E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake pad sensor question

10-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Brake pad sensor question

I have an odd one.

I noticed on my car, my rear brakes had the sensor on the passenger side with the new type of sensor without an L shape. My front brakes has the sensor on the driver side with the older type L shape.

My question is, what is the actual difference and I'm wondering if this may be the cause of my rear sensor install issue.

On parts website it says that the older L shape stops after an X amount of production date, which my car falls into but now my car has both.

I just ordered 1 of each new and old for front and rear and I'll just try them but my question is is it simply form factor or the circuitry is different in the old and new?

Anyone else noticed this?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

I have not noticed this, however I'm sure the parts are interchangeable. From what I understand don't you have to pair up each new sensor with the pad in lieu of inaccurate readings? Or is that just after the sensor has signaled?

I have a weird one where my sensor triggered only from the inner, front left side brake pad. The rest of the pads all have about 10,000 miles left and the rotors look okay.
      10-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
I have not noticed this, however I'm sure the parts are interchangeable. From what I understand don't you have to pair up each new sensor with the pad in lieu of inaccurate readings? Or is that just after the sensor has signaled?

I have a weird one where my sensor triggered only from the inner, front left side brake pad. The rest of the pads all have about 10,000 miles left and the rotors look okay.
I had to change brakes recently and my rear brake sensor probably didn't fit properly and fell and snapped the sensor so I got the warning now.

And my fronts are due to change soon to that's why I got them.

If you have wear on one side only probably your guide pins need cleaned and lubed back up
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
If you have wear on one side only probably your guide pins need cleaned and lubed back up
Didn't even think of that! Yeah I'm going to probably change the fronts in 3 months or so, just did the rears. Have to put some money aside for insurance deductible on new bumper. Hopefully I can squeeze in a M-Tech finally. Then pay out of pocket for a rear M-Tech later on.
      10-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post

I had to change brakes recently and my rear brake sensor probably didn't fit properly and fell and snapped the sensor so I got the warning now.

I took the sensor off my rear pad, wrapped the bundle of wire up and tucked it in the wheel well so that i never get the warning light. I'll eventually do the same with the front.

This way ill never have the annoying light and I'll never need to buy sensors.
      10-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

I compared both sensor one the raised hump is a bit higher.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

The guide pins do not require lube. They can get some black carbon deposits on them that can be removed with steel wool. What most home mechanics do is over torque the living shit out of the guide pins and deform them, which can cause the caliper to bind. The guide pin torque is only 22 pound/feet.

His left front caliper may have a sticking piston.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
Pladi718.00
      10-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The guide pins do not require lube. They can get some black carbon deposits on them that can be removed with steel wool. What most home mechanics do is over torque the living shit out of the guide pins and deform them, which can cause the caliper to bind. The guide pin torque is only 22 pound/feet.

His left front caliper may have a sticking piston.
Oh wow really? I lubed up my guide pins when I did the rears. Really don't see how negatives it can do. It had lube before to.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Oh wow really? I lubed up my guide pins when I did the rears. Really don't see how negatives it can do. It had lube before to.
Yeah, no lube on the guide pins. Overtime that lube will gum up and cause the pins to stick.
      10-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Yeah, no lube on the guide pins. Overtime that lube will gum up and cause the pins to stick.
Why would lube cause it to stick on a BMW compared to not stick on other cars? Plus this car is the first I've seen where the guide pin is really nicely enclosed and protected.

But ok I guess I'll take out the rear pins and clean them off dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #11
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Why would lube cause it to stick on a BMW compared to not stick on other cars? Plus this car is the first I've seen where the guide pin is really nicely enclosed and protected.

I'm not sure what the exact mechanism is that causes the lube to not do its job, I just know that on the cars I've done that have had lube put on, when I pull the pins for the next pad change they are all gunked up with a sticky residue. I suspect this residue is the remnants of whatever grease was applied previously. I also suspect that the residue inhibits the ability of the guide pins to slide properly.

Further, the Bentley manual explicitly specifies that you're not supposed to put grease on the caliper pins. I know it seems counterintuitive. Perhaps the reason why the grease isn't needed is because they are so well protected.
      10-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:

For the love of god man dont argue with people that have more experience on DIY than you and are trying to help. They WILL gum up, it happened to me i used to lube them.. break dust and heat degrades the lube.. Some car MFG you use lube because of a different design of the pin. They are sealed more..

I also used top of the line synthetic high temp lube from permatex.. no buenoo
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I'm not sure what the exact mechanism is that causes the lube to not do its job, I just know that on the cars I've done that have had lube put on, when I pull the pins for the next pad change they are all gunked up with a sticky residue. I suspect this residue is the remnants of whatever grease was applied previously. I also suspect that the residue inhibits the ability of the guide pins to slide properly.

Further, the Bentley manual explicitly specifies that you're not supposed to put grease on the caliper pins. I know it seems counterintuitive. Perhaps the reason why the grease isn't needed is because they are so well protected.
Ok thanks I'll clean it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
For the love of god man dont argue with people that have more experience on DIY than you and are trying to help. They WILL gum up, it happened to me i used to lube them.. break dust and heat degrades the lube.. Some car MFG you use lube because of a different design of the pin. They are sealed more..

I also used top of the line synthetic high temp lube from permatex.. no buenoo
I wasn't arguing I was asking why.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Good Lord, I didn't mean to start an argument. The BMW TIS says not to lube the pins on the E9X chassis. The pins sit in a plastic guide sleeve, which requires no lube. I'm guessing the plastic is some type of ABS due the the high temps the brakes can generate. The plastic is self-lubing is the best way to describe it. Brake dust will gum up the lube if used.

Like I said earlier, the only problem guide pins can have is if they are over-torqued and deform and become out of parallel with each other. Again, the torque is just 22 lb.-ft. People over torque them thinking they are part of the brake assembly and must need to be very tight. All they do is locate the caliper in the carrier, there is actually very little force acting on the thread faces, which is why only a small amount of torque is required.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-12-2018 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

even the carrier bolts don't need gorrilla torque.

everything in the braking system is a bolt in shear. It just needs to be tight enough to not come out.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      10-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
even the carrier bolts don't need gorrilla torque.

everything in the braking system is a bolt in shear. It just needs to be tight enough to not come out.
Exactly. IIRC the carrier bolts to the hub at around 65 lb-ft.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0