E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rod knock on 50k motor

12-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #111
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
The DME references load for timing so 12deg might not be far off what stock would be if load is low.
So your saying because load actual is way off load requested on that log, thats why timing is high?

Any idea why that would be?

Last edited by Saif2018; 12-12-2021 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      12-12-2021, 10:42 PM   #112
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Is possible. A lot of n55 were made. So 100k+ doesn’t seem to high to me. I don’t have any affiliation with this particular tuner and I’m not taking sides either, just sharing my opinion that tune isn’t likely to cause a rod knock. Little over a year ago I acquired n54 that was running horrible. Had a lot of faults, from misfires, to fuel cut off codes, o2 sensors code, throttle body fault code. Was literally driven to me for 1500 miles and who knows for how many miles and in what way before that. I replaced all of the parts and fault codes remained. Terry JB4 worked on the scaling of the m3 cluster for my 335i like 10y ago and I have been happy with his products so I reach out, sent him couple of logs and car has been running great since. So I know tune can make a difference but can’t see how it can cause a rod knock. I have done quite few rod bearings on N54. Two of my personal engines spun bearings. But I track these cars. So not even this engine being only at 50k miles is of any significance to me as that isn’t a pointer of how the engine was used and maintained. Could be just weird coincidence and tearing the engine apart won’t give you any answers either unless something purely mechanical like loose rod cap bolt or defective oil squirter.
Can the oil you use cause the problem though as Ken is claiming?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #113
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30FF_ View Post
I definitely realize there are different perspectives for everything but wow, I'm kind of shocked by this. Pretty poor response IMO and doesn't make Ken look very good.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      12-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #114
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
So your saying because load actual is way off load requested on that log, thats why timing is high?

Timing during normal operation is referenced from a table that looks at actual load and rpm. Target load is irrelevant.

Timing is up in the mid 30s at certain points in the stock timing table. You want to fire earlier at high rpm because combustion takes time. Also with a less dense charge you want to fire earlier as again combustion takes longer.

I haven't looked at his log as datazap on a phone is hard work.

I'm not saying Ken's maps are OK, just want to make people aware that there's context that needs considering with timing.

One thing that does always look odd in Ken's maps is the flat timing target. Typically you want timing higher as RPM increases.
Appreciate 1
30FF_35.50
      12-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #115
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Timing during normal operation is referenced from a table that looks at actual load and rpm. Target load is irrelevant.

Timing is up in the mid 30s at certain points in the stock timing table. You want to fire earlier at high rpm because combustion takes time. Also with a less dense charge you want to fire earlier as again combustion takes longer.

I'm not saying Ken's maps are OK, just want to make people aware that there's context that needs considering with timing.

One thing that does always look odd in Ken's maps is the flat timing target. Typically you want timing higher as RPM increases.
Thanks for explanation.

I was thinking the same,

Also I'm wondering why actual load is so low compared to target load under WOT?

I mean actual load should be somewhat close to target under WOT right?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #116
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Thanks for explanation.

I was thinking the same,

Also I'm wondering why actual load is so low compared to target load under WOT?

I mean actual load should be somewhat close to target under WOT right?
Ideally they should be close in all scenarios not just WOT. The target boost is derived from the taget load. If the target boost is not met it could be for a lot of reasons but most commonly boost leak or bad turbos. In that scenario the actual load will fall short.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #117
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for these clarifications. They are very helpful
      12-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #118
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Can the oil you use cause the problem though as Ken is claiming?
Yes, but not the oils mentioned.
Appreciate 0