E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > E93 335i N54 mods question



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
djpro1
Private First Class
djpro1's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 08 E93 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney, Pymble

iTrader: (0)

E93 335i N54 mods question

Hi guys

I am contemplating doing a few mods to the car. In the experience of people who have modded their e93's or e92s, is it really worth doing the following? How much of performance gain would I get from a 0-100 view and torque gain? I see a lot of e92 owners modding but don't see many e93's doing the same mods.

Thinking of doing these mods:

JB4
DCI
Catted Downpipes

Also, what's the legality of modding the above in NSW? Do you declare these mods to your insurance company?

Apart from the obvious cost increase in maintaining the car better (ie. spark plugs, coils, more frequent oil changes, wear and tear on the engine), is it all worth the excitement of the increased power?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Zen
Captain
Australia
11
Rep
640
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
Hi guys

I am contemplating doing a few mods to the car. In the experience of people who have modded their e93's or e92s, is it really worth doing the following? How much of performance gain would I get from a 0-100 view and torque gain? I see a lot of e92 owners modding but don't see many e93's doing the same mods.

Thinking of doing these mods:

JB4
DCI
Catted Downpipes

Also, what's the legality of modding the above in NSW? Do you declare these mods to your insurance company?

Apart from the obvious cost increase in maintaining the car better (ie. spark plugs, coils, more frequent oil changes, wear and tear on the engine), is it all worth the excitement of the increased power?
JB4 - Legal
DCI - Not really legal, and if a cop pulls you decided to check your engine bay and sees the DCI, that will be consider as a defect.
Catted DP - ? You mean catless? Catted DP = legal.

Some say that we drive a prestige brand and that we rarely get pulled over by cops to check for defects when compared with the JDM. I would probably say yeah thats pretty much true, however don't be surprise that in the near future when BMWs, VWs, and Audis are getting pulled over by HWP and have their hood opened. I reckon its just the matter of time.

From what I had gathered on another site, NRMA would cover all mods on your vehicle without the need to declare. Maybe someone that is with NRMA like to clarify. AFAIK Allianz aint mod friendly.

Most people would mostly likely agree, do a tune first whether its JB4 / Proceed / Cobb, and then work out what you need from there onwards..
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Kiwi Peter
Kiwi Peter's Avatar
New Zealand
106
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
JB4 - Legal
DCI - Not really legal, and if a cop pulls you decided to check your engine bay and sees the DCI, that will be consider as a defect.
Catted DP - ? You mean catless? Catted DP = legal.

Some say that we drive a prestige brand and that we rarely get pulled over by cops to check for defects when compared with the JDM. I would probably say yeah thats pretty much true, however don't be surprise that in the near future when BMWs, VWs, and Audis are getting pulled over by HWP and have their hood opened. I reckon its just the matter of time.

From what I had gathered on another site, NRMA would cover all mods on your vehicle without the need to declare. Maybe someone that is with NRMA like to clarify. AFAIK Allianz aint mod friendly.

Most people would mostly likely agree, do a tune first whether its JB4 / Proceed / Cobb, and then work out what you need from there onwards..

Yep 100% bang on
Simple mods first as they make the most gains.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
djpro1
Private First Class
djpro1's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 08 E93 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney, Pymble

iTrader: (0)

With the DCI, will it pass vehicle inspection (ie. esafety check)?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
Zen
Captain
Australia
11
Rep
640
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
With the DCI, will it pass vehicle inspection (ie. esafety check)?
Pink slip?
Don't think it will be an issue as they only look at your vin, indicators, tyres and brakes.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #6
fo55il
Banned
Australia
43
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

correct me if im wrong

jb4 - do it - dont buy ur gf her next bday present. get this. life will still be better

dci - touchy subject - could go either way, Unless u get the covered ones - $$$$

Catless dp - should be sweet, everything is covered, cops cant see. but there is still a pait further down so its all good.

jsut dont get a retarded loud exhaust and youll be sweet.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #7
Brule
Colonel
Australia
295
Rep
2,246
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Darwin

iTrader: (0)

[quote=fo55il;15743187]correct me if im wrong

jb4 - do it - dont buy ur gf her next bday present. get this. life will still be better

Yes!

tune
intercooler
downpipes

Don't buy an Ebay intercooler like I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
Simonaras
Private
2
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo55il View Post
correct me if im wrong

jb4 - do it - dont buy ur gf her next bday present. get this. life will still be better

dci - touchy subject - could go either way, Unless u get the covered ones - $$$$

Catless dp - should be sweet, everything is covered, cops cant see. but there is still a pait further down so its all good.

jsut dont get a retarded loud exhaust and youll be sweet.
lol well said

Having just removed my jb4 tonight from my E92 it had transformed the car back to a bit of a slug. I was always intending to do the DCI and charge pipe but never got round to it. The jb4 was best mod gains I've seen on any of my modified cars over the years. I had a heavily modified 2 door STi , 2.5 block forged pistons big turbo etc etc and the 335i with the tune would leave it for dead.

Talk to Stu from BMR and Pete from Advan they know there stuff and will help you with any mods or tuning needs. Even broken seat cables...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
djpro1
Private First Class
djpro1's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 08 E93 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney, Pymble

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo55il View Post
correct me if im wrong

jb4 - do it - dont buy ur gf her next bday present. get this. life will still be better

dci - touchy subject - could go either way, Unless u get the covered ones - $$$$

Catless dp - should be sweet, everything is covered, cops cant see. but there is still a pait further down so its all good.

jsut dont get a retarded loud exhaust and youll be sweet.
Haha I had a skunk2 exhaust on a Honda Euro. It was fun for the first year but now I think back to myself.. WHY?!

I might consider the JB4 + DCI combo from Bugertuning ($599 USD). No catless downpipes for now - I don't intend to drag race much given I only have a few demerit points left...

I'll need new spark plugs to support this for sure. Haven't been changed and its at 91k. Coils are working fine since I had one replaced when I bought the car and not misfiring under load. HPFP and Water pump have also been replaced. I don't think there's anything else I need to be worried about? Map 1 or 2 all day?

Now to convince the wife.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST