E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > NOx Map-out/Delete vs NOxEM

01-05-2021, 05:27 AM   #67
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
I can answer a few questions about the OEM NOX Sensor.

Buying a complete new unit in unnecessary. All you need to do is replace the NOX probe with any NGK 8 wire sensor.

For me I found a cheap second hand BMW NOX sensor from an X5 4.0d. I cut the old sensor off which had a failed heating element and cut the 'new' sensor off, soldering the new sensor on to the car. Then registered a new NOX sensor and deleted adaptions.

The solution worked perfectly and the car is showing no errors for the NOX sensor itself. It worked in all modes etc etc.

BUT before spending any money or time on the NOX sensor you need to see if you have the 30E9 code for NOX Catalyst aging. I had this code and read on the internet it would eventually come back even after registering a new NOX cat and fixing any issues with the sensor. I thought for £40 I would try a bottle of cataclean, replacement of the sensor and registering a new cat to see if this was true.

8 months (6000 miles) I can tell you the aging catalyst is back. The car worked perfectly and switched modes as it should, did regens etc all normally until one day it stopped going into stratified mode with no faults present and approx 1000 miles later, 30E9 is back.

So the long and short of it is, if you have 30E9 you have no other option other than Noxem, replacement of the NOX catalysts or a remap. Replacing the sensor for a working one at this point is only a short term solution.

Personally I will be going down the route of NOXEM. I do not think there is anyone that understands these engines in enough detail to sort them out properly with a remap.
This is the best advice on here. I have a sensor that's about 3 years old and giving accurate data in the logs, but I still get an aging cat code come back every year or so. I will be coding out the DTC which should hopefully buy me some more time but once this sensor dies I will be going the noxem route.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #68
ricardnew
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Hi, everyone! I will write my sad experience with the same Noxem emulator and their "great" support. I bought it 6-7 months ago from bimmerprofs.com, unfortunately before reading this topic. Did installation at my local BMW garage. They did all the needed adaptations and resets e.t.c. First few weeks all was great, lower mileage, better idle. But it wasn't long before the first check engine light. Fault 2AF2 about NOx sensor. Support 0 - your fault, mechanics faults, check wiring or something like that. My mechanic checked all the wiring, double-checked, and made adaptations. Still, fault back after 1 week. Again 0 support. Not their fault. So this continued for few more weeks and my mechanic found the guy who took of NOXem and did the programming. The result is a lot of money lost, time, and nerves talking to this shitty support (if we can call it like that). Never recommend this piece of garbage. This all cost me almost 3 times more than programming + my time visiting the mechanic. After reprogramming mileage stays the same, no rough idle, no faults for more than 4 months already.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 03:58 AM   #69
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4foothill View Post
This is the best advice on here. I have a sensor that's about 3 years old and giving accurate data in the logs, but I still get an aging cat code come back every year or so. I will be coding out the DTC which should hopefully buy me some more time but once this sensor dies I will be going the noxem route.
Hi Foothill.

Do you just register a new catalyst every time the code returns each year?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #70
Silber_
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport

Hi all, bit of a noob question here, how does this Nox fault originally manifest itself?

When I picked up my 330i the other week it averaged 35mpg on the long drive home, that was cruise set to 73 and a few squirts along the way, not being a daily driver doing long journeys the fuel consumption is obviously going to tank now but does it throw fault codes or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:18 PM   #71
maca535
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 M5, BMW E91 318i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber_ View Post
Hi all, bit of a noob question here, how does this Nox fault originally manifest itself?

