E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > >>> Racing Brake <<< New Brake Compounds Options

01-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

>>> Racing Brake <<< New Brake Compounds Options

RB has been in search of a brake compound that is easy for customers to choose and use. As a result, we have come out with the ET Series brake pads.

E = Easy to choose & use
T = Tough to wear out

ET Series Characteristics
Excellent Modulation
Consistent friction and torque output
Run from ambient temperature (even in cold winter mornings)
Extended life for rotors and pads
Affordable pricing

Application Guide

ET300
*Upgrade from stock pads for higher performance
*Excellent initial bite at cold temperature
*Very low dust, no squeaking

ET500
*Great for spirited or aggressive street driving
*Will not fade under heavy braking
*Very low dust, none or occasional squeaking

Break-In
All brake pads are recommended to be bedded-in properly according to the proper break-in procedure to assure optimal performance.

Break Pad Performance
The overall brake pad performance can be affected by the rotor material and its surface finish, calipers, and brake bias.

Brake Pad Replacement Important to know!
Since the brake pad consists of the friction material, insulator, bonding agent, and a steel plate, the pads must be replaced when the "non-steel" material wears down to approximately the same thickness as the steel back plate or to the grooves in the pad (if applicable). However, since the groove depth varies from one pad manufacturer to another, we do not recommend running the pad thinner than 4mm (0.16"). This minimum wear thickness is a checkpoint for pad replacement to prevent severe damage from occuring to the brake system, including rotors and calipers.

If interested in more info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...93#post8735193

-Tyler

Last edited by HP Autosport; 01-21-2011 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I've got the ET500 in both my MZ4 Coupe and the Subaru WRX.

In my mind, there's no such thing as street/performance pad. There's street pads, then there's track pads. Track pads aren't good for street use (they're abrasive on the rotors when cold and make a ton of dust and noise) and street pads aren't good for track use (they melt on the track and fade within a few sessions on a tough track like Buttonwillow).

I've been using the ET500 on the street to some good results. On the MZ4 Coupe the ET500 is mated to RB's 2 piece rotors, on the WRX the ET500 is mated to OEM rotors. The ET500 rotor produces a light brown dust rather than the typical black dust, and it's not corrosive nor does it really stick like BMW OEM pads. On the MZ4 Coupe I can literally go for MONTHS without washing the front rim and it would look relatively clean (it's not. It's got a thin layer of very light brown dust) while the rear on OEM pads for street use would probably last about 2 drives before it looks black. So the MZ4 Coupe actually got the reverse effect that the front rims almost always looks clean while the rear looks ugly.

On the WRX with OEM rotors the result is a little bit more mixed. The dust level is equivalent to OEM, maybe a little bit worse. But the WRX came with low-dusting organic pads so I can't really fault the pad here (the OEM WRX pads also disintegrated within 4 sessions). For autocross they're great, for track use they'll last if you're really careful and cognizant of the temperature the brakes are capable of generating. On OEM rotors the result was that a couple of sessions at hot lap speeds they'll still fade. On RB rotors I can probably last about 3.5 sessions before they start showing signs of being overwhelmed. Your mileage, will vary.

They're definitely a good replacement pad for street use, especially if combined with RB rotors (I guess the improved cooling helps the wear, hence less dusting).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0