E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > ZF6HP21 transmission valve body rebuild DIY

01-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #89
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
I don't have the ZF code listing. I would contact xHP and see if they might have something?
It cleared and hasn't come back. My wife said the car felt like it shifted out of gear and revved like it was in Neutral with no actual engagement while she was driving in 6th at around 50MPH going down a slight incline. She pulled over, put it in actual Neutral and back to Drive and it worked fine. No limp mode, no other indicators. I pulled that one code after she got home. I also checked the fluid level just because I am now good at it ( ). It was still fine. I drove the car the last two days to work and back (20 miles each way). Smooth and silky. No issues. Gonna chalk it up to a random issue unless something happens again.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:09 AM   #90
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
I don't have the ZF code listing. I would contact xHP and see if they might have something?
It cleared and hasn't come back. My wife said the car felt like it shifted out of gear and revved like it was in Neutral with no actual engagement while she was driving in 6th at around 50MPH going down a slight incline. She pulled over, put it in actual Neutral and back to Drive and it worked fine. No limp mode, no other indicators. I pulled that one code after she got home. I also checked the fluid level just because I am now good at it ( ). It was still fine. I drove the car the last two days to work and back (20 miles each way). Smooth and silky. No issues. Gonna chalk it up to a random issue unless something happens again.
Well, that is interesting....🤔
      01-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #91
Metallizer
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

So I came across something interesting when putting the VB back together and checking all configurations. When checking the location of all the balls and check valves in reference to Sonnax's diagram I had to move a ball. It's possible this VB has been rebuilt before and maybe it got mixed up, either way I'm going to go off what Sonnax is telling me to do.

I wasn't sure if anyone else experienced this or even took notice but I thought it was very odd. Either way I'm putting it back together not wasting my time to do the vacuum test, everything went together smooth and if there's a failure it was in an area that I didn't have parts to fix.

Also one thing that needs to be added to the tool list is an 8-32 machine screw, for when you install the End Plugs behind the soleniods.

Overall the rebuild is fairly straight forward, just tedious. If your not good with small parts and O-rings I wouldn't suggest it. The location of all the balls and check valves was the only thing that worrired me from the start but Sonnax got your butt covered on that one....and even the soleniod valve locations.

seccsc- Your DIY has come into excellent use and many more of us mechanics to come will find great value in it.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      01-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #92
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallizer View Post
So I came across something interesting when putting the VB back together and checking all configurations. When checking the location of all the balls and check valves in reference to Sonnax's diagram I had to move a ball. It's possible this VB has been rebuilt before and maybe it got mixed up, either way I'm going to go off what Sonnax is telling me to do.

I wasn't sure if anyone else experienced this or even took notice but I thought it was very odd. Either way I'm putting it back together not wasting my time to do the vacuum test, everything went together smooth and if there's a failure it was in an area that I didn't have parts to fix.

Also one thing that needs to be added to the tool list is an 8-32 machine screw, for when you install the End Plugs behind the soleniods.

Overall the rebuild is fairly straight forward, just tedious. If your not good with small parts and O-rings I wouldn't suggest it. The location of all the balls and check valves was the only thing that worrired me from the start but Sonnax got your butt covered on that one....and even the soleniod valve locations.

seccsc- Your DIY has come into excellent use and many more of us mechanics to come will find great value in it.
I would put the ball back where it came from. Both seccsc and I had the same issue - look at his pics closely. He marked the diagram and mine had the exact same difference. More likely a versioning typo than both our VBs having the same moved ball. I know my VB has never been worked on.

Last edited by AndyW; 01-27-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      01-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #93
Metallizer
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Well I placed the ball where Sonnax had told me, put everything back together and I'm still having the jerky shift going into 4th. I can say the trans is better than what is was, its much more drivable and will actually go through all the gears.

It's very possible that ball is causing trouble and not letting things shift correctly.

One thing I can tell y'all....I'm getting REALLY good at removing this valve body and taking it apart. Good thing this is not my daily driver, so for now it's just going to stay in the driveway until I finish up one of my other cars for race day in a month.

I'll report back once I rebuild for the third time....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #94
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Well I placed the ball where Sonnax had told me, put everything back together and I'm still having the jerky shift going into 4th. I can say the trans is better than what is was, its much more drivable and will actually go through all the gears.

It's very possible that ball is causing trouble and not letting things shift correctly.

One thing I can tell y'all....I'm getting REALLY good at removing this valve body and taking it apart. Good thing this is not my daily driver, so for now it's just going to stay in the driveway until I finish up one of my other cars for race day in a month.

I'm glad the tranny is shifting better except 4th. I hope you are able to resolve the problem.
Please do check out where I marked the ball-check locations on the pictures.
      01-28-2019, 09:19 PM   #95
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:

To assuage any concerns you may hav, look at page 4 of this resource.

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...uum-test-guide

"NOTE: Depending upon vehicle application, the OE springs, checkballs and worm tracks may vary."

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0