E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo whistling sound?

01-18-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Turbo whistling sound?

Hello,
I know this has been talked about before but I can't find a definitive answer on the sound and or if my turbos are going bad. I hear a settle turbo whistling sound at low RPMS. "I think" the sound goes away slightly once the engine is really warmed up. If you experienced this noise after going FBO I'd love to hear about it. I have NO smoke on cold starts, NO misfires, or other issues.
My mods are in the signature with all maintenance completed except new injectors. 112k miles.
Can the turbo inlets fail or come loose after doing this tune?
Could the BOV make a whistle sound at low RPMS? I bought it and installed it without swapping spring or anything. I'm hitting and targeting 18-19psi.
Should I worry about the turbos?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
Hello,
I know this has been talked about before but I can't find a definitive answer on the sound and or if my turbos are going bad. I hear a settle turbo whistling sound at low RPMS. "I think" the sound goes away slightly once the engine is really warmed up. If you experienced this noise after going FBO I'd love to hear about it. I have NO smoke on cold starts, NO misfires, or other issues.
My car is MHD stage 2+, FBO, with all maintenance completed except new injectors. 112k miles.
Should I worry about the turbos at all?
You will hear the turbos spool more with catless downpipes.
A hissing sound could point to a boost leak somewhere.
If your turbos have a siren sound that is more concerning to pay attention for and usually means they are slowly dieing. You can also get this sound if they rear inlet slips off the turbo. This can happen if you are yanking on the rear dci too hard etc.
      01-18-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Bimmer_Bro Damn really... I need to check for boost leaks but I did replace the vacuum lines. Can you explain the "Siren Sound". I've searched on YouTube for videos but the sounds clips are trash for the most part. Smart phones don't record audio that great. hahaha
I agree everything got noisy after downpipes which is fun. I want to dyno the car (for fun) and not blow the turbos ya know.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Hello,
My mods are in the signature with all maintenance completed except new injectors. 112k miles.
Could the BOV make a whistle sound at low RPMS? I bought it and installed it without swapping spring or anything. I'm hitting and targeting 18-19psi.
Should I worry about the turbos?
Sounds like turbo siren, seems to happen to stock turbos when you get near 20psi, turbos could be dying worst case. Inlets popping off or some sort of boost leak can cause similar sounds too as mentioned.

Do you have any logs?

Last edited by Saif2018; 01-18-2022 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Bimmer_Bro Damn really... I need to check for boost leaks but I did replace the vacuum lines. Can you explain the "Siren Sound". I've searched on YouTube for videos but the sounds clips are trash for the most part. Smart phones don't record audio that great. hahaha
I agree everything got noisy after downpipes which is fun. I want to dyno the car (for fun) and not blow the turbos ya know.
At low throttles and lower rpm as the turbos spool it almost sounds like a police siren in the distance. I had this once but turns out my exhaust was touching the subframe bringing unwanted sounds into the cabin.
      01-18-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Sounds like turbo siren, seems to happen to stock turbos when you get near 20psi, turbos could be dying worst case. Inlets popping off or some sort of boost leak can cause similar sounds too ad mentioned.

Do you have any logs?
I have a few 4th gear logs from while back when I drove the car. Looking at them on my phone right now.
From 2500-3700rpms Cyl4 Timing corrections are -3.7, all other Cyl's show no lines on the chart.
I let off the gas at 5k rpms but I was targeting 18.2psi, and hitting 18.7psi. If I had a boost leak I'd see it on that. WGDC (bank 1 and 2) follow the boost level fairly close.
Probably need to rev to redline for a better log but I don't think it matters. Maybe I should do nothing, dyno the car, and be happy!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #7
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
At low throttles and lower rpm as the turbos spool it almost sounds like a police siren in the distance. I had this once but turns out my exhaust was touching the subframe bringing unwanted sounds into the cabin.
Whooohhh whooohh dude! This could be it! I remember hearing no noise after the first drive after DP install, but then it changed. Maybe my exhaust shifted slightly after driving.
That's exactly how it sounds. Like an ambulance or police car from 4-5 blocks away.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Whooohhh whooohh dude! This could be it! I remember hear no noise after the first drive or so after DP install, but then it changed. Maybe my exhaust shifted slightly after driving.
It could be, if the dps are touching the subframe you will get a nasty vibration too.
I have the corsa exhaust which is huge and pretty tight in some places. It was touching the rear subframe so I could hear the noises coming in behind my head. It was a quick fix at the exhaust shop.
      01-18-2022, 12:56 PM   #9
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Bimmer_Bro Thanks a lot man. I'll climb my ass under there and see if it's touching the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #10
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Bimmer_Bro Thanks a lot man. I'll climb my ass under there and see if it's touching the subframe.
Good luck, probably not the exhaust if yours is stock but good to check. I think my corsa pipe is 3.5- 4 inches in some places.

