E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Msa auto start/stop (s1cca) retrofit dme coding problem

01-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #1
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: E93 335i N55 DCT M Sport

Msa auto start/stop (s1cca) retrofit dme coding problem

Recently my starter died on me and that thing was moderately tedious to get to. So I swapped in a way beefier starter that is designed for cars with auto start/stop so I won’t have to do this ever again.(Part number: 12417631559, DENSO 1.6KW)
Now since I have the proper starter in place and I already have 90AH AGM battery with 170A alternator which are the same thing on MSA equipped models, I really want to get MSA to function. I live in Japan and traffic is literal TRASH. I know most people around the world don’t like this function but in Japan it’s very, very common and maybe necessary. If MSA is gonna save me any gas anywhere it’s gonna be here. Of course I’d like it off by default, and only toggled on when I want (ik how to do this). To my understanding, I believe it should work on my 2011 E93 335i N55 with 7DCT.
I got the button but didn’t know which module to code, so I just slapped $1CC into my FA and SG-CODIERHENed every module with a blank .MAN file. I also coded IHK manually to get the button to remember it’s last state. Now every module including the button works like a charm, but MSA just doesn’t work. I got 2 codes:
A562 Message (status of Automatic Start/Stop function, 0x308) faulty, receiver KOMBI, transmitter DME-DDE
E72E Message (status of Automatic Start/Stop function, 0x308) faulty, receiver IHKA, transmitter DME-DDE
Btw JBE is the only module I didn’t code with the FA because I don’t want it to expect a dc-dc converter, which I have no idea how to retrofit. But I believe it’s not mandatory, if I can bear with my lights dimming each time the car auto starts.
I think the code is telling me that DME currently doesn’t understand why IHK and KOMBI are asking for MSA signals - which I should make it to. After some digging, I actually found a post of a person who swapped his DME without proper coding and got the exact same codes. DME is not ready for MSA. But I don’t think I can achieve that with NCS. Anyone please give me some insight on DME coding? Many thanks.
My English is limited but I’ll do my best
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 01:44 AM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takummie View Post
Recently my starter died on me and that thing was moderately tedious to get to. So I swapped in a way beefier starter that is designed for cars with auto start/stop so I won’t have to do this ever again.(Part number: 12417631559, DENSO 1.6KW)
Now since I have the proper starter in place and I already have 90AH AGM battery with 170A alternator which are the same thing on MSA equipped models, I really want to get MSA to function. I live in Japan and traffic is literal TRASH. I know most people around the world don’t like this function but in Japan it’s very, very common and maybe necessary. If MSA is gonna save me any gas anywhere it’s gonna be here. Of course I’d like it off by default, and only toggled on when I want (ik how to do this). To my understanding, I believe it should work on my 2011 E93 335i N55 with 7DCT.
I got the button but didn’t know which module to code, so I just slapped $1CC into my FA and SG-CODIERHENed every module with a blank .MAN file. I also coded IHK manually to get the button to remember it’s last state. Now every module including the button works like a charm, but MSA just doesn’t work. I got 2 codes:
A562 Message (status of Automatic Start/Stop function, 0x308) faulty, receiver KOMBI, transmitter DME-DDE
E72E Message (status of Automatic Start/Stop function, 0x308) faulty, receiver IHKA, transmitter DME-DDE
Btw JBE is the only module I didn’t code with the FA because I don’t want it to expect a dc-dc converter, which I have no idea how to retrofit. But I believe it’s not mandatory, if I can bear with my lights dimming each time the car auto starts.
I think the code is telling me that DME currently doesn’t understand why IHK and KOMBI are asking for MSA signals - which I should make it to. After some digging, I actually found a post of a person who swapped his DME without proper coding and got the exact same codes. DME is not ready for MSA. But I don’t think I can achieve that with NCS. Anyone please give me some insight on DME coding? Many thanks.
My English is limited but I’ll do my best
Have you got ISTA? Try running the test plans for those fault codes and see what it tells you to do. I don't think you can do much with the coding on the DME.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 02:19 AM   #3
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

