E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > OEM shock absorber + Coil springs - brand name?

08-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
E93long
ICP111
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I

OEM shock absorber + Coil springs - brand name?

Hi everyone,

I'm not very good with cars so bear with me. I recently bought a E93 - 09 plate. 330i Msport. 18 inch alloys (after market) with brand new tyres. Noticed rubbing when turning right - but didn't think much of it.

I took the car for wheel alignment but the mechanic told me that although the height of the front of the vehicle is perfect, the rear is lowered by 20mm. Furthermore he said he saw and felt / showed me black coal type muck that is apparently leaked fluid from the Damper. First question - are dampers shock absorbers?

He said the rear end is most probably due to busted coil springs.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Aside from this rubbing sound, I've had no issue with the car. Drive's well - didn't really notice anything in the handling. Do you guys think he's right?

He recommended changing both the shock absorber and coil springs, which brand is OEM? I've checked realoem.com and found a part number for the shock absorbers 33526780199 but putting that into google brings up lots of different brands. I can't find a part number for the springs.
Also while changing these - would you recommend I change anything else at the same time?

I bought an older car to try and fix up / do things myself - does anybody have any guides I can look or that they recommend? I've looked at a couple of youtube videos - but obviously as I don't know what I'm doing, not sure if they're showing me the best.

Thank you for helping and any questions I can answer, please ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

You're in luck because there is quite a bit of information regarding suspension on this forum. Just look up 'rear suspension' in the search field and you should get quite a bit of reading material.

Regarding your rubbing issue, where and what exactly is rubbing?

Your shocks are more than likely due for a change. When replacing shocks it is generally a good idea to also change all accompanying hardware such as shock mounts.

Example: Items 1 to 7 along with Item 5 on this diagram

If the spring is broken then items 8 to 10 should also be replaced.

Definitely replace both left and right at the same time.

OEM brand for the shocks is either Sachs or Bilstein.
OEM brand for shock mounts is Lemforder
This can be also looked up on fcpeuro.com or ecstuning.com or pelicanparts.com (obtain part number from realoem.com then paste number into search field on one of the sites). Be cautious of part numbers that are for standard suspension and m suspension.

Good luck, and don't forget to look up the info on this site as well as realoem.com

Last edited by Wolf 335; 08-27-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
E93long
ICP111
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
You're in luck because there is quite a bit of information regarding suspension on this forum. Just look up 'rear suspension' in the search field and you should get quite a bit of reading material.

Regarding your rubbing issue, where and what exactly is rubbing?

Your shocks are more than likely due for a change. When replacing shocks it is generally a good idea to also change all accompanying hardware such as shock mounts.

Example: Items 1 to 7 along with Item 5 on this diagram

If the spring is broken then items 8 to 10 should also be replaced.

Definitely replace both left and right at the same time.

OEM brand for the shocks is either Sachs or Bilstein.
OEM brand for shock mounts is Lemforder
This can be also looked up on fcpeuro.com or ecstuning.com or pelicanparts.com (obtain part number from realoem.com then paste number into search field on one of the sites). Be cautious of part numbers that are for standard suspension and m suspension.

Good luck, and don't forget to look up the info on this site as well as realoem.com
Thank you for your help and advice so far!

The Tyre is rubbing I believe. Rear right hand side.

Just a little about parts 1 and 3 - are they different things? It says one is an auxiliary shock absorber (3) and the other is just a shock absorber - again could be a stupid question - Apologies in advance if it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93long View Post
Thank you for your help and advice so far!

The Tyre is rubbing I believe. Rear right hand side.

Just a little about parts 1 and 3 - are they different things? It says one is an auxiliary shock absorber (3) and the other is just a shock absorber - again could be a stupid question - Apologies in advance if it is.
Item 3, what they refer to auxiliary shock is actually referred to as shock bump stop.

There are two versions. One is for standard suspension and other for m sport. Difference is height.
Same for goes for the shock. One is standard suspension and other is m sport.

Item 1 is the actual shock (the nut, item 2, usually comes with the shock so need to buy that separate).

Item 3 comes into play if you were ever to bottom out your suspension (full compression of the shock) this hard foam piece is designed to absorb some of the residual shock.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 08-27-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
E93long
ICP111
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Item 3, what they refer to auxiliary shock is actually referred to as shock bump stop.

There are two versions. One is for standard suspension and other for m sport. Difference is height.
Same for goes for the shock. One is standard suspension and other is m sport.

Item 1 is the actual shock (the nut, item 2, usually comes with the shock so need to buy that separate).

Item 3 comes into play if you were ever to bottom out your suspension (full compression of the shock) this hard foam piece is designed to absorb some of the residual shock.
For this bit - Item 1 is the actual shock (the nut, item 2, usually comes with the shock so need to buy that separate). Did you mean I don't need to buy it seperate?

Also for the life of me I cannot find which coil spring brand is OEM. I tried the websites you sent but still can't find it.

I’ve bought the Bilstein B4 19-145297 dampers – these are the right ones with M sport suspension right for my car? Loads came up with the OEM number

Again sorry for the questions and thankyou or answering so patiently.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93long View Post
For this bit - Item 1 is the actual shock (the nut, item 2, usually comes with the shock so need to buy that separate). Did you mean I don't need to buy it seperate?

Also for the life of me I cannot find which coil spring brand is OEM. I tried the websites you sent but still can't find it.

I’ve bought the Bilstein B4 19-145297 dampers – these are the right ones with M sport suspension right for my car? Loads came up with the OEM number

Again sorry for the questions and thankyou or answering so patiently.
No need to buy the nut as it comes with the shock.

Whats your VIN?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
E93long
ICP111
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No need to buy the nut as it comes with the shock.

Whats your VIN?
I've PM'd you
Appreciate 0