from before , it maybe the new sensor was a defect, will look into it or switch the sensor and see if the code goes to the other one or the new catalytic convertor is bad but overall the car runs smooth. First time Iíve seen a 335 run on all cylinders.

Now everyone should know that if the cam gears are switched it wonít throw a code and it will die and run rough. As for timing, the hash marks on the top of the cams face up, so hard to get wrong and the head bolt holes line up where the cam curves around the access holes, these are a few ways to check you have the cam the right way. But basically #1 intake and exhaust lobes face up.

Last edited by flyingspirit55; 11-27-2022 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Glad to know it was straightforward fix thanks for the update, didn't know car wouldn't even throw a code. Also good to know it runs well, the BMW work instructions say damage can occur if they are mixed up.

Yeah for the timing like you say, the QR code has to face up and the rear cam lobes will point a ~ 45 degree angle down towards the outsides not actuating the valves.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54521.00