E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY - Register new battery

07-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #221
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post
I'm still alive and kicking Whats' up.
It's been 2.5 years since I've replaced it...i'm hoping it'd die in 2-3 months so I can get a free battery My wife's car Walmart battery died 2 weeks after 3 year warranty ran out and I had to pay over 1/2 the prorated replacement cost...2 weeks. How did they design it so perfectly right?

As for your question I don't remember exactly what made me believe it's 90Ah charging rate. I know stock battery is 90Ah and this EverStart Maxx might be designed for that. Or I thought someone else mentioned that in this long post early on.
I actually know that this battery can be coded as 95Ah but I didn't want to push to the max. It's been fine and no trouble so far after 2.5 years in hot AZ weather. It's Johnson Controls who makes them.

Good news is that you can just leave it alone with the charging code and just register it in Toolset32.
Had to ask if you're still around - I'm remember someone responding to someone who was really no longer around.

So you've gotten 2.5 years running it in AZ with the 90Ah profile? For what the battery costs, that wouldn't be too bad. It was actually cheaper than the H7. I guess not many cars can fit such a huge battery.

I got it registered right away with the Foxwell tool. I've been trying to decide whether to leave it in as a 90Ah or change it. Was convinced it was somewhere between 81 and 86 then saw you post. Guess I'll toss a coin.
      07-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #222
davejack
Rep
Drives: F22

ooh,for BMW battery registeration.I provide this collection website,include:
INPA Register BMW 7 Series New Battery
Register a new BMW Battery after replacement by Rheingold ISTA.
Rheingold ISTA Register New Battery for BMW F10

Check here:
https://www.car-auto-repair.com/tag/...-registration/
hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #223
brandlee
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi,

i have change my battery for a agm 80ah.
My old battery was a 90ah acid one.
I used ncs expert, edit klasse_batterie with a 80 ah_agm parameter,
Write it in the man file.
Register with tool32, but when i use INPA to read the ibs parameter, i can see 91 ah (so a 90 ah_agm battery) but not a 81 ah.

I do again all the steps, check all, but i can not read the write parameter in inpa (81 ah).
Any idea ?

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #224
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandlee View Post
Hi,

i have change my battery for a agm 80ah.
My old battery was a 90ah acid one.
I used ncs expert, edit klasse_batterie with a 80 ah_agm parameter,
Write it in the man file.
Register with tool32, but when i use INPA to read the ibs parameter, i can see 91 ah (so a 90 ah_agm battery) but not a 81 ah.

I do again all the steps, check all, but i can not read the write parameter in inpa (81 ah).
Any idea ?

Thanks for your help
Did you also modify your VO, and double check the CAS has the correct size coded now?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #225
brandlee
Rep
Drives: F10

Yes i have modify the VO and check the CAS many time (with ncsexpert and with ncsdummy).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #226
Toad335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

I keep getting an error when trying to register So frustrating as the battery install took under 15 minutes and I've been working for 2 hours to register it. I've tried all of the MEVD17kw.prg, MEVD174k.prg, MEVD176k.pgr and MSD80.prg. I have a 2012 F10 535xi N55. I don't have MEVD172kw.prg as referenced in Appendix A. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Rather than STATUS OKAY I get:

STATUS = ERROR_ECU_SUBFUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED__INVALID_FORMA T

I'm trying to use TOOL32 since I already have it and don't have ISTA-D yet. Getting that is more of a hassle than I can figure out right now, too. And it seems I shouldn't really need it.

Last edited by Toad335; 12-21-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #227
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad335 View Post
I keep getting an error when trying to register So frustrating as the battery install took under 15 minutes and I've been working for 2 hours to register it. I've tried all of the MEVD17kw.prg, MEVD174k.prg, MEVD176k.pgr and MSD80.prg. I have a 2012 F10 535xi N55. I don't have MEVD172kw.prg as referenced in Appendix A. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Rather than STATUS OKAY I get:

STATUS = ERROR_ECU_SUBFUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED__INVALID_FORMA T

I'm trying to use TOOL32 since I already have it and don't have ISTA-D yet. Getting that is more of a hassle than I can figure out right now, too. And it seems I shouldn't really need it.

