E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > falling off tow truck damage?

08-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

falling off tow truck damage?

My fuel pump suddenly gave out yesterday in the middle of traffic (dealer just replaced it the day before) while accelerating (foot on pedal, lost power/service light comes on, starter turns but won't start, jumping doesn't start either) and I ended up stalled in the middle of oncoming traffic. A cop pulls up behind me and calls AAA, pushing me to get off the road asap. The tow truck arrives and quickly tows us off the street(no flatbed available). After getting off the street, the driver says he needs to secure some things first since he didn't have time in the middle of the street as we're approaching a stop light. When stopping, my car starts rocking on the back and the supports behind the wheels (one bar in front and two supports slid in behind the wheels) slide out as my car moves forward from the momentum of stopping suddenly and ends up with the underbody between my front wheels resting on the tow truck's main support bar. The bar slid sideways and went in front of my passenger wheel and behind the driver wheel. There is some cosmetic damage on the front bumper, driver side sideskirt, driver side quarter panel so that the door rubs when opening.

How serious could the damage be to impact on the engine, suspension/controlarms, and frame? The car fell and was resting on the bar. I figure the distance my car fell wasn't more than a couple inches, but a piece of the plastic cover below the engine next to the front jack support fell off. What is the best course of action to make sure there are no problems or everything is fixed so I won't have issues in the future?

Also, is the dealer/BMW at fault here for installing a fuel pump only to have it fail on me the next day in the middle of traffic? I remember our cars had the recall for the faulty battery connection which resulted in cars stopping in the middle of traffic and that was some serious stuff.

Last edited by Pawlin; 08-18-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Always flatbed

But no the dealer isn't responsible, tow truck driver if you have proof or if you've already signed their papers saying their not responsible of any damage then your SOL. Car can still turn on to put yourself in neutral and push your way out of traffic and wait for a flatbed. Would've let that cop rear end my e90 so I have an excuse to redue my e90's rear bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

Your dealer will likely replace your failed part but after the failure of your car, there's nothing that they owe you for. The last time we had a car towed, we never signed anything prior to delivery, so hopefully your situation is similar.

Any damage beyond the fuel pump should be covered by the towing company. Hopefully everything works out for you. I'm sorry this happened.

Taran.J has a good point, if you can afford it, always spring the extra dough for a flat bed. EDIT just saw that you couldn't get a flatbed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep

it was either tow truck or have the cops push me out of traffic with their squad car.. Nope didn't sign anything, AAA's is responsible.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

I would have let the police push the car then and video tape it, much easier to claim since obviously he was being a dickhead
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Yeah I would've told him fuck off and come back with a flatbed.

Over my dead body would be the only way somebody would put my car on a tow truck.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, but any idea on how serious this damage could be internally?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Call up AAA and tell them whats going on. While your car is in the dealership for the hpfp... Explain to them what happened so they can write up/inspect for damage. Get an estimate for you most expensive local body shop for the damage and see what AAA says to compensate you.

Hpfp has a 10yr/120k mile warranty because they were already sued about it. Nothing more u will get from it.
Appreciate 0