If the missing signals come from the DME on PT CAN and are transmitted to K CAN via Junction box module, which you haven't coded that could give rise to the issue you have.
Also what have you done about brake vacuum sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:41 AM   #4
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Have you got ISTA? Try running the test plans for those fault codes and see what it tells you to do. I don't think you can do much with the coding on the DME.
I have ISTA and there are no instructions provided for these 2 codes
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
If the missing signals come from the DME on PT CAN and are transmitted to K CAN via Junction box module, which you haven't coded that could give rise to the issue you have.
Also what have you done about brake vacuum sensor?
So I actually should code JBE…? I’ll give it a try, dc-dc converter problem can be dealt with later
I did nothing about the brake vacuum sensor. I didn’t even know I should have done something to that. Would you explain it? You sure know a lot better than me please help me ��
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

I could be wrong, never having dealt with a Japan market car. But here in the UK the MSA system incorporates a brand vacuum sensor to start the engine if vaccum falls too low.
I've never seen a non MSA car with the sensor - which is built into servo vacuum pipe.
Maybe you have it, maybe you don't need it. Just curious.

I'm not certain about the PT Can - K can point made earlier but its worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I could be wrong, never having dealt with a Japan market car. But here in the UK the MSA system incorporates a brand vacuum sensor to start the engine if vaccum falls too low.
I've never seen a non MSA car with the sensor - which is built into servo vacuum pipe.
Maybe you have it, maybe you don't need it. Just curious.

I'm not certain about the PT Can - K can point made earlier but its worth a try.
From what I see in the codes Japan markets cars are 99.99% identical to EU ones except tollgate room mirror & stuff that’s exclusive to our country. I’ll definitely try coding JBE but it’s 2AM now so maybe tomorrow.
About the sensor, I looked through realoem but couldn’t find the part you described. Is it possible for you to provide a part number? I’m suspecting it is necessary for start stop.
Edit: I got the part number. It’s a little sensor that plugs into the booster and I do believe that’s not present in my car. Not even shown in the parts catalogue. I’ll do some more research about that one.

Last edited by Takummie; 01-09-2022 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:08 AM   #8
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

K I've done my research and here is my conclusion:
It's impossible (for me) lol
You are absolutely right on the brake sensor stuff. MSA system do require the brake vacuum sensor to be in place to function or it will throw a code and fail. Also this code can get DME into limp mode for some reason.
About JBE, I was not able to rule out if it is necessary to code but if I do, it will start to probe for the dc-dc converter that is almost impossible to retrofit (a LOT of wirings), and the code for that also stops MSA from functioning.
Now finally DME... yeah it needs to be coded somehow to activate start/stop. Since a 335i N55 with MSA simply never existed I can't just swap the right one in. MHD offers some options like popping, cold start cancelling, etc. I know those are OEM options that are acually codes lying in the DME just like any other modules, I suspect MSA is on the same level. However, I have no idea how to reach it.
So in order to do this retrofit, I'll need:
new brake booster (so I have the hole for the sensor)
brake vacuum sensor
dc-dc converter (and whatever the hell of a wiring job)
DME coding (no idea how to do)

I actually reached out to BPM Sports who actually managed to retrofit MSA into an M3. But they said it is not worth the time effort for them to look into it. I think I now understand what they mean.
I quit
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:20 AM   #9
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

How is the dc-dc converter connected? Ie. LIN bus, K Can etc?
I've got a feeling not all cars with stop/start have it fitted.
Brake vacuum sensor could be cheated, either you could make a solution to install it in the pipework rather than separately in the servo, or you could pass a constant voltage back to the signal line and not fit the sensor at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:29 AM   #10
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

11664575777 would solve the brake vacuum issue, with wiring installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:55 AM   #11
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Quote:
How is the dc-dc converter connected? Ie. LIN bus, K Can etc?
I've got a feeling not all cars with stop/start have it fitted.
Brake vacuum sensor could be cheated, either you could make a solution to install it in the pipework rather than separately in the servo, or you could pass a constant voltage back to the signal line and not fit the sensor at all.
Actually, that's how it is fitted on M3s. There is a part called vacuum line with sensor for M3 exclusively.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:06 AM   #12
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Oh yeah that one lol.
And the dc-dc converter... I'm 80% sure there is one for all MSA cars but I can't find a wiring diagram of it. All I know is it takes a coupler with ~10 pins and the harness is not present in my car. Considering it's function I think it either splices between all the lights and FRM, and takes command from JBE, or splices between JBE and other modules. It's just a voltage stablizer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:07 AM   #13
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

So, it doesn't have to be fully connected, as long as its there and not reporting a fault on its diagnosis line....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:28 AM   #14
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

That's one way to do it I guess.
Still, no luck on the DME.
Much more research is needed I suppose
Appreciate 0