E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Valvetronic issues

05-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #23
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemong View Post
weehee126, can u share more info on this ? i also experience valvetronic failure with drivetrain malfunction and driving stabilisation on screen. 2013 F13 3k miles
I'm not sure what info you are looking for. You probably have to replace your servomotor. Specific codes you are seeing would help.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
cemong
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
I'm not sure what info you are looking for. You probably have to replace your servomotor. Specific codes you are seeing would help.
do you have email ? i want to send u photos . i dont know how to upload photos here.
i recently purchased a used 2015 640i with only 3000 mileage. but 2 warnings keep pops up randomly. (drivetrain, and drive stabilisation. both with drive moderately notes).
another symptom is "rattle" electronic noises from under the engine hood. not sure what it is.
SA said the diagnostic report shows a bad valvetronic and speedcamshaft ?
im very frustrated and afraid that the DME is damaged since warranty is expired and i have to pay from my pocket.
did u manage to fix yours yet ? i also have the electronic rattle sound from under the engine hood. very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #25
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
do you have email ? i want to send u photos . i dont know how to upload photos here.
i recently purchased a used 2015 640i with only 3000 mileage. but 2 warnings keep pops up randomly. (drivetrain, and drive stabilisation. both with drive moderately notes).
another symptom is "rattle" electronic noises from under the engine hood. not sure what it is.
SA said the diagnostic report shows a bad valvetronic and speedcamshaft ?
im very frustrated and afraid that the DME is damaged since warranty is expired and i have to pay from my pocket.
did u manage to fix yours yet ? i also have the electronic rattle sound from under the engine hood. very frustrating.
I can't help you unless you post actual error codes, the letter/number value. I never had a reduced power issue and F series servomotors may be different.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #26
cemong
Rep

where do u find the error codes ? i only see DTM and Driving stabilisation in idrive warning.
when diagnosed in dealer, valvetronic and speedcamshaft shows up.
one more symtomps, when the car wake / sleep, i heard a "rattle" noises from under the hood engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #27
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
where do u find the error codes ? i only see DTM and Driving stabilisation in idrive warning.
when diagnosed in dealer, valvetronic and speedcamshaft shows up.
one more symtomps, when the car wake / sleep, i heard a "rattle" noises from under the hood engine.
Sounds pretty obvious your servomotor is bad. You need to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:06 AM   #28
cemong
Rep

what about the rattle electronic noises from the engine hood area when car is wake or sleep ? what is that noise ?
i just got a defect code from the dealer, its "11-370-99600"
the part that need to be replaced is 11-377-60-3976

Last edited by cemong; 05-09-2017 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #29
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
what about the rattle electronic noises from the engine hood area when car is wake or sleep ? what is that noise ?
i just got a defect code from the dealer, its "11-370-99600"
the part that need to be replaced is 11-377-60-3976
The rattle noise is the servomotor trying to move but it either can't or is being stopped. Those are not useful codes. It will be 4 letters or numbers like "27DA" or P then 4 numbers like "P1234"
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #30
cemong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
The rattle noise is the servomotor trying to move but it either can't or is being stopped. Those are not useful codes. It will be 4 letters or numbers like "27DA" or P then 4 numbers like "P1234"
What is servomotor ? Is it the same as valvetronic motor ? So this electronic noise when the car is sleep is the valvetronic motor need to be replace ?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #31
precisionintime
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hey guys -

I'm having similar problems now. Car had rough idle for about a week then one day it cranks but won't start. Threw up 'drivetrain malfunction' and check engine light. Had it towed to a dealership.

Vanos bolt recall was done about a year ago.

SA identified that the issue now is the actuator and parts around it. Highly recommends that I replace the eccentric shaft as well since it's bolted on to the actuator. 7/70 warranty covers everything except the shaft.

I have an 2011 X3, 35i, 20k miles, 1st owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #32
nojeans
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 335i LCI

I just done the motor replacement and searching how to erase 2e0f
Motor replaced but no need to replace the eccentric shaft, just need to remove the shaft stopper then turn to highest position would move the motor out.
And I reaplace both cam sensors, will see any improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionintime View Post
Hey guys -

I'm having similar problems now. Car had rough idle for about a week then one day it cranks but won't start. Threw up 'drivetrain malfunction' and check engine light. Had it towed to a dealership.

Vanos bolt recall was done about a year ago.

SA identified that the issue now is the actuator and parts around it. Highly recommends that I replace the eccentric shaft as well since it's bolted on to the actuator. 7/70 warranty covers everything except the shaft.

I have an 2011 X3, 35i, 20k miles, 1st owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #33
EEMO335i
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black 335i A/T

Hi All

I have a 2011 335 which also had the vanos recall done quite
Some time ago. Took vehicle to dealer due to weired vanos codes
And apparently there was a faulty wire which was fixed and car was fine
Now problem has returned with a whole lot of errors. Where do i begin to sort
This out

Active codes with MHD
2DCE - Valvetronic System no adjustment poss
2EOF - Valvetronic System deactivated adj fault to frequent

Shadow codes with MHD
2DDO - Valvetronic System control deviation warning threshold exceeded
2E11 - Valvetronic System bottom limit position learned
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #34
Stage5Lurker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: White Buffalo

Garage List
I currently have the same issue. Did you ever get an answer and how was the problem resolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEMO335i View Post
Hi All

I have a 2011 335 which also had the vanos recall done quite
Some time ago. Took vehicle to dealer due to weired vanos codes
And apparently there was a faulty wire which was fixed and car was fine
Now problem has returned with a whole lot of errors. Where do i begin to sort
This out

Active codes with MHD

Shadow codes with MHD
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #35
cemotherapy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

Hi guys, I'm new here and this page is a godsend.