When I picked up my 330i the other week it averaged 35mpg on the long drive home, that was cruise set to 73 and a few squirts along the way, not being a daily driver doing long journeys the fuel consumption is obviously going to tank now but does it throw fault codes or something?
Interested in this, not getting the mpg I thought i would from a 318i and wonder if this nox thing has anything to do with it. But I have no check or warning lights
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:58 AM   #72
motoklet
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardnew View Post
Hi, everyone! I will write my sad experience with the same Noxem emulator and their "great" support. I bought it 6-7 months ago from bimmerprofs.com, unfortunately before reading this topic. Did installation at my local BMW garage. They did all the needed adaptations and resets e.t.c. First few weeks all was great, lower mileage, better idle. But it wasn't long before the first check engine light. Fault 2AF2 about NOx sensor. Support 0 - your fault, mechanics faults, check wiring or something like that. My mechanic checked all the wiring, double-checked, and made adaptations. Still, fault back after 1 week. Again 0 support. Not their fault. So this continued for few more weeks and my mechanic found the guy who took of NOXem and did the programming. The result is a lot of money lost, time, and nerves talking to this shitty support (if we can call it like that). Never recommend this piece of garbage. This all cost me almost 3 times more than programming + my time visiting the mechanic. After reprogramming mileage stays the same, no rough idle, no faults for more than 4 months already.
tell me more about programming. Has your DME been updated?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 08:41 AM   #73
moiz
Rep
Drives: 318 D , 330 Ci, 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Coding out out the NOX will enable it to run stratified... This is how my car is running ;-)

325i, 3l, 3 stage manifold, remap with nox delete running stratified with a slightly broken nox sensor!

With 325i is no brainer to remap. 330I is marginal BHP improvement maybe 10-15bhp...

To really make it work and sound better with either NOXEM or Remap/NOX code out it would be best to remove the exhaust mid section with the Nox cat as both solutions are fooling the ecu in different ways..
Hi, does it definitely run in stratified? As so many have said that show me proof that it runs stratified when deleted. They said they will be shocked if true. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:11 AM   #74
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz View Post
Hi, does it definitely run in stratified? As so many have said that show me proof that it runs stratified when deleted. They said they will be shocked if true. Thanks.

That was from years ago, alot has been learnt since, however my comment at the end ran true, the better solution was Noxem..
It ran stratified because I "Fixed the NOX probe". However it was a false positive which I later replaced with a NOXEM.
Coding out removes the DTC, if the underlying nox system then works you run stratified, if doesn't you don't.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:10 AM   #75
Schomosport
Rep
Drives: 525i

I assume from the above that you bit the bullet and bought the NOXEM. Can I enquire how long you have had it and the miles covered, any effect on fuel consumption or performance?

My NOXEM code (30DE) arrived at the same time as the HPFP code (29F2) along with others, nostly 3104. Arrived under specific conditions (low rpm, big throttle) and either gave me a yellow light ping with the 29F2 or just ran very rough without 29F2 until I cleared it. Did few hundred miles like that as I tried to determine if I needed to bite the HPFP bullet. Now since 29F2 causes the HPFP to be by-passed and the car to run on the LPFP alone - which it will do quite happily and at quite high speed if that's what you want. However, I don't now how well it manages the mixture under those circumstances and I am just wondering of it has run rich and contaminated the NOX sensor? If not, it is an early life failure since a previous owner had it replaced at about 75k miles (currently 92k).

Anway, I am now running on a rebuilt pump which seems to be working fairly well although it took a couple of attempts, but still getting 30DE (NOX) and 3104 (rough running). I was half hoping that if it was a richness contamination problem then maybe it would burnoff over time but it doesn't seem to be working out like that hence the OEM NOX/NOXEM/don't bother time to choose.

At time of writing, NOXEM is only about £100 less than Cotswold's price for an OEM sensor after carriage and import duty. Alternatively we have the ignore it mode with some loss of performance (?) and higher fuel consumption (?). On a 5 year / 40k mies view, unless I can get something like 10% bettr fuel consumption, ignore it is finacially favourable albeit risking further consequential damage and knackering the ultimate resale value. There's also the issue of dealing with Bimerprofs if the NOXEM is faulty.

I have huge amounts of time for Bimmerprofs based on the huge volume of information they have published and shared, however there are some very disgruntled posters here and elsewhere who have had problems with afftersales where the NOXEM has not performed as expected. Decisions, decisions.

