E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Seeking advice on installing head unit from newer car

09-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Mark Hubley
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Seeking advice on installing head unit from newer car

I imaging this has been done, but I have come up empty with searches . . .

I am considering installing a Professional head unit from a 2011 car in my 2006 325i. I have the fiber optic system, center dash speaker, etc. that I believe means I have the Logic 7 system. The short version of why I am considering the head unit swap is that (a) I like SiriusXM radio, and (b) I have had problems with the satellite radio with my current system. A while back I installed a sat radio module from Ebay, got it all working, and within about two months my audio system completely failed. I replaced the module with another one, got it up and running, and after about six months I am having problems with the sat radio intermittently cutting out (all other audio works fine). Rather than try another sat radio module, someone suggesting installing a head unit from a later car with integrated sat radio.

So, I have purchased a head unit from a 2011 car. The VIN from the donor car shows that it was sat radio ready. As I prepare to do the swap, one question I have is as follows:

Do I need to go into the fiber optic connections behind the rear seat bolster and take the SDARS fiber optics out of the main loop? Or can I just leave it connected? Since I made the connections before, I'm sure I can reverse the operation, but I would just as soon not mess with it if I don't have to.

I purchased an extension for the sat radio antenna, and have run it from the trunk to the dash. The 2011 head unit has the direct connection for the antenna, so that is all set.

I guess I may have to do some coding, and I have someone lined up to help me with that.

Any other advice?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Mark Hubley
Rep

FYI, I do not have iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You could just put a Most jumper in at the Satellite module
Location unplug it and program it out of the Radio if its
programmed in even in the New One.
Most jumpers are cheap on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Mark Hubley
Rep

Is there any reason I can’t just leave the current sat module connected in the trunk? My assumption, based on just pure speculation, is that the sat MOST loop will just be ignored by the new radio. Or is there reason to believe that leaving the trunk-based module connected in the loop will cause a problem with the new radio?

I guess I can just leave those connections in place, and try the new radio, and if it works, great! If there appears to be a problem, then I can try taking out the sat radio loop.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Probably won't cause a problem but its taking power from your battery .
Might be a small amount.
and it does need to be powered to complete the loop I believe.
You probably need and Icom cable to program the new radio.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
Mark Hubley
Rep

To close the loop here . . .

My satellite radio is now working!

I installed a "new" head unit from a 2011 car. This required that I run an extension of the satellite radio antenna from the connector in the trunk to the dash for the new radio. That was simple enough. I also had to remove the plastic bracket that holds the head unit in the dash, and cut away a bit where it was interfering with the sat radio connector on the back of the new radio. After installation of the new head unit, everything was working fine, except there was no icon for sat radio upon pushing the AUDIO button. Some research indicated that while this head unit was from a satellite ready car, I probably needed to get an FSC code for the radio that matches my car's VIN.

Things were working with the old sat radio tuner still connected in the trunk and the SDARS still in the MOST loop behind the rear seat. However, I had some time to kill last weekend, so I went ahead and removed the old tuner, and I took SDARS out of the MOST loop.

I contacted BimmerTech about doing the coding, and they ordered up the FSC code. This morning one of their techs did a remote coding session and activated the satellite radio. To my surprise, it worked right away. I thought I would have to call Sirius to activate the tuner, but no.

So, I now have a newer, HD radio, Professional tuner in my 2006 325i, and the satellite radio is working. I had to purchase an extension for the sat radio antenna, modify the mounting bracket, get the FSC code, and have someone do the coding. A bit more of a hassle than I would have liked, but not too bad. I do like my satellite radio!

Thanks again to ctuna!