E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Hit with the 0030FF, Help please N54

10-29-2018, 03:26 AM   #1
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Hit with the 0030FF, Help please N54

I got the 0030FF engine light tonight while driving moderately. Switched the engine off and on, it went away, but came back again after another 30mins.

Checked diagnostics which stated boost pressure too low.

Did a little search which highlighted it could be either a vacuum leak or something more sinister like the dreaded wastegate.

I had a good look around the engine bay for hose splits/wear and came across two hose near the oil filter which looks worn and possible split? (Picture below). When the engine is running, I can physically hear the sound of air whooshing around that area and when I wiggle it around, the tone of the "air leaky sound" changes too.

Also on the brake booster vacuum, a small plastic connector has broken (however still connected tightly).

However!!! I also have a distinct rattle from my engine bay which I have added a link to also - which I am not 100% certain if it is a wastegate rattle.

What are your thoughts? Fingers crossed it is just the vacuum house!

The engine is N54, with 53k mileage.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:51 AM   #2
748adam
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I would replace all those vacuum hoses as a matter of course anyway. are you running a JB4 or MHD? would be good to know how far under target boost you are.
I have replaced all my vacuum hoses with silicone for a longer life span, the hardest one for me was the rear turbo by far, the rest are all child's play.
      10-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Adam!

I am completely bone stock - no jb4 or MHD nor any bolt on mods.

I have ordered some silicone hoses.

Do I need to take the engine cover off to access the two that go from the vacuum canisters and behind the oil filter?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

30FF can be anything (I got from HPFP and Injector faults)
Start with the cheapest parts (Silicone Hoses) then work your way up.
I'd also check the boost solonoids

Engine cover will need to come off the replace the vac lines, and be very careful taking them off the canisters. They are known to break the barb off completely.

Your video is quite difficult to place the noise, I'm 99% sure that's not the wastegates, They sound far more metallic than your noise.
      10-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
30FF can be anything (I got from HPFP and Injector faults)
Start with the cheapest parts (Silicone Hoses) then work your way up.
I'd also check the boost solonoids

Engine cover will need to come off the replace the vac lines, and be very careful taking them off the canisters. They are known to break the barb off completely.

Your video is quite difficult to place the noise, I'm 99% sure that's not the wastegates, They sound far more metallic than your noise.
Thanks alot for the reassurance regarding wastegate rattle.

I have ordered some 4mm RamAir silicone hoses, looking forward to taking the old hoses out and putting the new ones in.

Appreciate the tip regarding the canisters - my plan of action is to cut/splice with them open with a knife, to avoid yanking or pulling them and risk breaking the nipple/barb. If you can think of any others, please let me know. I'll attempt to tackle the rear turbo vacuum hoses last.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
748adam
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam_335i View Post
Thanks alot for the reassurance regarding wastegate rattle.

I have ordered some 4mm RamAir silicone hoses, looking forward to taking the old hoses out and putting the new ones in.

Appreciate the tip regarding the canisters - my plan of action is to cut/splice with them open with a knife, to avoid yanking or pulling them and risk breaking the nipple/barb. If you can think of any others, please let me know. I'll attempt to tackle the rear turbo vacuum hoses last.
Cutting and then sliding them off is by far the best way, can take a little more effort to get through the braided sheath on the standard lines but that is more than offset by the fact you won't destroy any barbs.
      10-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Be careful slicing the lines open, if you score the barbs, they will leak as well.
      10-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Are these clips normally hard to take off?

(Note - Not my pic)

No matter how much I squeeze the tabs, this thing does not want to budge at all. Any tips?

I have officially spotted the vacuum hose with a gaping hole in it, it is the one i posted in my first post, one of the two which goes past the oil filter. Underneath the fabric weave, I can actually see a big split. The second hose looks like it's about to go pretty soon too.

So therefore, instead of trying to pull that connector clip off that brake pressure vacuum hose, I'm just going to take out my stock airbox which should leave me enough room to go in and cut out the two bad hoses.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys,

I've changed those two hoses with silicone hoses and happy to say boost is back strong as ever and the engine fault has gone.

Thank you to those who responded.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #10
748adam
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Did you just do those 2 or did you do them all?
Appreciate 0