E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

09-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #1123
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
I mentioned this in another post related to my fuel pump/starting issues, but I thought I might post here in case it is of any help to everyone.

Before the software update (done while installing the ipod kit), my car's power kicked in at about 1500rpm. After, it was more like 3500rpm. The dealer said they didn't know anything about it of course. But recently when I was there for my fuel pump issue, I asked my SA if he had heard anything new on the lag problem. He said there may be a patch now to address it. Now I dont know what exactly this software is that they changed, but he did give me the release numbers. He said it was part of the ECU program but that's all he really knew. After driving the car I was so excited I never even thought to go back and speak to the tech directly. I can tell you this though, my car is now back to normal. No kidding. Maybe if you mention this fix to your SA they can update the same program they did for me. Hope this helps.

Old SW version E89 x 08 03 530
New SW versiom E89 x 08 03 540
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Meyergru or anyone, can you translate the SW versions to the more common lingo of XX.X? Or, King, are you able to get a version number from your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #1124
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobu View Post
Your point is well taken.
However, when it comes to getting to the bottom of it, given the fact that we all here know what the problem is (s/w) and given the history of this forum members' dealings with dealerships, I really don't know what they can possibly get to the bottom of ? There is nothing magical that they will able to do (short of downgrading s/w) except to piss me off w/some stupid response. The best case scenario is I get to wait for 50-60 days to see the "cannot talk to" regional tech rep and then wait some more and more ... and all this while I continue to fight frustrations of every day's driving and continue to pay for the car I now hate.
I hear ya man. My feelings exactly.

Even though it may take 50+ days to get an appointment with The Stig/Regional Tech (I highly doubt it will, actually...The Stig makes rounds every few weeks), I would absolutely persue it.

Also, maybe mention to your Service Manager to call my Service Manager (I believe I PM'd you my dealer info, but if not, PM me and I'll get it to you). That way, they can talk to one another, since they would both be dealing with the same Regional Tech, given that the dealerships are 20 minutes apart.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #1125
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Meyergru or anyone, can you translate the SW versions to the more common lingo of XX.X? Or, King, are you able to get a version number from your dealer?
That's strange. From this link I would guess that this corresponds to v30.0.1 and v30.0.2. But I thought that there were people that also have this and got lag?

I don't know exactly which version my car had on, v30.x in any case, but that might have been v30.0 with DME target data status E89X-08-03-530 (which was identical to v29.2).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #1126
KingCobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i Sport

The SA didn't know which version of Progman I have, but I just had my ipod kit installed and software updated in the beginning of June, so I would imagine my version is pretty new.

What's more interesting, it states specifically on my invoice that they did work to repair a reported problem with turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #1127
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
The SA didn't know which version of Progman I have, but I just had my ipod kit installed and software updated in the beginning of June, so I would imagine my version is pretty new.

What's more interesting, it states specifically on my invoice that they did work to repair a reported problem with turbo lag.
It must be one of v30.0.1 or v30.0.2, I'd guess it's the second. v31 is not out yet and has a different target data status, whereas v30.0 has the same target data status than v29.2 (i.e.: not yours).

Did they do anything else than just updating the software? Maybe they just have found the "triggering" condition and fixed that in your case and the software update came as an unneeded but welcome extra?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #1128
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
It must be one of v30.0.1 or v30.0.2, I'd guess it's the second. v31 is not out yet and has a different target data status, whereas v30.0 has the same target data status than v29.2 (i.e.: not yours).

Did they do anything else than just updating the software? Maybe they just have found the "triggering" condition and fixed that in your case and the software update came as an unneeded but welcome extra?
That would be really intriguing if that were the case.

It could also be something to do with having newer hardware, if his '07 is a later build. Or, it could be a premature evaluation. KingCobra, are you sure the lag is gone, even after the car has warmed up for 15-20 minutes?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #1129
KingCobra
Private
Rep

No he said they specifically did that update to address the lag issue. Other services the car was in for: They finally replaced the high pressure fuel pump and stopped blaming my starting issues on ethanol, replaced the sunroof switch (it was stuck open when that failed), cleaned and adjusted the brakes to fix a squealing caused by the comfort stop feature, and replaced the rubber trim on the steering wheel as it was already rubbing off. When I got the car back, the mic for voice command and bluetooth wasn't working, so they have it again. I think someone just forgot to plug the mic back in when they replaced that pod.

