E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Cooler to Replace Fog Lights

01-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
Bush Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i Coupe, 04 BMW 325i

Oil Cooler to Replace Fog Lights

It seems to me that the obvious location for the heat exchanger/s for an oil cooler on my 08 335i is to replace the fog lights with two oil cooler heat exchangers but I can't find one that uses this configuration. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:15 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pilot View Post
It seems to me that the obvious location for the heat exchanger/s for an oil cooler on my 08 335i is to replace the fog lights with two oil cooler heat exchangers but I can't find one that uses this configuration. Any thoughts?
You just need to put one in the factory location. Passenger wheel well. If your car did not come with the oem oil cooler (mine doesn't either) you can add one but you will also need the proper oil filter housing.
I have thought about this also. I am fbo and 2+ tune and never needed one since I don't track the car.
      01-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
Bush Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm reading on the track portion this forum that the OEM oil cooler isn't sufficient. I have the OEM one and drove on a track in an ambient temperature of around 60 F with no issues but I didn't stay out very long.

I'm thinking a best solution would be to replace the fog lights with additional heat exchangers along with the OEM one in the wheel well but don't see a cooler like that offered.

What's "fbo" and "2+ tune" mean? Where can you take advantage of those tunes if not on a track?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm reading on the track portion this forum that the OEM oil cooler isn't sufficient. I have the OEM one and drove on a track in an ambient temperature of around 60 F with no issues but I didn't stay out very long.

I'm thinking a best solution would be to replace the fog lights with additional heat exchangers along with the OEM one in the wheel well but don't see a cooler like that offered.

What's "fbo" and "2+ tune" mean?
I have not personally ever seen fog lights replaced with heat exchangers. If you are finding the stock one not keeping up, you could upgrade it and possible the thermostats when it opens.
I believe the stock one isn't utilized till the oil hits 105c (I'm Canadian).

Are you on a stock tune?
Fbo = full bolt on mods
Running MHD stage 2+ map 93 octane
MHD also has a sport cooling option that seems to help a bit.

I daily my car so I enjoy the 400hp everywhere lol
      01-18-2022, 12:32 PM   #5
Bush Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I could tell you're Canadian by your accent. LOL.

I'm on a stock tune. If the cooling system can't keep up making stock power it certainly isn't going to making more. On a track, the thing slowing me down the most is my ability and no limited slip diff. I've got a Wavetrac LSD but haven't installed it.

For me the fog light delete would be the most logical place for an additional oil cooler. I don't think the OEM oil cooler could be surpassed given that it's designed for X amount of airflow and that's all you're going to get in the wheel well. A oil cooler addition needs to get more airflow somehow without dumping additional heat onto other heat exchangers and I see that in the fog light location.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
Bush Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I have not personally ever seen fog lights replaced with heat exchangers. If you are finding the stock one not keeping up, you could upgrade it and possible the thermostats when it opens.

Are you on a stock tune?
Fbo = full bolt on mods

400 hp.? You must be able to burn that one wheel up real good....unless you have a limited slip.....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:36 PM   #7
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post

Are you on a stock tune?
Fbo = full bolt on mods

400 hp.? You must be able to burn that one wheel up real good....unless you have a limited slip.....
X drive so nothing but traction
But there are tons of people on here with the same tune and rwd.