I have logged the data outputs from the NOX on a test run based on Bimmerprofs instructions for testing the NOX sensor, looks like some intermittent data coming out it and some very high ppms which may indicate it is shot but tbh I am not really sure how to interpret it. Time base is milliseconds so that's a ten minute test run.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:38 AM   #76
Schomosport
Rep
Drives: 525i

The other thing I was thinking of doing in line with the idea that the NOX sensor might be fuel contaminated was to clear the adaptations to allow it to relearn the 'fixed HPFP' change. Maybe I should have done it straight away although I don't think a replacement HPFP is in ISTA's list of 'reasons for resetting adaptations'. Can it do any harm?

As an adjuct to my NOX/NOXEM/don't trade-off thoughts in my main post, present fuel consumption is about 420 - 440 to a tank. E61 N53 530i, 2 -3 60mile fast dual carriageway runs per tank mixed with supermarket runs, big boot test runs and slower 5 - 10 mile A/B road runs..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:59 AM   #77
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: bmw330i e91 lci/ n53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4foothill View Post
The nox cat code is based on a calculated number of shit inside the cat and not on the actual state of the cat.... so the best way to clean tha cat is to virginize msd80 and than load back tha latest I-level into it
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 04:23 AM   #78
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: bmw330i e91 lci/ n53

Quote:
Sorry to hear that but it seems that there is a number of similar noxem issues across Europe in lat couple of years; it happened to myself as well as few other friens with n53engine. No wonder that it happens because the black box is definitely not a product build according to industrial standards, the cover is glued by white sanitary silicone and the electronic board with parts of doubtfull quality is insulated by a black asphalt which is the worst possible solution; on the top of that the probe itself is very standard Bosch lambda available as cheap aftermarket part.
As I compared that built quality to original nox sensor gen 01 I would say that appropriate noxem price should not exceed 30% of the original part; and anyway- the cost of labour required to get rid of shitty noxem exceeded dramatically costs of original solution with a full guarantee. A far as I am aware the current original nox sensor gen 05 is very reliable solution and together with updated latest software I-level works far better than first generation of nox system

https://www.rajce.idnes.cz/jirka330i...xem/1624644273

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:22 PM   #79
makros
Registered
Rep
Drives: E61

Hello,
I've bought E61 with n53b25 engine, and it has no nox system. Nox catalist is cut off and DME is programmed somehow that I've got no errors from nox system. But my car runs only on homogeneous mode. Is there a way to make it run on stratified mode with out adding a NOXem? I'm asking because i have already paid 500 euro for nox deletation (I didnt know about NOXEM back then).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 05:58 AM   #80
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makros View Post
Hello,
I've bought E61 with n53b25 engine, and it has no nox system. Nox catalist is cut off and DME is programmed somehow that I've got no errors from nox system. But my car runs only on homogeneous mode. Is there a way to make it run on stratified mode with out adding a NOXem? I'm asking because i have already paid 500 euro for nox deletation (I didnt know about NOXEM back then).
Sadly the answer is no- Stratified mode is only available with a working NOX solution. In effect the neon deletion just stops the DTC being reported. So you need to add Noxem - It may or may not work without coding removal - try and see if you can register a new nox sensor (if this work you will enable stratified for probably 10-150 miles until the car understand its not working)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:21 AM   #81
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

fake profile suspected
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:23 AM   #82
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirka330i View Post
Sorry to hear that but it seems that there is a number of similar noxem issues across Europe in lat couple of years; it happened to myself as well as few other friens with n53engine. No wonder that it happens because the black box is definitely not a product build according to industrial standards, the cover is glued by white sanitary silicone and the electronic board with parts of doubtfull quality is insulated by a black asphalt which is the worst possible solution; on the top of that the probe itself is very standard Bosch lambda available as cheap aftermarket part.
As I compared that built quality to original nox sensor gen 01 I would say that appropriate noxem price should not exceed 30% of the original part; and anyway- the cost of labour required to get rid of shitty noxem exceeded dramatically costs of original solution with a full guarantee. A far as I am aware the current original nox sensor gen 05 is very reliable solution and together with updated latest software I-level works far better than first generation of nox system

Fake profile suspect.

https://www.rajce.idnes.cz/jirka330i...xem/1624644273

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:52 AM   #83
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schomosport View Post
I assume from the above that you bit the bullet and bought the NOXEM. Can I enquire how long you have had it and the miles covered, any effect on fuel consumption or performance?