Overall though I really don't think this is a bad car. BMW's first turbo since what the 70s? Guess there's a bit of risk in being one of the first to buy a new design. I'm sold on these cars, for the most part they are very high quality machines and there's just something about driving them you don't get anywhere else.

Good news is I'm diggin the X3 they gave me! Never realized how useful an SUV could be for carrying bikes and stuff around.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #1130
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:

KingCobra, I think you are in a position to aid the community in a huge way. Would it be possible for you to get ahold of your tech and ask him exactly what was done? Or see if he minds other BMW techs contacting him regarding the turbo lag problem? Maybe even a scan of your receipt showing what was done to fix the problem may help those with service advisors that refuse to acknowledge the problem.
      09-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #1131
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
KingCobra, I think you are in a position to aid the community in a huge way. Would it be possible for you to get ahold of your tech and ask him exactly what was done? Or see if he minds other BMW techs contacting him regarding the turbo lag problem? Maybe even a scan of your receipt showing what was done to fix the problem may help those with service advisors that refuse to acknowledge the problem.

I agree, this would be great if we can get some more information. I know I am on 30.0.2 with a Dec 07 build and the lag is still there.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #1132
KingCobra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
That would be really intriguing if that were the case.

It could also be something to do with having newer hardware, if his '07 is a later build. Or, it could be a premature evaluation. KingCobra, are you sure the lag is gone, even after the car has warmed up for 15-20 minutes?
I can tell you my build date as soon as I get the car back. Yes I am positive the lag is gone. For example, it used to be if I was in second gear and rolling with the RPMs around 1k, if I would gas it the car would just kind of bog down until just before 3500RPM. It would go, but it just felt like I was dumping gas through it more than anything.. once it hit that mark you would feel the rush of power and the car would lurch forward (it was really frustrating). Now, if I do the same thing, its at just before 1500 that the power comes on. I did this after driving about 45 minutes, then just found empty streets and tested it out every way I could think of. The power is there almost instantly now. It responds just like it used to when I first got it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #1133
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can tell you my build date as soon as I get the car back. Yes I am positive the lag is gone. For example, it used to be if I was in second gear and rolling with the RPMs around 1k, if I would gas it the car would just kind of bog down until just before 3500RPM. It would go, but it just felt like I was dumping gas through it more than anything.. once it hit that mark you would feel the rush of power and the car would lurch forward (it was really frustrating). Now, if I do the same thing, its at just before 1500 that the power comes on. I did this after driving about 45 minutes, then just found empty streets and tested it out every way I could think of. The power is there almost instantly now. It responds just like it used to when I first got it.
A few more questions. Not trying to give you the third degree, I just want to eliminate any noisy variables from your situation...

Did you ever experience The Lag before your fuel pump went bad?

Now, with supposedly no lag, about how long does it take for the turbos to noticeably "kick in" if you press the accelerator hard (say 3/4 of the way to the floor) immediately after decelerating (no throttle) down to around 2k RPM or so? 2nd and 3rd gear are best for this, but really about any gear besides 1st will do.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #1134
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It responds just like it used to when I first got it.
Can't wait to see the info requested by other poster's above. I mean, no one has said the quoted sentence above in many many months (except Meyergru!). I think I got a little teary eyed when I read it, actually.

Right now you are Ace #1 for helping us out with all the info you can get your hands on (noted in iScream and Slubu's posts above).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #1135
KingCobra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
A few more questions. Not trying to give you the third degree, I just want to eliminate any noisy variables from your situation...

Did you ever experience The Lag before your fuel pump went bad?

Now, with supposedly no lag, about how long does it take for the turbos to noticeably "kick in" if you press the accelerator hard (say 3/4 of the way to the floor) immediately after decelerating (no throttle) down to around 2k RPM or so? 2nd and 3rd gear are best for this, but really about any gear besides 1st will do.
I've had the starting issue for a long time, the lag didn't start until they did the Progman update in June. I would be happy to post a video doing the above when I get the car back. Anyone know a good site to host one at?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #1136
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've had the starting issue for a long time, the lag didn't start until they did the Progman update in June. I would be happy to post a video doing the above when I get the car back. Anyone know a good site to host one at?
Just create a youtube account. If you're not into that, and the video is small, I can PM you my email address and I'll post it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #1137
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

FTR, I am skeptical of this 30.0.2 thing (can you tell?) and nothing against KC, but there is so much other conflicting evidence to that story. No indication of waste gate fixes in 30.0.2, other posters with 30.0.2 and The Lag, BMW's continued denial, etc. I really would like to see that video and get all the facts, but let's not get too excited yet. KC, ANY info from the horse's mouth -- the BMW tech who fixed your car -- would be excellent info to have.

