E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bump stops

05-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Bump stops

Hello all. I was swapping my summer wheels and tires on today and noticed the bump stop is falling apart as it's more like the letter "C" then the "O" it is supposed to be. Not really interested in pulling my suspension apart to fix a bump stop(didn't check others as I noticed this swapping my last rim). I suppose I could try to clean and tape it while on the car, but thinking that will be a big waste of time as I don't think tape will hold up. Anyone have any experience or expertise regarding these stupid things? Am I okay to just remove them all? Seems the dust cap is below the bump stop so I don't think they say keep dirt and debris out. My brother suggested I just pull the fronts so it is symmetrical. My car is a 328xi with kW coil overs. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'd leave them until they fall off. They protect your struts from bottoming out. Something is better than nothing.
      05-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I'd leave them until they fall off. They protect your struts from bottoming out. Something is better than nothing.
That makes sense but part of me thought there is no way those springs would ever get fully compressed so it wouldn't matter if they are there or not. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
That makes sense but part of me thought there is no way those springs would ever get fully compressed so it wouldn't matter if they are there or not. Thanks for the feedback.
Well you should reconsider that opinion then. You'll be in for an absolute brutal driving experience if you think you can just remove those bump stops. Why do you think they are all torn in the first place? Just hitting a small bump will put the car down onto the bump stop.

Cut off the old ones. You can slice open new ones and get them on. Put 2-3 zip ties around the bump stop to keep it clamped in place. Should work fine without needing to remove the strut from the car. Just might be difficult to get the bump stop between the spring.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:
Well you should reconsider that opinion then. You'll be in for an absolute brutal driving experience if you think you can just remove those bump stops. Why do you think they are all torn in the first place? Just hitting a small bump will put the car down onto the bump stop.

Cut off the old ones. You can slice open new ones and get them on. Put 2-3 zip ties around the bump stop to keep it clamped in place. Should work fine without needing to remove the strut from the car. Just might be difficult to get the bump stop between the spring.
Yeah, good point, also, good idea. Doesn't appear as if kw sells them separately so I guess I'll go with stock m sport bump stops and cut them to be the length as what came on the kw's. Thinking if the stock m sports aren't the same as non m sports, m sports would be geared more towards performance and mimic the kw bump stops better then 328xi stops.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
The springs definitely get compressed which is why your bump stop is falling apart. I'd find new ones or try zip tying that one together as suggested
      05-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Yea new bump stops made a huge difference in my car. Mine disintegrated and I was rubbing/bottoming out a lot. Ordered some new ones, used a razor knife to cut down the side, and got them on that way. Wasn’t too hard.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah.s View Post
Yea new bump stops made a huge difference in my car. Mine disintegrated and I was rubbing/bottoming out a lot. Ordered some new ones, used a razor knife to cut down the side, and got them on that way. Wasn’t too hard.
Interesting, how long have they stayed on like that?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Interesting, how long have they stayed on like that?
Put them on around 1k miles before I sold the car. You could probably superglue or epoxy the cut to be safe. There was no way I was going to take the spring off again to do it. Also, I figured cutting more at an angle rather than straight might help it stay on better when it’s compressed.

It’s pretty easy to get them on. What I did was jack the car up, first using the cut side get the bump stop sideways around the spring where you’ve got the biggest gap, spin it around so you can pull it off inside the spring, squish and turn it right side up, and then push around the shock. Took a minute or two each side.
Appreciate 0