E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52- Valvetronic issue after VCG replacement

05-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Eins Suchtig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 128i MSport

N52- Valvetronic issue after VCG replacement

Hi,

Cross -posting here , looking for more inputs/suggestions.

Looking for help. N52 gurus please show up!

Car is a 2011 128i, MSport Manual, 58K miles.

I changed the valve cover gasket and related items due to oil leakage after stopping the car for 2 weeks due to COVID lockdown. Well, when I finished the process, using mainly the FCP Euro video, the car started with difficulty, misfires, etc. I turned off and started again. Christmas tree in the dash due to a completely drained battery (about 11 volts). Exchanged for a new battery, car started immediately with some idle hunting. After a few miles I noticed RPM and power were very limited. The limp mode , half engine light came up, but eventually went off. Still no power . I scanned codes (Schwaben/Foxwell NT510). It had a ton of codes due to the dead battery, which I cleared . Drove again and now I still have code 2A39 - DME VALVETRONIC ADJUSMENT RANGE. Cleared the code, did the procedure for setting the max and min limits with the Schwaben/Foxwell scanner, but when rechecking the code is still there. Drove the car and still limited power/RPMs. Repeated several times the code clearing - max/min procedure but the code keeps coming again and no power/RPMs

Any clues on what is preventing the DME from learning the min-max setpoints?

Any sense on clearing adaptations ? Have never done it.

PD; Car has BPC off road tune, AA headers & axle back exhaust, DISA and AFE intake. All mods were done 3 years ago without any issues. Car ran perfect .
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
franksinatra
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i 2011

I had a similar issue after putting my car back together. Two things that caused me problems.

1. Check all of your grounds!
2. Do the Valvetronic learn procedure in ISTA and relearn adaptations (these are two separate things). This is good practice but a lot of people do these jobs without access to ISTA so it may not be required. I'm just saying it here because when I did it, things went back to normal but it could have been solely due to the ground.

If the car ran great before the valve cover job, nothing in the replacement would cause it to suddenly start having all these problems. Just go over all of your work and you'll probably find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Eins Suchtig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksinatra View Post
I had a similar issue after putting my car back together. Two things that caused me problems.

1. Check all of your grounds!
2. Do the Valvetronic learn procedure in ISTA and relearn adaptations (these are two separate things). This is good practice but a lot of people do these jobs without access to ISTA so it may not be required. I'm just saying it here because when I did it, things went back to normal but it could have been solely due to the ground.

If the car ran great before the valve cover job, nothing in the replacement would cause it to suddenly start having all these problems. Just go over all of your work and you'll probably find the problem.
Thanks, based on your inputs and others from the 1series forum, I will go back and remove the valvetronic motor, carefully re-install it avoiding tension when tightening it in , then reset limits. At that point I can check the 2 grounds attached to the valve cover to assure these are tight. Will report back if this solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
Eins Suchtig
Private First Class
Rep

Found the cause.... Valvetronic motor plug disconnected.... Plugged in , started up and everything fine now. I guess I didn't pushed until it snaps, the 1st time. Lesson learned, double check everything. Thanks all for your responses!
Appreciate 0