E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Comfort Access Coding

07-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
pika1460
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

Comfort Access Coding

Hi guys. the car in question is a 2009 e92 328i with Comfort Access. I recently lost my key and had a new one sent to me from the dealer. After putting it in the ignition and pressing down for 10s it can now start the car and lock/unlock doors from the buttons, but CA won't work.

Is there any way for me to program the new key into the CAS myself without a trip to the dealer? (it's a 2 hour drive). I am technically inclined and have been looking for an excuse to buy a coding cable for a while now.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika1460 View Post
Hi guys. the car in question is a 2009 e92 328i with Comfort Access. I recently lost my key and had a new one sent to me from the dealer. After putting it in the ignition and pressing down for 10s it can now start the car and lock/unlock doors from the buttons, but CA won't work.

Is there any way for me to program the new key into the CAS myself without a trip to the dealer? (it's a 2 hour drive). I am technically inclined and have been looking for an excuse to buy a coding cable for a while now.

Thanks!
You need use DIS/GT1.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
You need use DIS/GT1.
can you elaborate more on this?
key status can not be changed in Rheingold?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

All you should need to do is disable the lost key. You can do that with lots of different software, I use tool32, because it loads quickly, and it's easy to use. But you can use Rheingold.

There are 3 types of keys, 2=transponder (plastic key), 4=remote key (non-CA), and 5=CA key.

CA will only work with 2 keys at a time - 2 type 5 keys with the lowest key numbers. So, the key you lost is obviously a type 5, with a lower key number, so you need to disable it, so the new key will work with CA.

In Tool32 with CAS.prg, there are 4 jobs.

1) status_aktuell_schluessel - returns information for the key in the keyslot. For each key you have, look at the key_type, and key_number.

2) status_schuessel_frei_gesperrt - returns the key numbers 1-10 and whether the key is enabled, or disabled. Enabled will have value '1', disabled '0' (I think! I could have this backwards. You can tell by looking at the values for the keys you have that work).

3) steuern_schluessel_gesperrt and 4) steuern_schluessel_freigeben disables, and enables keys.

Take each of the keys you have, and run job one above, and get the key type, and key number of each.

**NOTE** Key number in 1 is relative to zero, in the other jobs, it's relative to 1. So, if status_aktuell_schluessel returns key_number '3', and you want to make sure it's enabled, in the other jobs it's key_number '4'.

Use job 2, and see what keys are enabled, and disable the key you lost. Friegeben means 'release' in German, and gesperrt means 'block'. So, I think you want to run steuern_schluessel_gesperrt with the key number of the lost key.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman
All you should need to do is disable the lost key. You can do that with lots of different software, I use tool32, because it loads quickly, and it's easy to use. But you can use Rheingold.

There are 3 types of keys, 2=transponder (plastic key), 4=remote key (non-CA), and 5=CA key.

CA will only work with 2 keys at a time - 2 type 5 keys with the lowest key numbers. So, the key you lost is obviously a type 5, with a lower key number, so you need to disable it, so the new key will work with CA.

In Tool32 with CAS.prg, there are 4 jobs.

1) status_aktuell_schluessel - returns information for the key in the keyslot. For each key you have, look at the key_type, and key_number.

2) status_schuessel_frei_gesperrt - returns the key numbers 1-10 and whether the key is enabled, or disabled. Enabled will have value '1', disabled '0' (I think! I could have this backwards. You can tell by looking at the values for the keys you have that work).

3) steuern_schluessel_gesperrt and 4) steuern_schluessel_freigeben disables, and enables keys.

Take each of the keys you have, and run job one above, and get the key type, and key number of each.

**NOTE** Key number in 1 is relative to zero, in the other jobs, it's relative to 1. So, if status_aktuell_schluessel returns key_number '3', and you want to make sure it's enabled, in the other jobs it's key_number '4'.

Use job 2, and see what keys are enabled, and disable the key you lost. Friegeben means 'release' in German, and gesperrt means 'block'. So, I think you want to run steuern_schluessel_gesperrt with the key number of the lost key.
Is there a command in tool32 to change key type? Let say from 4 to 5 (non CA to CA)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
Is there a command in tool32 to change key type? Let say from 4 to 5 (non CA to CA)

Thanks
No. The key type is coded on the transponder chip, and is only able to be written once. So, when the key is first programmed, it is set.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
e90reborn
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2010 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Enabled will have value '1', disabled '0' (I think! I could have this backwards.
I have just confirmed it's the opposite. I had ZERO for all keys by default and a single key changed to ONE when I disabled it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
drumm8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 zhp

If anyone is trying to figure out how to do this and does not have the time to fiddle with INPA, tool32, and all the fun stuff, I suggest getting a Foxwell NT520. It makes life much easier as it can do a lot of the common functions like this through a simple, easy to use interface that does not involve you installing anything on your computer or learning complicated BMW software. I can confirm that it is capable of removing a lost key so that your new key can be added. If you get the NT520 and need help to get your key working, pm me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Atskiboi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E91

When I look at my key number its says 00. Does it mean that key 1 needs to be enabled?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #10
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

I too have questions. I am not sure how to read what is displayed as key numbers or key type. I also muddled through deactivating one key in my system. I appears that my keys may be # "0" and # "1" (the first two key slots) but the problem I am trying to solve is that only one of my keys have comfort access even though BOTH keys are CA keys.
A guy made me one of the keys and he tried for a little while to get both working with CA but time was short so we called it a day. He believes I have a coding issue that screwed things up, which is possible. BOTH work from the remote but like I said only 1 has CA. I have replaced the battery, etc. plus it does work as a key fob, just no CA. Anything in coding that I could have messed up?? Anywhere I can check for enabling CA? I have looked and see references to different keys and features in NCS Expert but all of them seem to have the same features enabled or disabled.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 04:31 AM   #11
drrm123
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper s

Thanks Mashman was able to get comfort access to work on a 2008 Mini Cooper according to your instructions using tool32. Removed 1 key I didn’t have on a car purchased from a auction. Didn’t have to go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0