E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > When did you replace your clutch?

06-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
335imax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

When did you replace your clutch?

I have a 2006 60k miles. Sometimes I get a slip in first gear. If its a really hot day, I might get a chatter on the clutch. Thinking I need a new clutch soon. I was wondering at what mileage you guys are replacing your clutch. Recommendations over stock?
Does the 325, 328, 330, all use the same clutch?
Or are there any differences....
      06-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Unless the car was abused, or someone who drives it doesn't really know how to properly drive with a clutch - i.e. rests their foot on the clutch pedal (I'm accusing the previous owner here if there is one), I doubt the clutch is gone at 60,000 miles. Most clutches should easily go double or triple that mileage.

The chatter you feel is the dual-mass flywheel. Some times the weights in the flywheel don't act properly. Removing the clutch delay valve (CDV) helps with this problem. Search the DIY section for CDV delete and read up on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

OEM OR ACT

I went OEM but took a hard look at ACT. Went OEM because dealer gave me a good deal --- car was CPO and I had only driven the car 25K.
I did use OEM tranny fluid and have CDV bored-out. VERY SMOOTH NOW.
Dealer was surprised how smooth shifting she is now.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

The problem in every MT car I've owned always seems to be that chatter/shudder develops along with a tendancy to act more as a switch on/off than a linear progression. They get finickier and finickier to drive but never slip. My E39's clutch was 14 years old and I was finally going to replace it this year just to make it nicer to drive but it ended up totaled instead (at least it was before I replaced the clutch). Ditto behaviour on my previously owned 1990 Integra (at 11 years old) and 1992 Porsche 968 (13 years old). I guess that's just how I wear clutches - not a lot of slip but other things start to get tired.

My relatively new-to-me 2007 E90 only once exhibited the slightest clutch chatter before I bought it. Now I feel it a lot. As far as I know the CDV is still intact and I'm going to dive into that soon. I'm a little bummed that my 60k mi new-to-me car is now having the same issues that my 14 year old one was

We'll see if the CDV is the magic required. I'm not holding my breath. The PO (the second owner) has had lots of interesting MT cars so I don't think the bad habits were his but who knows.

I understand that motor mounts and things can also play a role in shudder so it's probably worth having those checked out too. Anything which allows oscillation to increase instead of being dampened out can be a contributor.
Appreciate 0