E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Official Louisiana chat thread (#2)

07-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #2223
LSUbimmer
Your mom's house
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
Dinan is just money...you can buy better items for less. Just saying. If its going to be out of warranty go big (power not money) or go home

what tune do you have on the car?
PROcede

2011 M3 DCT, ZCP - LUX H8, BPM Stage 2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, BPM Sport Coding w/ Euro MDM
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #2224
LSUbimmer
Your mom's house
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
without.. Then sell the tune to a forum member here.
thats really what im asking i think. is there a market for a used PROcede where I could make a couple of bucks back possibly?

I was also thinking that whoever drives my 335 could be surprised by how fast it is and possibly want the tune??

2011 M3 DCT, ZCP - LUX H8, BPM Stage 2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, BPM Sport Coding w/ Euro MDM
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #2225
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUbimmer View Post
thats really what im asking i think. is there a market for a used PROcede where I could make a couple of bucks back possibly?

I was also thinking that whoever drives my 335 could be surprised by how fast it is and possibly want the tune??
Absolutely. Post it in the for sale sections of this forum. You'll get a buyer
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #2226
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Proposal

Here is what AS recommends: "What I would recommend as a start is a high capacity oil cooler (have to keep the engine and turbos cool), an intercooler (dinan's intercooler lowers the pressure drop across the core by 0.7psi over stock) and stage 3 software. With just those 3 upgrades you will have 398hp and 429tq at a cost of about $6400+tax and it will all be warrantied for 5yrs/50k miles. If you want a cold air intake they have a beautiful intake that replaces the blank bumper grill and actually utilizes forced cold air from the front of the car. ". These seems a little expensive to me ...any thoughts from you gear heads.
      07-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #2227
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8nm View Post
Here is what AS recommends: "What I would recommend as a start is a high capacity oil cooler (have to keep the engine and turbos cool), an intercooler (dinan's intercooler lowers the pressure drop across the core by 0.7psi over stock) and stage 3 software. With just those 3 upgrades you will have 398hp and 429tq at a cost of about $6400+tax and it will all be warrantied for 5yrs/50k miles. If you want a cold air intake they have a beautiful intake that replaces the blank bumper grill and actually utilizes forced cold air from the front of the car. ". These seems a little expensive to me ...any thoughts from you gear heads.

couple questions.......is that WHEEL HP(398)? and does the $6400 + tax include installation? I assume it does at that price.
I know nothing of modding a 335, that's where Ian/Todd/Grant come in......they know all there is to know when it comes to that. But that seems quite expensive. You can get an ESS VT1-550 kit for about $8000 installed and that'll give you about 470WHP on an M3.
My experience with Dinan is that it's far from the best bang for the buck option out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #2228
qntran2
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Evolution Racewerks has a dual oil cooler setup for 1,500 but they usually sell it for less on Black Friday so probably around 1,200 (What I paid for mine last year at black friday)

JB4 (stage 3) is 480

Helix has a sale on their intercoolers for 875 and is one of the best reviewed intercooler for the n54.

So even if you paid full price for the ER oil coolers it would only be about 2,855 no tax since these would be online sales and you would save a good bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #2229
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

I love Evolution Racewerks. Great products
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #2230
cr2596
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 M5 + '89 325i

Quote:
Balls. That is expensive. I suggest you consider other options.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #2231
cr2596
Lieutenant
Rep

Whatever you do, as much cooling in all areas is always a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #2232
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2596 View Post
Whatever you do, as much cooling in all areas is always a good idea.
I feel like its a little pricey...paying for name not performance. You know anything about 2008 M3 E92? there is one in Houston for 36k. Does it have SMG or DCT? Was the iDrive effed up in that year. No ZCP but says it has EDC...do you know the difference? Thanks
      07-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #2233
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Quote:
I feel like its a little pricey...paying for name not performance. You know anything about 2008 M3 E92? there is one in Houston for 36k. Does it have SMG or DCT? Was the iDrive effed up in that year. No ZCP but says it has EDC...do you know the difference? Thanks
2008 M3 - DCT transmission, old DVD based I drive navigation assuming it has navigation (can be upgraded to newer idrive if you so desire), EDC=electronic damper control. ZCP was not released back then.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #2234
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
I am sorry but I will not allow you to go thru with that doc. First off, they are after your money I don't care what anyone says.

