E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Exhaust advice needed - new to me E93 in LeMans blue

10-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
MovingTarget
England
Rep
Drives: E46 & E93 3litre sport conv.

Exhaust advice needed - new to me E93 in LeMans blue

Hi people,

Recently bought this car and love it, it's my 15th BMW over 30 odd years of driving so I'm obviously a fan... mainly 3-series!!

It's an N53 325i so is the 216bhp 3-litre and it's great, and importantly ULEZ compliant in Bristol. My only real complaint is how quiet it is! I've had loads of M54 3-litres and this E93 sounds gutless when compared, even though it's not!

So what exhaust choices have you guys made? I'm not going crazy on mods but a nicer exhaust note would be great.

Here are a couple of pics but any info you can give would be great

Cheers,
Rich
Attached Images

Last edited by MovingTarget; 10-02-2022 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F31 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingTarget View Post
Hi people,

Recently bought this car and love it, it's my 15th BMW over 30 odd years of driving so I'm obviously a fan... mainly 3-series!!

It's an N53 325i so is the 216bhp 3-litre and it's great, and importantly ULEZ compliant in Bristol. My only real complaint is how quiet it is! I've had loads of M54 3-litres and this E93 sounds gutless when compared, even though it's not!

So what exhaust choices have you guys made? I'm not going crazy on mods but a nicer exhaust note would be great.

Here are a couple of pics but any info you can give would be great

Cheers,
Rich
[IMG][/IMG]

I had the back box swapped out on my LCI N53 325i E91 as it was sooo quiet - to the point that it didn't even sound like a 6 cylinder engine! I had a custom 12" box installed which gave it a deeper tone (think E46 330i) without it being overly loud.
Attached Images

10-03-2022, 06:07 AM   #3
MovingTarget
England
Rep

That's a great idea. How much was the custom box? The valence is an easy replace and looks great. Food for thought, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's a great idea. How much was the custom box? The valence is an easy replace and looks great. Food for thought, thanks
Thanks. Not cheap at £450 plus valance but worth it to me for both the visual and aural improvement!

Pasted via my phone so not 100% sure this link will work!

https://flic.kr/p/2nQvjKE
      10-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
MovingTarget
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos ZimZimma View Post
Thanks. Not cheap at £450 plus valance but worth it to me for both the visual and aural improvement!

Sounds great, and not crazy money. Thanks mate, will mail a couple of local exhaust companies and see what they say.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 02:39 AM   #6
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds great, and not crazy money. Thanks mate, will mail a couple of local exhaust companies and see what they say.
Forego the twin pipes and I reckon it would have been more like £300, plus no need for a new diffuser 👍
      10-04-2022, 03:32 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Nice motor! I agree on the quiet stock exhaust. I went with OEM P/E when they were available (discontinued now). There are several out there though, notably Supersprint and Esienmann.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 04:05 AM   #8
MovingTarget
England
Rep

Quote:
Forego the twin pipes and I reckon it would have been more like £300, plus no need for a new diffuser 👍
Good point, and I quite like the current twin pipe set up. Thanks, mate
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 04:07 AM   #9
MovingTarget
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Nice motor! I agree on the quiet stock exhaust. I went with OEM P/E when they were available (discontinued now). There are several out there though, notably Supersprint and Esienmann.
Thanks Phil, and I have been looking out for the P/E option but will now check out the two you mentioned. I just can't get my head around a backbox costing so much money when you can get a custom stainless for a few hundred that'll do much the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #10
MovingTarget
England
Rep

UPDATE

I've found a local shop who'll provide a replacement backbox in stainless steel with tailpipes to my choosing as well as agreeing on the sound... all made and fit within 90 minutes for little money. Am booked in Friday morning so will let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #11
MovingTarget
England
Rep

UPDATE 12/10/22

So last Wednesday I went to my chosen shop of exhaust pleasures and had the stainless backbox fitted. The fitter asked how loud I wanted and i said "not loud" but just bit more growl so it actually sounded like a 3 litre. He then got me to hear the car without a backbox to ask my opinion and I said "far too loud" and he said he now knew what I wanted..... so they did their work.

By the time I had driven the 10 miles home the drone and the volume of noise was seriously pissing me off so I called and said this was not what I wanted as I'd specified just a bit of grumble, not 1989 Vauxhall Nova without a backbox. So it was booked in today to sort.

I've just got back from the second visit and I'm really pleased. There is still grumble and growl on tickover and through the rev range but no more drone and is a far nicer place to be at speed. And if I want to impress some random 14 year olds in the street then I drop it a gear and get heavy footed for a bit!!

Love it! I'll try and get a video clip for y'all at some point but well worth the £220 spent
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE 12/10/22

So last Wednesday I went to my chosen shop of exhaust pleasures and had the stainless backbox fitted. The fitter asked how loud I wanted and i said "not loud" but just bit more growl so it actually sounded like a 3 litre. He then got me to hear the car without a backbox to ask my opinion and I said "far too loud" and he said he now knew what I wanted..... so they did their work.

By the time I had driven the 10 miles home the drone and the volume of noise was seriously pissing me off so I called and said this was not what I wanted as I'd specified just a bit of grumble, not 1989 Vauxhall Nova without a backbox. So it was booked in today to sort.

I've just got back from the second visit and I'm really pleased. There is still grumble and growl on tickover and through the rev range but no more drone and is a far nicer place to be at speed. And if I want to impress some random 14 year olds in the street then I drop it a gear and get heavy footed for a bit!!

Love it! I'll try and get a video clip for y'all at some point but well worth the £220 spent
Sounds good! I've heard these without back boxes and they do sound loud, serious and angry but they don't quite have the performance to back up that noise, so I'd never go down that route. Looking forward to the video clip
      10-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #13
MovingTarget
England
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good! I've heard these without back boxes and they do sound loud, serious and angry but they don't quite have the performance to back up that noise, so I'd never go down that route. Looking forward to the video clip
Agreed, I was conscious that it was all show and no go! Now it just sounds deep and growly without the pretensions!!
Appreciate 1