E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > 1st time detailing, should I or should I not?

04-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
jackpollard
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i x-drive 6speed

1st time detailing, should I or should I not?

A few months back I picked up a beautiful, low miles 335i x-drive in Monaco Blue. It was a dream car for me; 6-speed manual, m package and a great price. It had 1 owner who kept the interior in excellent shape, but the exterior needs some work for sure. I will post some pics to show it better.
I'm pretty handy, always do my own semi-major auto work. I also have a 2005 325xi with 170K on it and have done all the work from oil changes to brakes.
The paint has lot of swirls, little chips, but no real deep gashes. I'm hoping to get 75% or better in looks.
I've never done a paint restoration/detail, but I think this may be my time.
I've read everything I can find, I've watched countless videos and have everything I need.
My plan is; do a full 2 bucket wash, spray it down with Carpro X Iron remover, clay it (plenty of lube) and then I'm ready for the main attraction. Use my PC7424 with 5.5" Orange hex pad and Wolfgang total swirl remover. Then white and Wolfgang finishing glaze, then black or blue pad and Wolfgang deep gloss sealant. I know there are plenty of different products, but I figured it took a bit of guesswork out of 1 part of the process by using the same product line.
So, my main reason for writing this thread is; it seems using the PC I really can't do harm to my current paint job. I would of course keep it moving and make sure to follow the back forth and up down pattern in the small area I taped off. Am I asking for trouble? Should I practice on my other car or is it just a matter of paying attention to what your doing?
Thanks in advance and thanks for the countless threads I've read here helping me make my decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

If you're using extra lube, you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

DA cannot do a lot of harm on your paint work unless you overheat it and shred the foam pad into pieces.

Claying is an art and you could induce additional scratches if you are not careful.

I would also grab a Yellow Cutting Pad which is a step above the Orange Pad to save you some time.

I have been successful with Menzerna FG400 for cut/polish and Menzerna SF4500 for finishing on BMW and Audi paintwork

Just pay attention and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
jackpollard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBN54 View Post
If you're using extra lube, you should be good.
"That's what she said" the great Michael Scott

@originalgoods13 Thanks for the suggestions. Besides washing I've clayed before so I do understand the care that needs to be taken with that. Kept it lubed, make sure no contaminants, not too much pressure and move moderately fast. If I've missed something obvious, please correct me.
I will pick up 2 yellow pads, I was not sure if they were too much, but I think your right, it will take me longer with the orange and if I take care, I should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

I too have a BSM E90 and I dove right into it without practicing on another car. I did learn some valuable lessons along the way. The most important is to put a black mark on your backing plate so you can see your pad spinning as you polish (I too have a PC DA polisher). Second most important thing is to never go higher than speed 6. 5 is plenty fast. 6 won't do much better.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Stay away from edges and body lines. The paint is thinner there and burns easily. You can put painters tape on them if you want to be safe. Keep moving and feel the panel with your bare hand. Keep the heat down and you'll be good.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
jackpollard
Rep

Thanks again for the comments, I've been keeping a cheat sheet and have added them too it. I was a bit concerned about the edges, but will tape them up for sure now.
cpie168 ; how did you feel your car came out after you did it? Glad you did it?
I don't think I can get good pictures being its dark here and in my garage, but I will try and get some to at least show the before and after. I plan on doing it this Sat., my wife works all day, so no interruptions.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Do NOT use armor all or any silicon based cleaner. It leaves a layer of Silicon behind that magnifies sunlight and dry rots everything. It's also extremely difficult to remove once applied. Use a quality carnauba wax and always keep the car wet while washing.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #9
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Zaino is the best I know of. More than Wolfgang which I never heard of.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

