E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stage 1 dinan plus what?

09-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
ConnorSch
Rep
Drives: E90

Stage 1 dinan plus what?

I just bought a tastefully tuned e90 n54.
20xxxkm on the engine and turbos 100k on body.
Dinan upgrades all done with new engine
-exhaust
-carbon cold air Intake
-stage 1 tune
-stage 1 suspension

looking into possible upgrades. From what I hear downpipes really wake up the car. suprisingly the CAI and exhaust keep the car pretty quiet. Im looking to build around 400hp not too loud (but louder). I plan on keeping the car as a summer toy for 10+ years so good parts and preventative maintenance are a must. I dont want any engine lights coming on I just want her looking and running like a dream.

Based on what I've read so far I'm thinking
-stock oil cooler (just bought) I live in calgary where it doesn't get so hot so I think itll be fine
-intercooler
-catted DPs
-charge pipe with diverter valves
- in the next year or 2 get a walnut blast and then oil catch can
- s2 or s3 dinan? does a Cobb or jb4 work over an s1 tune or do I have to have it reset before piggyback tune?

thanks for your input guys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Nice car! Some people have run Dinan and JB4 stacked but if you plan to add bolt ons I'd just forget the Dinan tune. I have Dinan stage 2 on mine and really like it but downpipes, etc. will give better results if paired with a tune made for them. You can pick up Cobb APs for next to nothing and even their off the shelf maps are quite good but run a lot of boost. Custom tuners have largely moved over to MHD but the same thing can ultimately be accomplished with either Cobb or mhd. JB4 is nice if you want on the fly tuning especially for e85 mixes but it's become fairly outdated as most paired it with a backend flash for more consistency and updated trans targets (in autos) rendering the JB4 nearly useless aside from controlling boost and doing a few things like gauge sweeps, shift lights, and controlling the exhaust flap.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Due you currently have a Dinan tune? You may want to check out MHD before doing the FBOs. Btw, nice ride and good luck with the car!
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
ConnorSch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS3IAM View Post
Due you currently have a Dinan tune? You may want to check out MHD before doing the FBOs. Btw, nice ride and good luck with the car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS3IAM View Post

yes I run a s1 Dinan tune currently. I looked at the MHD that looks sick! So what I'd just take it I into bmw and have it reset?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
ConnorSch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Nice car! Some people have run Dinan and JB4 stacked but if you plan to add bolt ons I'd just forget the Dinan tune. I have Dinan stage 2 on mine and really like it but downpipes, etc. will give better results if paired with a tune made for them. You can pick up Cobb APs for next to nothing and even their off the shelf maps are quite good but run a lot of boost. Custom tuners have largely moved over to MHD but the same thing can ultimately be accomplished with either Cobb or mhd. JB4 is nice if you want on the fly tuning especially for e85 mixes but it's become fairly outdated as most paired it with a backend flash for more consistency and updated trans targets (in autos) rendering the JB4 nearly useless aside from controlling boost and doing a few things like gauge sweeps, shift lights, and controlling the exhaust flap.
Quote:
yeah I looked into the mhd I'd probably end up going with that

what else do you have with your s2 Dinan?
I had thought about getting the dinan OC, FMIC and s3 update. Its tempting to go full dinan since I have this much already but for the price I could do those with a different brand and get DPs and chargepipe exc.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorSch View Post

I had thought about getting the dinan OC, FMIC and s3 update. Its tempting to go full dinan since I have this much already but for the price I could do those with a different brand and get DPs and chargepipe exc.
I just have the software. I had another n54 with full bolt ons and honestly didn't think the difference was big enough to justify all the mods unless you go custom tune or e30+ mixes. I do plan to install an FMIC though and I've heard that gives a nice little bump for the Dinan S2 software.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
ConnorSch
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I just have the software. I had another n54 with full bolt ons and honestly didn't think the difference was big enough to justify all the mods unless you go custom tune or e30+ mixes. I do plan to install an FMIC though and I've heard that gives a nice little bump for the Dinan S2 software.
I just have the software. I had another n54 with full bolt ons and honestly didn't think the difference was big enough to justify all the mods unless you go custom tune or e30+ mixes. I do plan to install an FMIC though and I've heard that gives a nice little bump for the Dinan S2 software.[/QUOTE]

Just any FMIC will do hey? I assume you have the stock OC?

I just bought a used oem OC. Havnt installed it yet. Waiting to decide if I want to use it with a dinan radiator or what. Also while the bumper is off and a few things are taken apart might as well do the rest of the engine build
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I just bought a used oem OC. Havnt installed it yet. Waiting to decide if I want to use it with a dinan radiator or what. Also while the bumper is off and a few things are taken apart might as well do the rest of the engine build[/QUOTE]

Yep any will do. For stage 2 you don't even need any bolt ons but there is a separate 'stage 2' file they load if you have an FMIC, etc. Any will work. Probably depends on the shop but the Dinan dealer nearest to me said they'd flash stage 3 if I had any aftermarket oil cooler/intercooler. Evidently my car at one point had stage 3 but only had stage 2 when I bought it.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
ConnorSch
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I just bought a used oem OC. Havnt installed it yet. Waiting to decide if I want to use it with a dinan radiator or what. Also while the bumper is off and a few things are taken apart might as well do the rest of the engine build
Yep any will do. For stage 2 you don't even need any bolt ons but there is a separate 'stage 2' file they load if you have an FMIC, etc. Any will work. Probably depends on the shop but the Dinan dealer nearest to me said they'd flash stage 3 if I had any aftermarket oil cooler/intercooler. Evidently my car at one point had stage 3 but only had stage 2 when I bought it.[/QUOTE]
hmm I wonder why they took s3 off
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Jb4 works with Dinan stage 2 very well as it is similar to the pump bef
Appreciate 0