E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Transmission Fault

05-21-2020, 03:16 AM   #1
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006

Transmission Fault

Hi Guys,

Had a bit of a scare yesterday. I drove around 9 miles slow traffic from central London to North London. Parked up and left the car for about 5 mins, till I had to move it.

When I went to switch it on, the car stuggled to turn over and was showing a transmission fault as can be seen below on the dash.

So I left it a few minutes and tried it again and it started fine, but the error came up, I drove it around the block at slow speeds before I parked up again, I let it run for a few mins before switching it off.

I then came back to the car a few hours later to go home, switch it on and it started fine, no errors, drove the car home 20miles with no issues.

The gearbox has been serviced around 60K miles, now on 107k miles and has run smooth with no issues.

Any ideas?

05-21-2020, 04:15 AM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Could be the gearbox oil level is marginal.
Changing up and down in slow traffic has caused an issue sufficient to trigger the fault code but "normal" driving has what oil there is in there flowing around the gearbox enough that the car is happy.

Had a similar problem with a Jag once that showed a gearbox with a cross through it on the dash. I added half a litre of oil to the gearbox and it was still running fine when I sold the car 50,000 miles later.
No signs of any leakage so I never found out where the oil went
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

as above,,get it on ramps and se if signs of any leaking,,
Appreciate 0