Next I would check the DPs to make sure they are on properly or a v band hasn't snapped. Those can break or the bolts back out. Next double check rear turbo inlet to make sure it's not slipped off. They can also crack since they are plastic.
      01-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #11
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have a few 4th gear logs from while back when I drove the car. Looking at them on my phone right now.
From 2500-3700rpms Cyl4 Timing corrections are -3.7, all other Cyl's show no lines on the chart.
I let off the gas at 5k rpms but I was targeting 18.2psi, and hitting 18.7psi. If I had a boost leak I'd see it on that. WGDC (bank 1 and 2) follow the boost level fairly close.
Probably need to rev to redline for a better log but I don't think it matters. Maybe I should do nothing, dyno the car, and be happy!
Generally you would be off target and WGDC would be climbing higher than normal to try and meet the target. Do a 3rd gear log, 2.5k to at least 6k with DSC fully of in the dry.

If the log looks fine, wouldn't worry too much about it, mines been sirening at low speed for a while but hitting 20psi to about 16psi up top.

Might be a good idea to do oil analysis, as some of the guys mentioned.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #12
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Generally you would be off target and WGDC would be climbing higher than normal to try and meet the target. Do a 3rd gear log, 2.5k to at least 6k with DSC fully of in the dry.

If the log looks fine, wouldn't worry too much about it, mines been sirening at low speed for a while but hitting 20psi to about 16psi up top.

Might be a good idea to do oil analysis, as some of the guys mentioned.
Thanks for the response man. How long have you been driving yours like that?
I checked the connections on the DP when installing them and nothing was rattling or making noises at that time so I'm 95% sure it's either moved and touching, inlet cracked, or the turbos are getting old. I don't have $5k cash setting around for an upgrade so new turbos are out of the question. That just opens the flood gates to more maintenance and upgrades I don't want to do. I love the power level I'm not now. I'd rather install an Wavetrac LSD, coilovers, and more suspension goodies instead of drag racing for bragging rights.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 01-19-2022 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #13
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response man. How long have you been driving yours like that?
I checked the connections on the DP when installing them and nothing was rattling or making noises at that time so I'm 95% sure it's either moved and touching, inlet cracked, or the turbos are getting old. I don't have $5k cash setting around for an upgrade so new turbos are out of the question. That just opens the flood gates to more maintenance and upgrades I don't want to do. I love the power level I'm not now. I'd rather install an Wavetrac LSD, coilovers, and more suspension goodies instead of drag racing for bragging rights.
No worries mate,

I've had mine on a Custom tune for about 5 months probably, they only whine faintly at low rpm. Although I'm getting a cracked Valve Cover replaced, not sure if it had anything to do with the whining, although I was probably loosing some vacuum. If your Turbo is whining it's probably fine for quite a while before they go. Yeah I don't care about bragging rights either, anything around 400whp or more is good enough for a daily in my opinion.

It's a good idea to check your Downpipes, Inlets to rule them out.

Last edited by Saif2018; 01-19-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #14
Navykiller
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is Stick

my 2 cents on the siren... My turbos were making the sound but a hardcore whine at mid rpms. I say mid because I wouldnt go high as I had no boost and didnt want to lean stuff out. Turbos ended up being bad at 120k miles, thats fair at least. I have no sound clip but its a very loud whine that could not be mistaken... 0 boost and everything was connected correctly.
2011 335is 6spd - White with Black Base : 5in VRSF IC / BMS CP Raceport BOV / Arm DP / RB Inlets / JB4 w/ MHD BEF Race / Meth cm10 / Modified CDV / BMS DCI / Stage 2 LPFP / Spec 3+ Clutch / - RB 2+ Turbos SHE LIVES \ Ew @ Comic Sans
1992 NA6 Smurf miata - pretty much dead / parting out
2005 Ex 250 ninja
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #15
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navykiller View Post
my 2 cents on the siren... My turbos were making the sound but a hardcore whine at mid rpms. I say mid because I wouldnt go high as I had no boost and didnt want to lean stuff out. Turbos ended up being bad at 120k miles, thats fair at least. I have no sound clip but its a very loud whine that could not be mistaken... 0 boost and everything was connected correctly.
Yeah I'm at 112k miles now. I don't drive it during the winter or crappy weather days but I feel your pain with the toasted turbos. I'll probably blow mine at some point but I'm not selling this car. Enjoy it too much
Appreciate 1