Have you tried it in INPA? It's easy to find and I think it works.
      12-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #228
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you have an f30 you need the F30 daten files.
Most of the INpa downloads are set up for e90's only.

Is there and F30 coding board?

Don't know much about f30's but and esys cable has been
mentioned when people use them.

https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...a-fxx-t412793/

Last edited by ctuna; 12-21-2018 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #229
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

I got a H8 battery from AAP with 80 AH about the same as OEM. I installed it and hooked it up to INPA but there is no power module so I tried running the job in Tool32.exe and it says status OKAY. Is my battery registered?

Last edited by JunkyardDogg; 05-19-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #230
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
I got a H8 battery from AAP with 80 AH about the same as OEM. I installed it and hooked it up to INPA but there is no power module so I tried running the job in Tool32.exe and it says status OKAY. Is my battery registered?
The "Power Module" on MSV80 DME as used in 328i/xi with N52K engine is in the DME. Your MSD80 or later DME may differ, but when I connect INPA to my MSV80 DME, I can see what Ah rating (90) is selected. To do that, I select DME > F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F3, Power Module InfoField 2, and read "Battery Capacity in Ah." "Registration" is merely informational for tech reference. It does NOT affect how the battery is charged. It ONLY enters the current mileage for tech reference (NOT the date ;-), so make sure you keep a record of the date (you DO have a maintenance Database of course ;-), and/or it is shown on the battery case.

When you press F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F5, Batterietausch Registrieren (translated: "Register Replacement Battery"), ALL that does is enter the mileage shown on the odometer the instant you pressed "F5". You CAN use INPA to clear/Reset the "Histogram" which is the last 5 days of SOC & SOH, but that will be automatically overwritten in the next 5 days anyway, so NOT critical. Histogram Reset is NEXT menu item after Registration (DME > F5 > F5 > F6, Histogram). You CANNOT use INPA to change (1) Battery TYPE, or (2) Ah rating settings in the DME. Both of those are significant for proper charging of the battery by the alternator, and also for battery life, but the vehicle will operate fine without changing to correct settings. Use NCS to change settings ("coding").

If you replaced a 90 Ah FLA battery with an 80 Ah FLA, you probably will get approximately normal battery life & function WITHOUT changing to 80 Ah setting (IF 90 Ah is what is shown as current setting, as viewed using INPA above), BUT you should change the SETTING in the Power Module of the DME using NCS Dummy or something simple to use similar to that. If you changed battery TYPE (FLA to AGM or vice-versa) then even MORE reason to change setting in DME.

I'll attach the NCS screen that shows the choices of settings to the next post, so as NOT to mess up margins of this one. The actual screen you will see when connected to your vehicle will have "checkboxes" with the current setting being "checked" and changing is basically like using a Windows dialog box for changing settings.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #231
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

NCS Dummy Battery Type (Klasse Batterie)

Here is NCS Dummy Screen showing possible battery settings
This if for MSV80 DME as used in 328i/xi
Other Models may have CAS Module used for Power Module &
Battery Type & Ah rating (Klasse Batterie), so also check CAS
Format & Options available are basically same whether DME or CAS (?)
I have 328xi with N52K engine & MSV80 DME, so MSD80 on N54 & Modules
related to N55 likely are different

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #232
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
The "Power Module" on MSV80 DME as used in 328i/xi with N52K engine is in the DME. Your MSD80 or later DME may differ, but when I connect INPA to my MSV80 DME, I can see what Ah rating (90) is selected. To do that, I select DME > F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F3, Power Module InfoField 2, and read "Battery Capacity in Ah." "Registration" is merely informational for tech reference. It does NOT affect how the battery is charged. It ONLY enters the current mileage for tech reference (NOT the date ;-), so make sure you keep a record of the date (you DO have a maintenance Database of course ;-), and/or it is shown on the battery case.

