E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Airbag Recall in Chicago

05-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
nOEMm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e92

Airbag Recall in Chicago

After reading up a bit more about the airbag recall I am now under the impression I have a glorified grenade in my steering wheel which doesnt sit well. So, walking to work today I called Perillo BMW who told me they have absolutely no idea when parts are coming in. She went on to tell me they were compiling a list of people who needed the airbag recall service, and would tend to the orders in that order once the parts are in.

I called today May 17 and am 75th on the list...

So my question to everyone else in Chicago with the recall is:
1) What are your plans for the recall service?
2) Did you get a loaner?
3) Have you heard of other dealers in the area with a similar tactic (i.e. making a list) and if so, are they as long?

‘15 F85 X5M Mineral White - Aragon Brown Full
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Nguyenhu0106
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

from the information i have gathered, they do not have a eta for the parts.
you can push for the loaner but it will be covered by a 3rd party, i think enterprise. some people has gotten replacement bmw but others did not. part of the agreement, you are not allowed to drive your car. from what i hear, there has not been any injuries from all of the bmw accidents that has happened up to now. with that said, i cannot imagine not driving my car and have to drive a Hyundai for the next year or two. yeah you get to keep the miles off your car but summer is here. again there has not been any bmw injuries, im choosing to drive mine. This is a choice we all need to make ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Here's the official word from BMW that I believe answers most of your questions:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Recal...Number=16V-071

Our region is relatively low on the priority list because the biggest issues with rupturing inflators are in the south where it's always hot and humid. As noted, there hasn't been a single reported issue with these airbags in BMWs.

Interesting that dealers are making lists because according to the letter BMW will send out letters when local dealers have parts for our particular cars. Might as well make the call and get on the list if your dealer has one.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
denialchild45
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i e90

I got this letter recently and it's not sitting well with me either. I have pretty bad luck (glorious MKE pothole totaled my GLI a few years back) and am worried about driving this thing. Would be pissed if I were to get into an accident and have the "grenade" shoot shrapnel out.

I also have a project with it I need to finish and obviously won't be able to complete them if I can't drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Plan...don't worry about it. Although, I have been on my motorcycle more ??I'll be lucky to get enterprise set up for me from PATRICK.
This is an enormous liability for BMW so they are taking it seriously, but replacement parts are not readily available.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

I received my letter in January, still waiting for a call. I'm not to worried about it. I changed my steering all wheel a few month ls ago, no issues
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

This recall bothers me but I've been following this since ~2014 when the news first came out so it was no surprise to me when I emailed my service advisor at Zimbrick and was told I'd be notified when part were available an there was no eta. With some tens of millions of vehicles affected I never expected this to be a quick fix.

Knowing the problem exists is definitely on my mind every time I get into my car.
Appreciate 0