Secondly, an aftermarket oil cooler is not necessary in the least bit. The stock oil cooler is PLENTY good enough, the only time it is maybe possibly needed is tracking situation. But even on that it's still not completely necessary, read around there are guys that are tracking 335s with no oil cooler at all.

Next, dinan's intercooler is a piece of garbage compared to some of the stuff out on the market right now and they are at half the price.

Their tune is decent, but still lacks the tune feeling which changes throttle mapping parameters etc. That tune will just feel the same just faster.

The only thing dinan I will allow you to purchase is their intake, it is the best performing/looking intake out there right now.

For that money doc you could get vargas stage 2 turbos, intercooler, DPs, full exhaust, methanol, and cobb. And you will be making around 525 WHEEL horsepower. And still be able to wipe your ass with 1500 dollars.

Those numbers they gave you are on the overrated side of the power and it's crank horsepower. A stock 335is makes right around 300 crank hp. So all that money and you will only be making about 100 hp over stock.

So basically what I am trying to say is either mod your car correctly, or get an M3. I will help you, it will be better. You can make more useable and driver friendly power for ALOT less money.

Sorry, just got me all worked up that they are trying to rip you off. End rant. And also you'll be pretty pissed when you spend more than double what I spent on tuning my car and I drag you down the street by your leash.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #2235
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I am sorry but I will not allow you to go thru with that doc. First off, they are after your money I don't care what anyone says.

Secondly, an aftermarket oil cooler is not necessary in the least bit. The stock oil cooler is PLENTY good enough, the only time it is maybe possibly needed is tracking situation. But even on that it's still not completely necessary, read around there are guys that are tracking 335s with no oil cooler at all.

Next, dinan's intercooler is a piece of garbage compared to some of the stuff out on the market right now and they are at half the price.

Their tune is decent, but still lacks the tune feeling which changes throttle mapping parameters etc. That tune will just feel the same just faster.

The only thing dinan I will allow you to purchase is their intake, it is the best performing/looking intake out there right now.

For that money doc you could get vargas stage 2 turbos, intercooler, DPs, full exhaust, methanol, and cobb. And you will be making around 525 WHEEL horsepower. And still be able to wipe your ass with 1500 dollars.

Those numbers they gave you are on the overrated side of the power and it's crank horsepower. A stock 335is makes right around 300 crank hp. So all that money and you will only be making about 100 hp over stock.

So basically what I am trying to say is either mod your car correctly, or get an M3. I will help you, it will be better. You can make more useable and driver friendly power for ALOT less money.

Sorry, just got me all worked up that they are trying to rip you off. End rant. And also you'll be pretty pissed when you spend more than double what I spent on tuning my car and I drag you down the street by your leash.
What he said... I'll also add the fact that Dinan tends to cater to the "I don't really want to deal with issues" group. Their warranty takes your money and gives you "piece of mind" that everything you do will be reliable and won't cause you many problems. And if they do they'll replace the broken part (and pray other parts don't break as well...). So if you're willing to pay what amounts to a "market correction factor" for your mods to help sleep better at night then Dinan is for you!

But you can also get nearly the same actual reliability from other aftermarket companies for quite less. This also goes for the M3. It should tell you something if you can spend the same amount of money modding an M3 (as they recommend for your 335is) and get more power from a NA V8, especially since all M3 power adders have the "BMW M" tax associated with them...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #2236
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