When you press F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F5, Batterietausch Registrieren (translated: "Register Replacement Battery"), ALL that does is enter the mileage shown on the odometer the instant you pressed "F5". You CAN use INPA to clear/Reset the "Histogram" which is the last 5 days of SOC & SOH, but that will be automatically overwritten in the next 5 days anyway, so NOT critical. Histogram Reset is NEXT menu item after Registration (DME > F5 > F5 > F6, Histogram). You CANNOT use INPA to change (1) Battery TYPE, or (2) Ah rating settings in the DME. Both of those are significant for proper charging of the battery by the alternator, and also for battery life, but the vehicle will operate fine without changing to correct settings. Use NCS to change settings ("coding").

If you replaced a 90 Ah FLA battery with an 80 Ah FLA, you probably will get approximately normal battery life & function WITHOUT changing to 80 Ah setting (IF 90 Ah is what is shown as current setting, as viewed using INPA above), BUT you should change the SETTING in the Power Module of the DME using NCS Dummy or something simple to use similar to that. If you changed battery TYPE (FLA to AGM or vice-versa) then even MORE reason to change setting in DME.

I'll attach the NCS screen that shows the choices of settings to the next post, so as NOT to mess up margins of this one. The actual screen you will see when connected to your vehicle will have "checkboxes" with the current setting being "checked" and changing is basically like using a Windows dialog box for changing settings.

George
Thanks a lot, so confusing! I installed an Autocraft battery from Advanced Auto Parts
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...000%7CL3*15597

It is the same type of battery as oem (non-agm). The oem is 80ah. This battery from the site says Reserve Capacity: 135 min which gives me 81ah. I installed it yesterday and connected INPA and it shows me this

So no need to code/change anything in NCS right? So I ran the job in Tool32 and in INPA hit F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F5, Batterietausch Registrieren. So i'm done right?

Last edited by JunkyardDogg; 05-20-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #233
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
...I installed an Autocraft battery from Advanced Auto Parts...It is the same type of battery as oem (non-agm). The oem is 80ah. This battery from the site says Reserve Capacity: 135 min which gives me 81ah. I installed it yesterday and connected INPA and it shows me this [80 Ah Battery Capacity]
So no need to code/change anything in NCS right? So I ran the job in Tool32 and in INPA hit F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F5, Batterietausch Registrieren. So i'm done right?
Stick a fork in him -- I think he's done. You don't sound confused at all.

You appear to have "mastered" the subject of Battery Replacement. You could run "< F6 > Histogramm Reset" to "initialize" the PM for the new battery. That's found immediately after < F5 > Battery Registration. That should clear the data for the last 5 days in the right column of the screen you attached (MSD80 Power Module Info Field 2).

Translation can be necessary when using INPA, as many of the Fault Definitions and other technical terms are in German, and Google Translate is very helpful for that purpose:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

Whoever translated the version of INPA you are using got in a hurry. If you look at the "Info Field 2" you attached, note that the Histogram data on the right column shows 6 lines related to "Start Capacity" the first line is "current" or at the moment start capacity, and the next 5 lines are "one day ago" up to "5 days ago." "Aktuell" is the word used in the original German, which can mean both "Current" AND "Actual." Since ALL 6 lines are "actual" readings -- just the last 5 are 1 to 5 days ago -- the best translation of aktuell for this purpose is "current."

That's NOT a big deal, but if you look at the NEXT 6 lines related to "Charge Status" or Charge Condition, note that the last 5 lines ALL read "1 day ago." That SHOULD read the same as the corresponding 5 lines above, namely 1 day ago, 2 days ago, ... 5 days ago. The data value is correct, but the "tag" or description translation is INCORRECT.

Anyone using INPA should be aware that in many cases the English translation was done by well-meaning volunteers who were trying to get something useful out there for people like me who only know ONE language: "Americanese." However, stuff happens, and someone who speaks both German & English once told me "German is a concise language." I take that to mean than one word in German may have different meanings, depending upon context. Example: AKTUELL = current, latest, actual, relevant, etc. Likewise: DRUCK = pressure, print, press, push, etc.

I still use an older (mostly-German except for some menu items) version of INPA which I took the time to translate myself for the simple reason that there ARE "variations" in the translation.

INPA is a powerful diagnostic tool, and I would encourage ANYONE who wants to understand HOW his E9x works, or WHY it is NOT working as intended, to learn how to use it to (1) read & clear fault codes and FF Data using F4, Fault Memory; (2) Read Parameters in real time using F5, Status; or (3) Test and monitor functions with Activations, using F6, Activations (Steuern).

