E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Starting Build with Reliability Mods

07-24-2018, 12:58 AM   #1
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 N55

Starting Build with Reliability Mods

Hey Folks, I'm getting my build started for my N55 335i E90. The direction I'm headed in first is "reliability" mods before power mods. It's the boring route, but I'd like to make sure my car is healthy enough to put down more power later. The parts I'm interested in not only provide more reliability for the N55, but also serves as an overall upgrade part for part. I'm stock so far, but plan on installing the following:

- VRSF Charge Pipe
- VRSF Turbo Outlet Charge Pipe
- VRSF Lower Charge Pipe
- BMS Oil Catch Can
- BMS Oil Cooler Valve
- GFB DV+
- Pure High Flow Inlet Pipe (plan on upgrading to PS2 in the future)
- K&N Air Filter

Other than that I'm stuck on what to do next. I've gotten my regular maintenance repairs (i.e. water pump, oil filter housing, battery, etc.), so I'm ready for mods.

Any suggestions on other "reliable" mods that could help?

Last edited by DYOOS; 07-24-2018 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
Eckohwd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYOOS View Post
Hey Folks, I'm getting my build started for my N55 335i E90. The direction I'm first heading in is "reliability" mods before power mods. It's the boring route, but I'd like to make sure my car is healthy enough to put down more power later. I'm stock so far, but plan on installing the following:

- VRSF Charge Pipe
- VRSF Lower Charge Pipe
- BMS Oil Catch Can
- BMS Oil Cooler Valve
- GFB DV+
- K&N Air Filter

Other than that I'm stuck on what to do next. I've gotten my regular maintenance repairs (i.e. water pump, oil filter housing, battery, etc.), so I'm ready for mods. Any suggestions on other "reliable" mods that could help?
Quote:
Hey Folks, I'm getting my build started for my N55 335i E90. The direction I'm first heading in is "reliability" mods before power mods. It's the boring route, but I'd like to make sure my car is healthy enough to put down more power later. I'm stock so far, but plan on installing the following:

- VRSF Charge Pipe
- VRSF Lower Charge Pipe
- BMS Oil Catch Can
- BMS Oil Cooler Valve
- GFB DV+
- K&N Air Filter

Other than that I'm stuck on what to do next. I've gotten my regular maintenance repairs (i.e. water pump, oil filter housing, battery, etc.), so I'm ready for mods. Any suggestions on other "reliable" mods that could help?
lol id say thats almost it, fmic after that suspension work, def going to need tires to have any type of traction, do that before you get suspension work, again you dont want to spin out while gassing it, n eventually a tranny because it will give out so just save up for that!! not all mods give you power, somemods like a new tranny will open up more of the current power the car has + a tune man shit can get crazy quick lol
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:28 AM   #3
xxMike61
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

I'd say first start with an oil analysis test first to see if you'll run into any trouble down the road
DYOOS88.00
      07-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Hey Folks, I'm getting my build started for my N55 335i E90. The direction I'm headed in first is "reliability" mods before power mods. It's the boring route, but I'd like to make sure my car is healthy enough to put down more power later. The parts I'm interested in not only provide more reliability for the N55, but also serves as an overall upgrade part for part. I'm stock so far, but plan on installing the following:

- VRSF Charge Pipe
- VRSF Lower Charge Pipe
- BMS Oil Catch Can
- BMS Oil Cooler Valve
- GFB DV+
- K&N Air Filter

Other than that I'm stuck on what to do next. I've gotten my regular maintenance repairs (i.e. water pump, oil filter housing, battery, etc.), so I'm ready for mods.

Any suggestions on other "reliable" mods that could help?
I would suggest doing some of those at the time of the PS2 upgrade, as parts like the DV+ and lower turbo plumbing will require a decent amount of labor to install. If you do that during the PS2 install you won't overlap on labor. I would include an intercooler in there as well, as colder IATs are always a good thing.

Also, one thing I wish I did first before power mods on my car is suspension work. Going FBO on stock/original suspension components with 80k miles on them really made me realize how garbage the stock suspension setup is on these cars. When I first bought my car, it was stock and I went straight for the power mods (DP, intercooler, intake, CP, exhaust, 550i clutch). Once running Stage 2+, I could barely even use the power on stock tire sizes and suspension. If I was to do it again I would do wheels and tires first, suspension second, then move to power mods.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
DYOOS88.00
      07-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I would suggest doing some of those at the time of the PS2 upgrade, as parts like the DV+ and lower turbo plumbing will require a decent amount of labor to install. If you do that during the PS2 install you won't overlap on labor. I would include an intercooler in there as well, as colder IATs are always a good thing.

