E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Bushfires

01-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
BSG335
Driving in the slow lane
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Bushfires

How are you fellas doing with half the country on fire? Hope you and your families are all safe.

I'm glued to the TV and radio to see so many places I've visited going up in flames. Feel so bad for the residents of those areas.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 04:12 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG335 View Post
How are you fellas doing with half the country on fire? Hope you and your families are all safe.

I'm glued to the TV and radio to see so many places I've visited going up in flames. Feel so bad for the residents of those areas.
We are all good in city but the fires are pretty bad with no end in sight. At least another 8 weeks of fire storms ahead Thanks for the well wishes though BSG
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Hi mate, thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, its a dreadful time. I've got friends in the NSW Southern Highlands and South Coast and family in Western Regional NSW. They're all ok but they've all packed caravans, van and trailers ready to leave at a moments notice. Some have already left and are just waiting to see if there's any terrible news or when they can finally go home. Some friends of friends have already been told the sad news that there's not much for them to return too.

Its a terrible time and my heart and thoughts go out to anyone who is or may be affected. I wish everyone a happy new year, but I know there are those that this is not a happy or celebratory time. To them, I wish the very best and that they know our thoughts are with them and that we, they're fellow Aussies, are behind them all the way.

For me, when this is finally all over, the best that I can think of doing, is not jumping on the climate change or blame game band wagon that will be sure to start, but instead, make as many donations as I can to places like buy a bail and RFS and buy as much local products from both the drought and fire affected areas as possible to help rebuild the local communities up again.
Appreciate 2
jzx_andy245.00
BSG33528.50
      01-15-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
cqtiger
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe e92

Just drove back to Rockhampton from Wollongong and there were lots of burnt areas. We had some bad ones around Rocky last year but looking better now.

In Wollongong the smoke and ash was terrible especially with water restrictions and not being able to use the hose to wash the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
doc dogg
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 320D

I've got friends and family who have been affected in NSW/ACT, Vic and Kangaroo Island.

One bloke has lost his retirement house in Mallacoota (the house is insured, but the established orchard and gardens are toast) and the meditation/health refuge he helped build in the Blue Mountains is gone as well (unlikely to have been insured). He lives and works in the ACT so other than the toxic air, he is fine.

A friend who lives near Braidwood lost his house, but was able to move in with his girlfriend until he rebuilds. His main worry is that he needs to see his ex-wife more often because the kids are living there while the house get rebuilt.

Family on KI have lost farms and houses, but luckily have houses and 2nd jobs in Kingscote, so they are safe and not reliant on external funding to get by. Everything is insured and they can live relatively normal lives whilst they rebuild.

Everything is all good in Mildura, apart from the rain avoiding us and it being dusty as fuck.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Yeah, there are people who have been really affected by these fires as noted above whilst for most of us in the cities life goes on as per usual. Hopefully some of that massive amount of aid that has been raised will get to those that need it!

Last year I did a drive from Sydney down to Mount Buller via Kosciusko, Omeo, Corryong, Anglers Rest, etc., and it is hard to believe that a massive amount of those areas have been burnt out and pretty much all affected from Kosciusko all the way down to Omeo and further west.
Appreciate 0