Hope to see MORE forum members increasing and sharing their INPA skills & knowledge on this forum.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #234
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

^^^

Thanks, very informative! So i'm good then. I reset the histogram and then hit F5 again. Result is "OKAY"
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #235
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BLack 2008 335i

Moving post to this thread:

I used this process:

Register Battery:

1. Open Tool32
2. Datei > SGBD, Gruppendatei Laded > Select MSD80.PRG > Click Open
3. Highlight steuern_batterietausch_registri
4. Job > Job Einmal Ausfuhren (run job once)

and get:

ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SERVIC E_ERROR

Could this be a software version mismatch? I have an MHD stage 1 tune, could this be an issue?

How to import a BMW into Canada without getting rear ended

Last edited by Modmike; 05-23-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:01 PM   #236
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
Moving post to this thread:

I used this process:

Register Battery:

1. Open Tool32
2. Datei > SGBD, Gruppendatei Laded > Select MSD80.PRG > Click Open
3. Highlight steuern_batterietausch_registri
4. Job > Job Einmal Ausfuhren (run job once)

and get:

ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SERVIC E_ERROR

Could this be a software version mismatch? I have an MHD stage 1 tune, could this be an issue?
I have MHD stage 1 as well. Although I did the battery reset on it before I registered the battery with Tool32. Initially I thought MHD was capable of registering a replacement battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #237
jeo245@msn.com
BigBoyToys
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI

Rheingold ista

Hi Folks
Trying to register same type battery and getting attached screen shot message: anyone seen this before? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #238
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeo245@msn.com View Post
Hi Folks
Trying to register same type battery and getting attached screen shot message: anyone seen this before? Thanks
Are you making sure ignition is on and engine off?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #239
pajdos1
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI 318i (N43)

Hello, I replaced an AGM battery a month later, but INPA still shows State of Health (SOH) value 0.00. How and when the car determine the SOH? Thank you. (I replaced the same type battery...AGM 900A 90Ah).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #240
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Hey all

got a 61 AH mini battery to save weight
coding it into DME

- coded CAS thru NCSExpert, changed 90 to 60 ah_agm
- re-read ECU and it's well labeled/coded
- registered new battery via ista
- also registered via tool32
- when i check on ista as well as inpa, it says 86 AH (it was previously written 90) even though it's coded in NCSExpert CAS as 60

any ideas?

thanks

**update
Changed VO in CAS and NFRM
Was only able to change to A070 (70ah)
Tried 55 and 60 didnt work
Then i recoded the CAS. Tried 55, 60 and 70
Then registered it after each time
When then checking battery info in inpa and ista, when i code CAS to 55 or 60, it reads 86. When I code to 70, it reads 70.

Seems to me you can't code a lower AGM value.

Anyone have anything to add or suggest that is different so the car sees the proper 60 ah value?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #241
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Hey all

got a 61 AH mini battery to save weight
coding it into DME

- coded CAS thru NCSExpert, changed 90 to 60 ah_agm
- re-read ECU and it's well labeled/coded
- registered new battery via ista
- also registered via tool32
- when i check on ista as well as inpa, it says 86 AH (it was previously written 90) even though it's coded in NCSExpert CAS as 60

any ideas?

thanks

**update
Changed VO in CAS and NFRM
Was only able to change to A070 (70ah)
Tried 55 and 60 didnt work
Then i recoded the CAS. Tried 55, 60 and 70
Then registered it after each time
When then checking battery info in inpa and ista, when i code CAS to 55 or 60, it reads 86. When I code to 70, it reads 70.

Seems to me you can't code a lower AGM value.

Anyone have anything to add or suggest that is different so the car sees the proper 60 ah value?

Thanks again
Check out the battery DIY.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338302

You might be able to get away with 55ah.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:50 AM   #242
SJM67
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I Coupe

Garage List
1995 BMW 318I  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
just replaced 5 year old die hard today with this H8 from pep boys....$167.99 after $18 core return and 4 year free replacement. took all of 5 minutes to register AND code with Bimmergeeks Protool.

Appreciate 0