I just did my first paint correction this last weekend. I had the same exact worries you did even though I watched countless videos. At the end of the day, nothing beats the experience you gain from the process. You will be fine, just make sure to go slow and be prepared to spend a lot of time!!! I started from 730am and didn't finish up until 7pm ish GOODLUCK!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
jackpollard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipronny View Post
I just did my first paint correction this last weekend. I had the same exact worries you did even though I watched countless videos. At the end of the day, nothing beats the experience you gain from the process. You will be fine, just make sure to go slow and be prepared to spend a lot of time!!! I started from 730am and didn't finish up until 7pm ish GOODLUCK!
Great! Are you happy with your results? Anything you would of totally did different? I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. I watched 1 vid where the guy tried to burn the paint and couldn't using a PC. He had to turn it upside down and hit it to make a mark, that made me feel like I can't really screw it up too much.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #12
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Autogeek has good reviews on Wolfgang. I'm still a Zaino fan but let me know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #13
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpollard View Post
Great! Are you happy with your results? Anything you would of totally did different? I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. I watched 1 vid where the guy tried to burn the paint and couldn't using a PC. He had to turn it upside down and hit it to make a mark, that made me feel like I can't really screw it up too much.
Yeah I was actually super pleased with my results. I actually posted the end results in a couple threads below!! Like everyone said, I feel like using a DA is pretty much fool proof in terms of burning through the clearcoat UNLESS you really really mess up which is highly unlikely so you should be good. I would say prep work is very important in terms of washing, drying and claying. Also make sure you have adequate lighting and a proper work space. I strained a muscle or two when I was working on door panels. Either have a mini chair or stool to sit on while doing the sides or sit on the ground. I would also say don't rush the job, just take your time on every panel. Have some music on while you are working in the garage to get a rhythm going . And finally, make sure you start with a test panel instead of going with the most aggressive product possible. Less is better. But thats all i can think of, LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESULTS
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #14
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

You've got the right idea!

A DA polisher is incredibly safe, especially a smaller machine like the Porter Cable... don't over think it! As long as you've got a good head on your shoulders and some good common sense, you will be fine. It sounds like you have been doing a fair bit of research and learning, so that is a great first step. You will learn a lot very quickly once you get started on your vehicle.

FWIW, the only time I have seen DA machines result in damage (when the operator was not being irresponsible) was when a vehicle had shotty repair/paint work done and there was no way for the detailer to know of that beforehand. So again, you should be perfectly fine!

We just shot this video that goes over a 2 step paint correction process. This will be featured in an upcoming article on the Ask-A-Pro Blog, but I will post it here ahead of time as it may be beneficial to you. (This was our first video attempt and my first time on camera, so go easy on me )

Remember to check out our Detailing Guide and Ask-A-Pro Blog for more information.

Please let me know if you have any questions... I'd be happy to help

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #15
jackpollard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
You've got the right idea!

A DA polisher is incredibly safe, especially a smaller machine like the Porter Cable... don't over think it! As long as you've got a good head on your shoulders and some good common sense, you will be fine. It sounds like you have been doing a fair bit of research and learning, so that is a great first step. You will learn a lot very quickly once you get started on your vehicle.

FWIW, the only time I have seen DA machines result in damage (when the operator was not being irresponsible) was when a vehicle had shotty repair/paint work done and there was no way for the detailer to know of that beforehand. So again, you should be perfectly fine!
Zach; Thanks for taking the time to respond and attaching the video. I've read pretty much every thing you have posted on your site, very informative and makes it easier for us to do this kind of correction.
The paint looks relatively whole, no major paint repairs or anything like that.
I do have a question, what about the bumpers? Mine do have some scratches in them and I assume you don't use the same process with them? Thanks in advance.

yipronny I did see your post a few days back, I didn't connect it to you, you did a great job, I'm hoping mine comes out as good.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpollard View Post
Zach; Thanks for taking the time to respond and attaching the video. I've read pretty much every thing you have posted on your site, very informative and makes it easier for us to do this kind of correction.
The paint looks relatively whole, no major paint repairs or anything like that.
I do have a question, what about the bumpers? Mine do have some scratches in them and I assume you don't use the same process with them? Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can use the exact same process on bumpers as you do on the rest of the vehicle...

... however, you may find that plastic panels (ie bumpers) are not as easy to correct. Even if the bumpers show the same type of defects as the rest of the vehicle, in some cases they do not come out as easily with the same process and you will have to adapt and make changes to your technique, product, or pad in order to achieve the best results.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #17
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

God I wish DI was in SW Fla lol.. Your work is always top knotch..!
Appreciate 1