Also, one thing I wish I did first before power mods on my car is suspension work. Going FBO on stock/original suspension components with 80k miles on them really made me realize how garbage the stock suspension setup is on these cars. When I first bought my car, it was stock and I went straight for the power mods (DP, intercooler, intake, CP, exhaust, 550i clutch). Once running Stage 2+, I could barely even use the power on stock tire sizes and suspension. If I was to do it again I would do wheels and tires first, suspension second, then move to power mods.
So as far as the mods to put off until I'm ready to do PS2 upgrade are:
- GFB DV+

I actually have an M Sport, so I do have the sport suspension. It could always be better, but for now I'm fine with it.

I am planning on getting a FMIC soon and bundling that with my install of the other parts.

As far as other parts, I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that N20 spark plugs would be a good upgrade for the E90 as opposed to our OE ones.
      07-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

You are better off replacing ignition coils and spark plugs than any pipes.. especially catch can.. useless for N55.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So as far as the mods to put off until I'm ready to do PS2 upgrade are:
- GFB DV+

I actually have an M Sport, so I do have the sport suspension. It could always be better, but for now I'm fine with it.

I am planning on getting a FMIC soon and bundling that with my install of the other parts.

As far as other parts, I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that N20 spark plugs would be a good upgrade for the E90 as opposed to our OE ones.
I have the sport suspension too. With all the extra torque that FBO/PS2 brings, it really unsettles the car. Even more so if you're higher mileage. On throttle with stock sport suspension and FBO you'll feel the car float/twist in a really unsettling way. If anything maybe look into the rear subframe bushings/inserts.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
You are better off replacing ignition coils and spark plugs than any pipes.. especially catch can.. useless for N55.
I'm definitely planning on replacing spark plugs, but ignition coils down the road once it's time.

I plan on going PS2 in the future, so that catch can is going to be useful. I've also noticed some oil leaking into my CP, so catch can will help minimize oil leaks.
      07-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the sport suspension too. With all the extra torque that FBO/PS2 brings, it really unsettles the car. Even more so if you're higher mileage. On throttle with stock sport suspension and FBO you'll feel the car float/twist in a really unsettling way. If anything maybe look into the rear subframe bushings/inserts.
This is solid feedback from your experience. I haven't thought about suspension work yet, but I'm considering it more now. Any suggestions on which coils to get?
      07-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
LiquidREVUP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 N55 6AT

You got most of the preventative maintenance out of the way but plugs and coils are a must. Also, since you plan on modding and upping the boost, gap the plugs to .022.

Also a good upgraded FMIC to keep IAT's down will help as well. I went with the 7 inch VRSF HD core on my N55.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #11
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidREVUP View Post
You got most of the preventative maintenance out of the way but plugs and coils are a must. Also, since you plan on modding and upping the boost, gap the plugs to .022.

Also a good upgraded FMIC to keep IAT's down will help as well. I went with the 7 inch VRSF HD core on my N55.
That FMIC is the one I'm looking it.

As for spark plugs, do you recommend any brand outside of Bosch? I was reading somewhere (can't find it anymore) that spark plugs from the N20 engine would provide an upgrade?

Also, I'm sure there's nothing too fancy about ignition coils, but I could be wrong.
      07-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
LiquidREVUP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That FMIC is the one I'm looking it.

As for spark plugs, do you recommend any brand outside of Bosch? I was reading somewhere (can't find it anymore) that spark plugs from the N20 engine would provide an upgrade?

Also, I'm sure there's nothing too fancy about ignition coils, but I could be wrong.
I love my VRSF FMIC HD core, I haven't seen IAT's over 109F degrees even when pushing it when its 90+ degrees outside.

I went with NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs SILZKBR8D8S (97506). These are the perfect heat range (8) for boosting over stock.

For coils, either Bosch or Delphi work great.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is solid feedback from your experience. I haven't thought about suspension work yet, but I'm considering it more now. Any suggestions on which coils to get?
After many months of research, I ended up going with the ST coilovers, which are the same as the KW but without the stainless steel bodies. I initially wanted to go with Koni yellows/Bilstiens and H&R springs, but the Koni/Bilstiens are on national backorder right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #14
LiquidREVUP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After many months of research, I ended up going with the ST coilovers, which are the same as the KW but without the stainless steel bodies. I initially wanted to go with Koni yellows/Bilstiens and H&R springs, but the Koni/Bilstiens are on national backorder right now.
Luckily my E90 was optioned with the M sport suspension. Upgrading to Bilstein B8's with the M sport springs is working great so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
hibye19013
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive

IMHO, save the money on the oil catch can for other mods. K&N filter is a great route to go if trying to save money. It works perfect even with my mods. Definitely change the plugs and coils, I found out the hard way after going FBO and a tune. Limp mode is no fun on the highway. A new charge pipe should be done ASAP.

