E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Good Purchase?

11-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
ghost_m2c
Chief Cavity Inspector (TSA)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i XDrive

Good Purchase?

So I have been contemplating buying a 335xi for a while and I have seen the downsides and maintenance issues with the engines. I was thinking about buying one as a first car. (I mess with my dads car so I have an m2c in my profile) I understand the underlying issues with some of the preowned ones (horrible maintence, oil leaks, valve cover, ect.) but I love the way that they look and sound. plus 500 hp on stock internals sounds amazing I am saving some money in case of really bad engine problems.

Awful first car purchase or not?
      11-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

100% I think the 335 is an amazing car and I’m sure you’d love it. Just ask yourself how much you can TRULY afford to spend on maintenance. I bought an A8 way back in the day, but I ended up being car poor and couldn’t even afford to drink and drive... What fun is that!? If I could do it over again I would have bought a 3-cylinder Geo Metro, because when you’re blackout drunk driving home you won’t remember what kind of car you’re in anyway, and with less power you’re less likely to crash and kill somebody. It’s all about responsibility.

I don’t understand what you mean by “mess with your Dad’s car” though. He lets you drive it? He lets you wax it? Not trying to be a dick but I’m not sure what you could possibly be doing on his still-under-warranty M2C that would prepare you for N54/55 ownership.

In all seriousness, it comes down to budget and mechanical inclination, unless you have enough money to pay a shop to fix things for you.

Ah, and last of all, xDrive makes many repairs more difficult, more expensive, and takes a bit of the fun out of driving. That’s personal for sure, but I would say don’t get it unless you absolutely need it.

Good luck man
      11-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
ghost_m2c
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
100% I think the 335 is an amazing car and I'm sure you'd love it. Just ask yourself how much you can TRULY afford to spend on maintenance. I bought an A8 way back in the day, but I ended up being car poor and couldn't even afford to drink and drive. If I could do it over again I would have bought a 3-cylinder Geo Metro, because when you're blackout drunk driving home you won't remember what kind of car you're in anyway, and with less power you're less likely to crash and kill somebody. It's all about responsibility.

I don't understand what you mean by "mess with your Dad's car" though. He lets you drive it? He lets you wax it? Not trying to be a dick but I'm not sure what you could possibly be doing on his still-under-warranty M2C that would prepare you for N54/55 ownership.

Jokes aside, IMO it comes down to cash flow and mechanical inclination, unless you have enough money to pay for repairs regardless of what happens.

Ah, and last of all, xDrive makes many repairs more difficult, more expensive, and takes a bit of the fun out of driving. That's personal for sure, but I would say don't get it unless you absolutely need it.

Good luck man
Yeah I dont do much. I wash, detail and throw on a jb4 tune. Thats about it but i have plans to throw on some bolt ons after warranty expires
      11-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_m2c View Post
Yeah I dont do much. I wash, detail and throw on a jb4 tune. Thats about it but i have plans to throw on some bolt ons after warranty expires
All good man—that’s a super cool car.

What’s your budget? Not necessarily purchase but for maintenance. I think knowing that will help people give you a more informed answer.

My stock response would be that it’s not an ideal first car, but I realize there might be exceptions. And while I was joking about the drinking and driving part, definitely ask yourself whether you’re likely to get into trouble with that much power. If I had a 335 as my first car straight up I probably would have died, but you may be more responsible than I was back then.
      11-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
So I have been contemplating buying a 335xi for a while and I have seen the downsides and maintenance issues with the engines. I was thinking about buying one as a first car. (I mess with my dads car so I have an m2c in my profile) I understand the underlying issues with some of the preowned ones (horrible maintence, oil leaks, valve cover, ect.) but I love the way that they look and sound. plus 500 hp on stock internals sounds amazing I am saving some money in case of really bad engine problems.

Awful first car purchase or not?
If your familiar with bmws, go for it. Id say the worst thing that could happen on these cars are bad injectors. I personally own a 335xi and its pretty much the same as a 335i apart from the axles. As long as you have the faith and time, its really not hard to work on.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

500hp you must be looking at a prelci.. You would have to put some money into car and be running efuels to get 500 out of the n54 and that will be a tall order on stock turbos (450 is more reasonable with efuel and 420 with pump gas). The n55 dont even think about it.. The E9x series already are issue packed cars.. You add to that the n54 the 4wd you should expect to spend money on it and consistently. You should not have it as a primary vehicle either, a second fun vehicle is a good option.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917369.00
      11-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
ghost_m2c
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Quote:
All good man—that's a super cool car.

What's your budget? Not necessarily purchase but for maintenance. I think knowing that will help people give you a more informed answer.

My stock response would be that it's not an ideal first car, but I realize there might be exceptions. And while I was joking about the drinking and driving part, definitely ask yourself whether you're likely to get into trouble with that much power. If I had a 335 as my first car straight up I probably would have died, but you may be more responsible than I was back then.
i was thinking prob 3-4k in maintenance to start with