E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > $500 for a Battery!?!?

01-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

$500 for a Battery!?!?

So my car's at the stealership (you can see where this is going...) getting its wheel bearing swapped out (which apparently they're having one hell of a time with... Mechanic supposedly spent all afternoon yesterday getting the old one out... I hope they don't readjust their estimate...).

I has a question -

After a night out in the cold, my instrument cluster has been acting up. I could post a video but basically the gas gauge gets stuck at empty and vibrates quickly. The rest of the cluster fails to read anything (Odo/Speedo don't work). Back when I lived up north this used to happen only in the mornings where we got subzero temps but it's been happening at progressively warmer temperatures. We probably haven't had a night colder than 15-20 here and whenever it's cold enough for my windshield to frost it generally happens.

I dropped the car off and noted the issue to them. He called me back later that day. His claim was that a diagnostic check revealed that multiple systems on the car are reporting low voltage. He says that especially consistent with the need to change the battery is the fact that the issue has been happening at ever higher temperatures.

This makes some sense to me, as the battery is probably almost 6 years old at this point. But then again, my car hasn't had any real trouble starting.

Question 1: Is his theory plausible? At what point do the car's electronics start running off of the alternator alone? It'll usually take a couple of minutes, but after I get going the instrument cluster will suddenly come to life.

So then I ask him for an estimate expecting $200ish and he says "$504"

WTF? You're telling me it's going to cost you as much to replace my fkin battery as replacing a WHEEL BEARING!?

I mean fine, I get that labor is expensive and I'd be getting an OEM battery and whatever but seriously!? And it's not like my battery is that difficult to access, IIRC it's in a panel in the trunk's side lining that's easy to remove. He could tell I was shocked so he goes on and tells me how batteries from Autozone are useless and I'll end up having to buy an OEM battery anyways "because of all of the electronics in the car." Which sounds like utter bullshit.

Question 2: Would an OEM battery really have any discernible advantage over a Duralast or whatever? Aren't the car's electronics run off of the alternator anyways?

I'm going to call the indie shop that did my ceramic brake pads and see how much he wants. I also need the microfilter replaced anyways. I would change the battery myself but apparently the car's system has to be reset. I might just change it myself and ask the shop to reset it.
      01-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Bmw's quote might actually be cheap considering if you DIY it and mess up the install and/or don't register the battery.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=battery
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Bmw's quote might actually be cheap considering if you DIY it and mess up the install and/or don't register the battery.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=battery
+1.

When I needed a wheel bearing on my out of warranty E46, I went to an independant shop & had it done for $325 . Some things you don't need the dealer for - but as Chriztofor said, the battery isn't one of them.

But you might check other dealers as $300~$400 seems to be the average, including registration.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
BOOST3D
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 328i 2000,X5 2003,2008 335i

I have an aftermarket battery in my car has been perfect. The dealer is just giving u bs
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Dalscboy
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

the dealer charged me 300 for an OEM battery for a 2006 325i and said there is no need to register anything for this vehicle. I got 5.5 yrs out of original and replaced it just in case of extremely cold weather
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalscboy View Post
the dealer charged me 300 for an OEM battery for a 2006 325i and said there is no need to register anything for this vehicle. I got 5.5 yrs out of original and replaced it just in case of extremely cold weather
id steer clear of that dealership...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Higgs1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model 3

Garage List
my car is going into the shop tomorrow for a new battery, I was quoted $350 installed and programmed at my dealership, which I'm willing to pay since the battery I was looking at was about $140ish + $130 to program = 270 so for an additional $80 to have OEM i think its worth it for peace of mind, but to each their own
Appreciate 0