My NOXEM code (30DE) arrived at the same time as the HPFP code (29F2) along with others, nostly 3104. Arrived under specific conditions (low rpm, big throttle) and either gave me a yellow light ping with the 29F2 or just ran very rough without 29F2 until I cleared it. Did few hundred miles like that as I tried to determine if I needed to bite the HPFP bullet. Now since 29F2 causes the HPFP to be by-passed and the car to run on the LPFP alone - which it will do quite happily and at quite high speed if that's what you want. However, I don't now how well it manages the mixture under those circumstances and I am just wondering of it has run rich and contaminated the NOX sensor? If not, it is an early life failure since a previous owner had it replaced at about 75k miles (currently 92k).

Anway, I am now running on a rebuilt pump which seems to be working fairly well although it took a couple of attempts, but still getting 30DE (NOX) and 3104 (rough running). I was half hoping that if it was a richness contamination problem then maybe it would burnoff over time but it doesn't seem to be working out like that hence the OEM NOX/NOXEM/don't bother time to choose.

At time of writing, NOXEM is only about £100 less than Cotswold's price for an OEM sensor after carriage and import duty. Alternatively we have the ignore it mode with some loss of performance (?) and higher fuel consumption (?). On a 5 year / 40k mies view, unless I can get something like 10% bettr fuel consumption, ignore it is finacially favourable albeit risking further consequential damage and knackering the ultimate resale value. There's also the issue of dealing with Bimerprofs if the NOXEM is faulty.

I have huge amounts of time for Bimmerprofs based on the huge volume of information they have published and shared, however there are some very disgruntled posters here and elsewhere who have had problems with afftersales where the NOXEM has not performed as expected. Decisions, decisions.

I have logged the data outputs from the NOX on a test run based on Bimmerprofs instructions for testing the NOX sensor, looks like some intermittent data coming out it and some very high ppms which may indicate it is shot but tbh I am not really sure how to interpret it. Time base is milliseconds so that's a ten minute test run.
Noxem - It been installed 8 months - all good for me wish I had done it sooner which I would have if the owner was quite as abrupt. I can defiantly see why some people are rubbed the wrong way.

At the moment the only person I have seen a report from is Jirka, and I think he seems as abrupt as the owner of Noxem. There was a another report and having checked the details I called it as a fake account.

Obviously if you do have problem, then the ability to DIY remove it and send it back to Latvia is going to be required - so thats the cross you bare buying such a niche product from a small company. But for me i want to dispose of the NOX cats (or at least try it) so emulation was the only valid choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:24 AM   #84
makros
Registered
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Sadly the answer is no- Stratified mode is only available with a working NOX solution. In effect the neon deletion just stops the DTC being reported. So you need to add Noxem - It may or may not work without coding removal - try and see if you can register a new nox sensor (if this work you will enable stratified for probably 10-150 miles until the car understand its not working)
Let me undestand.
If I install NOxem, without coding removal it could work for 10-150 miles, yes?

But if I do a coding removal it should work stratified mode for a longer time?(assuming injectors, probes, etc. are working fine)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 06:39 PM   #85
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makros View Post
Let me undestand.
If I install NOxem, without coding removal it could work for 10-150 miles, yes?

But if I do a coding removal it should work stratified mode for a longer time?(assuming injectors, probes, etc. are working fine)

Here are my thoughts: No gaunertees but Im pretty confident:

1. You have the no Nox
2. You have tune with Nox delete
3. Nox delte = DTC is turned off
4. Nox systems would still work even through DTC is removed

DTC = is just the error being reported in the DME

So my recommendation is you buy NOXEM, install it properly - so go through the full instruction online (you need INPA and ISTA), in short use ISTA to register a new NOX sensor, and INPA to delta adaptations, then follow the process to relearn and use inpa to verify success (flywheel bit and long term trims.)

SO what I am saying is I expect Noxem to work even though you DTC is turned off.
Appreciate 0