Also can't wait to hear reports from the first v31 users, as that seems to be our most promising lead so far...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #1138
KingCobra
Private
Rep

Ok I can do that. Dealer still has the car for that mic problem and the steering wheel trim, I'll let you know as soon as it's posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #1139
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
For any that care... I reloaded the pre "lagfix" v3 firmware/map last night, and BAM; hello lag, hello loud and popping exhaust. I wanted to switch back to see just how dramatic the lag difference is, and as you all are unfortunately aware, the difference is absolutely night and day.

I just WISH I could take my SA/regional tech for a test drive and explain the conditions, etc... Somehow I don't think that would end up in my favor

Keep fighting guys! It looks like we are getting closer to official acknowledgment of the issue
      09-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #1140
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Just got off the phone w/my SA - they acknowledge the lag. SA sent PUMA request to Germany and they also said that they are aware that in some cases s/w 29.2 can create the lag issue. SA says they cannot do anything until they receive new s/w to fix the issue. No clue as to what the fix version is or when it is going to be available. In the mean time I am stuck w/f'd up car. Ggoing to pick it up after work and talk to SA some more, but feel pretty optionless here ...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #1141
imoksoami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I talked to the SA/Dinan guy at my dealer about this today. He acknowledged the lag, that the new software was responsible and then stated that at least the power was more linear with the update... He also said he didn't think BMW would back track and do anything about it. I asked him if he didn't feel like this was a bit of a bait and switch and he shrugged his shoulders and said he was at the mercy of BMW.
I am pre 29.2 so I know what is coming and don't know what to do. I look at the 50K car I bought and know that the minute they have to update it it will be a different car. That sucks. I will probably go the Dinan chip route and hope that solves the issue when it happens but I can't see ever buying another Beemer.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #1142
imoksoami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Just got off the phone w/my SA - they acknowledge the lag. SA sent PUMA request to Germany and they also said that they are aware that in some cases s/w 29.2 can create the lag issue. ...
If 29.2 changes when the wastegate opens, which my SA confirmed, then 29.2 affects everyone, some if not most just aren't as aware of it.

Last edited by imoksoami; 09-08-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #1143
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Just got off the phone w/my SA - they acknowledge the lag. SA sent PUMA request to Germany and they also said that they are aware that in some cases s/w 29.2 can create the lag issue. SA says they cannot do anything until they receive new s/w to fix the issue. No clue as to what the fix version is or when it is going to be available. In the mean time I am stuck w/f'd up car. Ggoing to pick it up after work and talk to SA some more, but feel pretty optionless here ...
Wow, they actually acknowledged it. This is good news that more SA's are acknowledging it as most of us have received the cold shoulder. Interesting that your SA mentions "the new" S/W fix as this translates to me that they are aware of the issue and were informed of a fix. Are there not any BMW tech's on this board that can help us out to let us know if there have been any service bulletins sent out from corporate?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #1144
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
Wow, they actually acknowledged it. This is good news that more SA's are acknowledging it as most of us have received the cold shoulder. Interesting that your SA mentions "the new" S/W fix as this translates to me that they are aware of the issue and were informed of a fix. Are there not any BMW tech's on this board that can help us out to let us know if there have been any service bulletins sent out from corporate?
Cobu, that's mildly good news...I guess...I mean, they didn't blow you off and say you were nuts.

Prof3ssor, my dealer is basically doing the same as Cobu's (they are also only like 10 miles apart, so maybe they share info...although that'd be too good to be true). They say "yeah, we feel it's different....but we can't do anything right now." and short of reverting me to 27.4, then yes, they are pretty much right. It's up to the German eggheads to figure this out and send out a fix...if they ever will (or, it's up to us to sue them for enough $ to recoupe the resale value hit it will take when we all dump these laggy cars this year).
Appreciate 0