E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cylinder 1 and 5 misfire-07 335i e90

08-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #23
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
You just made a post stating its ether wiring harness or injectors,

I'm not saying it can't be an electrical issue, but the point was to check the Injectors. If he's done that already then fine. But giving a 100% guarantee that it's not injectors but an electrical issue on the through a forum seems funny, since you haven't checked his car.
Yeah, I don't have words for this.

Yes I did make a post stating it's either the wiring harness or the injectors. You seem to think that because I'm saying the OP's problem is not a LEAKING injector that I'm saying it's not an injector problem (even though I've made it clear it is an injector problem from the beginning). I even bolded and italicized that key word "leaking" in my first response to you.

Checking to see if fuel is leaking out of an injector (in its off or de-energized state) has literally nothing to do with checking to see if the electrical component of the injector has failed. Do you understand this? Your comments reflect that you don't.
      08-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #24
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Quote:
You just made a post stating its ether wiring harness or injectors,

I'm not saying it can't be an electrical issue, but the point was to check the Injectors. If he's done that already then fine. But giving a 100% guarantee that it's not injectors but an electrical issue on the through a forum seems funny, since you haven't checked his car.
Yeah, I don't have words for this.

Yes I did make a post stating it's either the wiring harness or the injectors. You seem to think that because I'm saying the OP's problem is not a LEAKING injector that I'm saying it's not an injector problem (even though I've made it clear it is an injector problem from the beginning). I even bolded and italicized that key word "leaking" in my first response to you.

Checking to see if fuel is leaking out of an injector (in its off or de-energized state) has literally nothing to do with checking to see if the electrical component of the injector has failed. Do you understand this? Your comments reflect that you don't.
damn y'all crazy
didn't smell or see fuel on the plugs

but now also have my injector fuel rod off so obvi there is a fuel smell now
will try to switch injectors out later today when i have better tools, JUST to see if that is the problem

coils, plugs, connectors, and the grounds have all been cleaned (they had some oil on them) and the harness checks out ok by the looks

if i don't isolate the injector as a a problem i will go through the harness and check everything

if not that my last step would be to check the dme and see if the mosfets are bad

still find it very weird that i have a trans light, and whatever my electrical problem is keeps draining the battery
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #25
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghynds View Post
damn y'all crazy
didn't smell or see fuel on the plugs

but now also have my injector fuel rod off so obvi there is a fuel smell now
will try to switch injectors out later today when i have better tools, JUST to see if that is the problem

coils, plugs, connectors, and the grounds have all been cleaned (they had some oil on them) and the harness checks out ok by the looks

if i don't isolate the injector as a a problem i will go through the harness and check everything

if not that my last step would be to check the dme and see if the mosfets are bad

still find it very weird that i have a trans light, and whatever my electrical problem is keeps draining the battery
Well certainly make sure your battery is nice and charged. A low battery can lead to all sorts of strange things in these cars.

And I'm not really trying to win an argument. I do want people to have a right understanding that certain codes point to certain faults. That understanding enables us to take advantage of their specificity and not go down endless rabbit holes.
      08-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #26
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Now what do you mean this electrical problem keeps draining your battery? How quickly? Did this issue begin after some crazy rain? Was the battery draining before you cleaned some connections?
      08-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #27
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now what do you mean this electrical problem keeps draining your battery? How quickly? Did this issue begin after some crazy rain? Was the battery draining before you cleaned some connections?
all good i understand

but the day after the problem started it started the battery problem the car battery died overnight and nothing was left on, charged battery again n now today it is dead, never had a problem with it until now, leaving it on a slow charger until i get injectors switched

did have some bad rain but drove the car just fine after until it slowly started to act up then just give out completely
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #28
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Interesting. That makes it sound like a possible issue with the DME. Have you opened up the compartment where it lives to see if it's wet?
      08-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #29
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. That makes it sound like a possible issue with the DME. Have you opened up the compartment where it lives to see if it's wet?
was gonna try that but couldn't get the cover off it seems way to brittle and fragile to even mess with

however i may have found the problem or actually most likely another problem, the valve cover i replaced abt 3k miles ago is leaking oil in the middle even though it's brand new, oil seems to be leaking and getting on to the plugs hence why i have some oil residue on everything in that area

still have tried cleaning the coil and plugs connections but no solution

anyway the oil has gotten in by an injector and ruined anything?

just seems it's just another problem but my main one still points to my injectors

just going to have a bmw guy stop by one day this week to check out everything see what he thinks, will keep posted on what happens
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #30
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I would assume your leaking VCG is another problem. And if it's any consolation, you're far from the only one to replace it only to find out the new one is leaking.
      09-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #31
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I would assume your leaking VCG is another problem. And if it's any consolation, you're far from the only one to replace it only to find out the new one is leaking.
Bmw guy wants to put a new valve cover, new fuel pump, and all new injectors safe to say i'll be finding another way, start with swapping out used injectors with new rings
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #32
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
new valve cover, no leaks, all new coils, all new index 12 injectors, spark plugs are still good, still getting the misfire in cylinder 1 and 5, made sure my injectors were coded right too
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #33
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
new valve cover, no leaks, all new coils, all new index 12 injectors, spark plugs are still good, still getting the misfire in cylinder 1 and 5, made sure my injectors were coded right too
Assuming you already swapped plugs to see if misfire follows?

Have you done a log after all the above?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #34
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Assuming you already swapped plugs to see if misfire follows?

Have you done a log after all the above?
Actually turned out to be the plugs even tho they had abt 1k miles on them couldn't believe it
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #35
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Actually turned out to be the plugs even tho they had abt 1k miles on them couldn't believe it
Good news is, it was a easy fix.

Out of curiosity which plugs did you have and which did you install?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:12 AM   #36
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good news is, it was a easy fix.

Out of curiosity which plugs did you have and which did you install?
I had the platinum bosch ones and replaced them for the copper bosch ones only ones the auto parts store had and i just wanted the car fixed hopefully these will last more than 2k
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:50 AM   #37
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I had the platinum bosch ones and replaced them for the copper bosch ones only ones the auto parts store had and i just wanted the car fixed hopefully these will last more than 2k
2k, that is ridiculous short time,

Stock OEM ones Should last, Mechanic recommended replacing them every 7.5k miles.

Using OEM Bosch ones myself, been well over a year, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #38
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2k, that is ridiculous short time,

Stock OEM ones Should last, Mechanic recommended replacing them every 7.5k miles.

Using OEM Bosch ones myself, been well over a year, no issues.
dude i must have just got a defective ones or dropped in shipping i just had another one go bad in a completely different cylinder
Appreciate 0