E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Switch problem or frm problem?

09-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Alienmarshall
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92

Switch problem or frm problem?

My driver door window switches that control the two side windows on my two E92 do not do anything. The mirrors are in the same switch assembly and they work fine, the passenger window switch works fine, and the drivers and passenger windows both move up and down when you open or close the door as they should. I am thinking it’s a bad switch but need help determining it it is the frm- how would I know if it’s an issue in the frm? I just bought this and it’s my first bmw, I feel confident it’s the switch but have read on here that the frm can cause similar issues - how would I know if the problem is due to the frm? Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Try this.. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...motors/Xn9y4Gq

Last edited by Tunafish; 09-26-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienmarshall View Post
My driver door window switches that control the two side windows on my two E92 do not do anything. The mirrors are in the same switch assembly and they work fine, the passenger window switch works fine, and the drivers and passenger windows both move up and down when you open or close the door as they should...
If you will provide the Last-7 Characters of your VIN, I will provide you with links to the TIS circuit diagrams that are applicable to the Window circuits and Driver Door Switch Cluster on YOUR specific vehicle. I'll also explain how YOU can do that yourself if you're interested. Different Bus/ wiring systems were used on different models & years to get the door switch signals to the FRM to Activate the Window Motors.

INPA or ISTA BMW Diagnostic Software allow you to "see" whether an INPUT from a switch or button is being received by the Module. In this case, either Software will show you that the FRM is receiving the Window Switch signal from either Driver door switch or the Passenger door switch. INPA/ISTA also allow you to test the OUPUT side of the function. In this case you can "Activate" either window motor by essentially applying the signal an operative window switch would provide, and seeing if the window raises or lowers. That "Activation" function "by-passes" the switch signal and triggers window operation via "Over-ride" signal to the Module via the software.

You could also use the mechanical key in the Driver Door and turn the key 90 degrees Counter-clockwise for several seconds to see if both windows go down, and then change to Clockwise rotation of key in lock to reverse window motor direction. If THAT works and the windows drop slightly on door opening, then my SWAG is that the FRM is fine, and you have a loose/ corroded/ broken wire/ connection in the Switch Cluster wiring. If it were a mechanical problem with switch contacts, I would NOT expect it to affect BOTH window switches on that cluster.

Have either of the two window switches worked during your ownership?
What event (getting wet, etc.) preceded NON-function?
Has any work been done on that door that required removal of the Door Trim Pad?

If you will furnish your VIN Last-7, we can suggest specific things to check. Also consider installing either INPA/ISTA if you are planning to keep & DIY your E92 for several years.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Alienmarshall
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92

George thanks so much for be willing to help me out! I have never heard of inpa/ISTA, it sounds like some sort of onboard diagnostic? I just purchased the car, I have no history on any work done, however I did remove the driver door window switch and it is obvious someone else has been in there before to inspect it also. The switch is mechanically broken from previous owners attempt at inspection.

The last seven of my vin are PU89987

The windows do go up and down with the key in the door On the driver side

The windows do go up and down a fraction when opening and closing the doors.

Hope that helps, I do feel it is the switch after doing the key in the door test you suggested.
Appreciate 0