I've been experiencing problems very similar to the ones posted here.
My issues started with the car going in limp mode under heavier acceleration. The problem went away as soon as I turned the car off and on again. It soon degenerated to limp mode after ~10 miles driven. None of the issues on start up that the others have described.

I sent the car to an indy. He replaced the vanos solenoids ans the valvetronic servomotor. He checked the injectors, spark plugs and coils, oil pumps. Everything else was fine.
Despite no fault codes appearing, the car wouldn't start when valvetronic was included. Worked perfectly at low rpm otherwise, so I'm guessing that vanos is fine

After extensive investigation, he found that the servomotor would lock in the lowest setting (valves nearly shut) and wouldn't budge. Tried manually adjusting and then starting - no luck.

We sent the car to a beemer dealership to try reprogramming it. They couldn't connect to the DME at first, but around the 5th try they reinstalled the software. As per standard procedure, removed the key from ignition, restarted 5 minutes later and the new soft was removed. They tried this multiple times.

So now they're telling me that either my DME is screwed and needs replacing/fixing or there might be a massive electric fuck up somewhere - short circuit, roasted fuses and whatnot.

So far I'm inclined to try and fix the DME, but it's far from a given.

Additional info : I'm not sure they checked the actuator or the eccentric shaft sensor, as suggested on other threads. Checked with service info - the vanos bolt was probably changed, but can't guarantee it.

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #36
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

I'm having the same issue... My '11 e92 N55 threw the following codes after initial start up of the day (Saturday evening), rough idle for almost a good minute. It drove fine, I filled her up and drove home immediately for the night. Today I tried to start her up and it stalled right away twice.
Quote:
Active codes with MHD

Shadow codes with MHD
I'm running MHD stage 2, so I just reflash back to stock (not stage 0). It started up fine no issue and test drove around the area. Scanned for code and no code had shown. I had done some research, some said DME update from dealer (TSB BMW SI B12 36 15 probably cost some money) or replacing the valvetronic servomotor ($$$$).

I'm going to call the BMW dealership and ask about the TSB first.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1412623

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      11-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #37
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Ive had this issue twice,

For me it appears for around 1 week, and then went away for 6 months, then came back for a week and then went away and its been almost 8 months now.

I get those same codes

And another that says "valvetronic disabled, adjustment fault to frequent"

When its playing up i have weird sounding down shifts and longer drawn out exhaust noise, instead of a sharp grunt when downshifting its extended.

Then just goes away by itself.
      11-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #38
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street of Rage View Post
I'm having the same issue... My '11 e92 N55 threw the following codes after initial start up of the day (Saturday evening), rough idle for almost a good minute. It drove fine, I filled her up and drove home immediately for the night. Today I tried to start her up and it stalled right away twice.

I'm running MHD stage 2, so I just reflash back to stock (not stage 0). It started up fine no issue and test drove around the area. Scanned for code and no code had shown. I had done some research, some said DME update from dealer (TSB BMW SI B12 36 15 probably cost some money) or replacing the valvetronic servomotor ($$$$).

I'm going to call the BMW dealership and ask about the TSB first.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1412623

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
One thing i found was that a full reflash of MHD cleared it the second time, im wondering it the final step of the MHD flash, where it resets adaptions, might be what fixed it?

I just reflashed Stage 2 + and it went away, you should try putting the proper map back on, i dont think MHD cause it but the adaption reset might clear it.
      11-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #39
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
One thing i found was that a full reflash of MHD cleared it the second time, im wondering it the final step of the MHD flash, where it resets adaptions, might be what fixed it?

I just reflashed Stage 2 + and it went away, you should try putting the proper map back on, i dont think MHD cause it but the adaption reset might clear it.
You maybe right about resetting adaptations. Thanks for pointing out. I will flash back to stage 2 when I have time again. I may just enable cold start again for its proper initial RPM idle. I want to say that my VANOS solenoids probably need to be replaced or cleaned again.
      11-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #40
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You maybe right about resetting adaptations. Thanks for pointing out. I will flash back to stage 2 when I have time again. I may just enable cold start again for its proper initial RPM idle. I want to say that my VANOS solenoids probably need to be replaced or cleaned again.
I also have my idle set to 1000rpm now so its smooth
      10-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #41
drumm8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 zhp

Bringing this back... What were the solutions from any of the people posting?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #42
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumm8 View Post
What issues/codes do you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #43
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumm8 View Post
I basically reflashed to stage 0, installed OEM dp back on since I needed to smog check my car. I left my car on stage 0 until this past summer, and had been running fine.

I just installed FMIC and running stage 1+

Last edited by Street of Rage; 10-17-2019 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #44
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
I basically reflashed to stage 0, installed OEM dp back on since I needed to smog check my car. I left my car on stage 0 until this past summer, and had been running find.

I just installed FMIC and running stage 1+

For me the valvetronic out of range and limits codes are 100 % related to MHD OTS maps. When not using the maps i dont see the codes. As soon as i use the maps codes appear.

Thats just been my experience.
Appreciate 2