Are you RWD or AWD?
2011 335xi | Pure Stg 2 Turbo + inlet + GFB DV | ETS 5" FMIC | VRSF Catless DP + CP | HKS Legamax exhaust | Fuel-it Stg 2 LPFP | K&N drop-in | N20 TMAP | MHD | xHP Stg 3 | ER Oil Cooler | CSF Radiator | Eibach Pro Springs | Bilstein B6 | F30 M Performance Brakes | Eibach RSB | 18" Enkei Raijin | Michelin PSS 225/40-18 |
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #16
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love my VRSF FMIC HD core, I haven't seen IAT's over 109F degrees even when pushing it when its 90+ degrees outside.

I went with NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs SILZKBR8D8S (97506). These are the perfect heat range (8) for boosting over stock.

Thanks for the input on the plugs and coils. I'll definitely look into those.

Quote:
Heard good things about all those set ups. Just need to dive into a bit more thorough research on them.

Quote:
Luckily my E90 was optioned with the M sport suspension. Upgrading to Bilstein B8's with the M sport springs is working great so far.
Hm, interesting. Haven't thought about using my M Sport springs with Bilstein B8's or any other shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibye19013 View Post
IMHO, save the money on the oil catch can for other mods. K&N filter is a great route to go if trying to save money. It works perfect even with my mods. Definitely change the plugs and coils, I found out the hard way after going FBO and a tune. Limp mode is no fun on the highway. A new charge pipe should be done ASAP.

Are you RWD or AWD?
I already bought the oil catch can. I'm happy with my purchase. Gives me a peace of mind. After I installed my VRSF CP, I noticed my OE CP had some oil in it. Any thing will help minimize oil leakage I am all down for.

I'm RWD.
      07-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
LiquidREVUP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input on the plugs and coils. I'll definitely look into those.

Quote:
Heard good things about all those set ups. Just need to dive into a bit more thorough research on them.

Quote:
Hm, interesting. Haven't thought about using my M Sport springs with Bilstein B8's or any other shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibye19013 View Post

Are you RWD or AWD?
I already bought the oil catch can. I'm happy with my purchase. Gives me a peace of mind. After I installed my VRSF CP, I noticed my OE CP had some oil in it. Any thing will help minimize oil leakage I am all down for.

I'm RWD.
I have the BMS oil catch can on my N55. It really is more peace of mind more than anything. I checked it and emptied it after 2000 miles and it did have some oil in there. You also have to trim the engine cover for the hoses to fit.
Attached Images

VRSF 7’’ HD core FMIC | VRSF 2.5’’ Lower CP | VRSF 3’’ Upper CP | VRSF 3.5’’ Catless DP | BMS OCC | BMS Sport OCV | N20 TMAP | MHD E30 v1.51 beta | xHP Stage 3 v2.0 | 19” 351m wheels | M Sport springs | Bilstein B8 |
IG: @liquidrevup
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #18
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the BMS oil catch can on my N55. It really is more peace of mind more than anything. I checked it and emptied it after 2000 miles and it did have some oil in there. You also have to trim the engine cover for the hoses to fit.
That's good to hear. At least it's working to keep access oil spillage. Is emptying the catch can an easy job? I'm assuming if you get your oil change they can just get that emptied too.
      07-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #19
LiquidREVUP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's good to hear. At least it's working to keep access oil spillage. Is emptying the catch can an easy job? I'm assuming if you get your oil change they can just get that emptied too.
It's Very easy. You just unscrew the cup and pour it out and wipe the inside. I unscrewed the 2 top Allen bolts holding the can in place to gain better access but it's literally a 5 minutes job.
VRSF 7’’ HD core FMIC | VRSF 2.5’’ Lower CP | VRSF 3’’ Upper CP | VRSF 3.5’’ Catless DP | BMS OCC | BMS Sport OCV | N20 TMAP | MHD E30 v1.51 beta | xHP Stage 3 v2.0 | 19” 351m wheels | M Sport springs | Bilstein B8 |
Appreciate 1
DYOOS88.00
      07-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #20
ShaneN55
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1966 Mustang  [0.00]
I'm FBO with no intake/exhaust on PS2 really enjoy it. I don't have the VRSF Turbo Outlet piece or an intake lol. Although I'm sure I'll get them at some point. I would go with BC Racing coils. Not very expensive and they feel absolutely amazing.
      08-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #21
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm planning on being FBO with the "reliability mods" listed above soon. I'd like to run the NGK 97506 2-Step Colder Spark Plug, but would these spark plugs be worth it if I'm not planning on running E85 or meth anytime soon?
      08-01-2018, 01:11 AM   #22
LiquidREVUP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm planning on being FBO with the "reliability mods" listed above soon. I'd like to run the NGK 97506 2-Step Colder Spark Plug, but would these spark plugs be worth it if I'm not planning on running E85 or meth anytime soon?
Still worth it if you are running higher than stock boost.
Appreciate 0