Quote:
I make way more hp than that with less than that. I'm at 60k miles now with FBO daily on nearly max boost without any issues. all FBO guys main issues are common ones. sparkplugs, plugs, and some fuel injector. and some with 02 sensors. My tranny is still strong, never had a cooling problem aswell. Todd and I both do not have a fancy 1000 dollar intercooler but still works great. Ask me whatever Vader, I'm one of the 1st modded 335is in the US and i've been through much more than most 335is owners on here. even tho it's all the same platform aka N54. Dinan is only for guys who wana keep their warranty and don't wana maintain their own cars. Dinan and BMW will take care of you but they won't tell you that you'll be burning oil faster,spark plugs faster, plugs faster and 02 sensors faster, and much more. I do all my own work, Gotta learn some day Vader, even with JUST a tune your car will never drive the same. some say its better, some say it isnt. not tryna sound like a douche, but you know what your getting into when you start modding. not everything goes the way it goes sometimes. you gotta deal wit it and fight it bro. holla at me if you need any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #2237
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post

couldn't have said it better speed racer. see you guys this week for NASA? I'm working friday-sunday
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #2238
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
couldn't have said it better speed racer. see you guys this week for NASA? I'm working friday-sunday
Thanks everyonel. I am not going with the Dinan mods. I effed up and lost a sweet M3 deal because I thought it too far away in Salt Lake City. So what is your advise on this situation:

1) Buy a CPO 2008 or 2009 e92 M3 with about 60K to 70K miles, DCT and EDC for around $38K and mod it.
2) Buy CPO 2011 e92 M3 with ZCP, DCT with 30K miles for around $53K and drive as is. Except it has a moonroof which I hate.

As always, I can keep the 335is for $32K and put $3K in mods on it.

I need the option that will allow me to drag Stig around on his leash.
Thanks for helping out the old guy.
      07-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #2239
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyonel. I am not going with the Dinan mods. I effed up and lost a sweet M3 deal because I thought it too far away in Salt Lake City. So what is your advise on this situation:

1) Buy a CPO 2008 or 2009 e92 M3 with about 60K to 70K miles, DCT and EDC for around $38K and mod it.
2) Buy CPO 2011 e92 M3 with ZCP, DCT with 30K miles for around $53K and drive as is. Except it has a moonroof which I hate.

I might have missed this previously in the conversation... But how "squirmish" on you on mods and paying for out of warranty repair work?

I ask this because you could buy an 2008 M3, toss a nice capacity supercharger on it and associated accessories and be around (maybe slightly above depending on how much of the install you do yourself) the cost of a 2011 M3. But you'll be footing the bill for any repairs or parts that will get worn out more quickly. It's also your only option to quickly drag Stig around with a leash (assuming you already have the driver skill to do so!)

Buying a 2011 M3 means you get a warranty for a 2-3 more years but you pay more up front.

If you want cheap jaw dropping power and don't mind wrenching on your own, get the 2008 so your mod budget will be larger.

If you want something you can have fun in and not have to worry every day if you're gonna have to worry about fixing "XYZ" issue for a few years then get the 2011.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #2240
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
i'd say this...are you looking for cheap power or no? If you are looking for cheap power you could keep the IS spend about $3k on fbo (could be less depending on what brand) and have some nice power, or you could spend $7k and get Vargas upgrade turbo and push 500 whp easy. Or you could buy the M3. Supercharge it and about the same power as the turbo upgrades...(but the current vehicle would still probably be cheaper) Like I tell everyone. If money wasn't an issue with me...i would have just bought at M3. But I didn't have the money for an M3 at the time so I got the 335.

too much to list...just know its wide and bagged
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #2241
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

I would take a stock M3 over a FBO 335i any day.
      07-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #2242
cr2596
Lieutenant
Rep

What a wonderful dilemma.
      07-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #2243
LSUbimmer
Your mom's house
Rep

Quote:

Get the 2011 M3 under warranty now and start saving for the TT M4 which you can mod at that time.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #2244
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUbimmer View Post
Get the 2011 M3 under warranty now and start saving for the TT M4 which you can mod at that time.
Keeping the "is" is the cheapest and easiest but I am still looking for the M3. There are at least 7 or 8 out there but each one has a small flaw and I just need to chill and realize the perfect CPO prolly doesnt exist. CF roof is hard to find and they all seem to have moon roof which I don't want. I think ZCP is not mandatory since TOP GEAR felt it was a useless option. DCT is a must as is premium sound. Couple good ones but they come with black wheels...not my favorite but I guess I could replace those. Same with that damn fox red interior...I could live with it, but... Decisions, decisions...You peeps have helped a lot...thanks