E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ABS Sensor Replacement

10-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
LBIBMW
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

ABS Sensor Replacement

My ABS Sensor light came on, not a big deal 187 to fix, however when they took the sensor off the Rear Right Axle broke. 700$ to fix it. Does anyone have experience with that? Is this a reasonable price. I was told they couldn't find an after market axle and had to order directly from BMW and it cost 600 just for the part.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Wait, the shop broke the axle while removing the ABS sensor and charged you for it?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Yeah, that's some crap. If you look here you can see item 20 is the wheel speed sensor, which is what they should have been replacing. The sensor costs about $83 online, so $187 make sense for a shop after markup and labor. That said, that sensor is totally, and completely, able to come out without removing the axle. In fact, I can't think of a possible scenario where you would remove the axle to get to that sensor.

If there was something else wrong with your axle, yes the OE part is expensive. From a dealer online I see it at $490 before your shop marks it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
LBIBMW
Rep

Thanks yeah, they told me in advance there was a small chance that the axle would break taking it off, apparently it was rusty. I did have it at another shop recently for breaks and tires, but they didn't say anything about the axle. Live and learn. Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIBMW View Post
Thanks yeah, they told me in advance there was a small chance that the axle would break taking it off, apparently it was rusty. I did have it at another shop recently for breaks and tires, but they didn't say anything about the axle. Live and learn. Thanks for the replies.
Sorry, this is complete and utter bullshit. I've replaced the left rear wheel speed sensor in my car (exact same car you have - all E90s are the same anyway, it's the same repair for either the right or left side). I just did this repair 6 weeks ago and wrote a DIY for it, but haven't published it yet. The repair involves removing the wheel. Removing the 5MM Allen screw, gently twisting the body of the old sensor back and forth; it'll be quite stuck in the hole in the hub. And then using a pry tool prying it up out of the hole. The sensor body is made of plastic, so it can't rust in place. The sensor will get gummed up for sure and seem like it is rusted in place, but a few twists loosens it right up. It is impossible to "break" the axle doing this repair. If the shop somehow thinks the tooth-ring gets damaged, that is part of the wheel bearing, not the axle. As TBY siad, the axle does not need to come out for the repair.

OP, did you look under the car and verify they even put a new axle in it? You can also tell by prying out the wheel center cap and looking for a new axle nut. Ask for your money back.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-09-2015 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
LBIBMW
Rep

Geez, I took them for their word on it. I am going to look over that car. I did see a video on the repair and didn't see how the axle came into play. I could have taken more time with it, but needed the car repaired asap to get back to work. Thanks for the scoop. I am going to look into it a little further.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I just did this in 10 minutes using an Alan key. No possible way to break the axle.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

So LBIBMW, did you go back and bitch-slap the shop manager and demand your money back? Did you check to see if they even put a new axle in the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
That indy is flakely af
What's the name of the shop?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
LBIBMW
Rep

I did check and yes it is a new axle. I did not go back though. I figure it is not worth it. Now he just lost out on a long term repeat customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
LBIBMW
Rep

I pm'd you the name.
Appreciate 0