E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

10-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #2289
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Gentlemen, I have been lurking on this thread for some time. I have a 2011 335d that is coming off warranty one year from now. Based on the excellent postings of TDYwyse and others, I have been formulating a course of action for my car. Let’s see how carefully I read your comments.

Based on the thread I have concluded that:

- Blocking off EGR is straightforward especially if done on the intake side. Benefits include less CBU and better mileage.

- Blocking off the EGR will set pending and permanent codes if they are not cleared after each ride using BT or Torque or BMWhat.

- The tune installed by Ecotune (via their NJ subsidiary, Redline Speedworx) suppresses those codes.

- But if you have Ecotune you can just turn off EGR therefore no need to block off EGR in the first place

- Ecotune does not require DPF removal but it can accommodate it if desired in a later stage.

- Ecotune’s DPF removal procedure includes removing the DOC and replacing the whole thing with a different downpipe. TDIwyse notes that the DOC performs certain beneficial functions.

Questions:

- Anyone care to share the approx. cost of an Ecotune tune install? Is it a “while you wait” deal? Will they repeat it if my dealer installs new system software?

- Anyone have any idea if the EGR suppression will be visible in the Washington D.C. emissions inspection? I have been told by a fellow diesel owner that the inspection is cursory and is limited to an OBDII scan.

- Does anyone over here choose Ecotune’s “Envirotune” option i.e., optimizing mileage and reliability vice power?

Thanks all! James

Last edited by Persian Whisperjet; 10-13-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #2290
toy_soldier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

I got a dp from Jess and there's a reason why they sell like hot cakes; it is built like a tank and the weld is perfection.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #2291
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Blocking off the EGR will set pending and permanent codes if they are not cleared after each ride using BT or Torque or BMWhat.
The codes set are always able to be cleared at any time. If you drive with the codes set for weeks and decide to clear them they will clear just fine with any scanner.

Quote:
But if you have Ecotune you can just turn off EGR therefore no need to block off EGR in the first place
Ecotune so far does not seem to be able to turn off the EGR with their tune. I believe Jarek is the only one to have that figured out.

Quote:
Anyone have any idea if the EGR suppression will be visible in the Washington D.C. emissions inspection? I have been told by a fellow diesel owner that the inspection is cursory and is limited to an OBDII scan.
to this point, NOBODY has a tune for EGR delete or DPF removal that will pass an OBD scan, though one tuner is supposedly getting close.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #2292
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
- Blocking off EGR is straightforward especially if done on the intake side. Benefits include less CBU and better mileage.
Generally, you want to block at both ends. It's also very easy. Better mileage is negligible.

Quote:
- The tune installed by Ecotune (via their NJ subsidiary, Redline Speedworx) suppresses those codes.
It does remove the codes and that is just so you do not have an annoying SES light in your face.

Quote:
- But if you have Ecotune you can just turn off EGR therefore no need to block off EGR in the first place
So far, there has been a mixed review if Ecotune tune has actually turned off the EGR functionality. For some it worked, for some it did not. I would not rely on the tune alone, get the EGR physically blocked as well.

Quote:
- Ecotune’s DPF removal procedure includes removing the DOC and replacing the whole thing with a different downpipe. TDIwyse notes that the DOC performs certain beneficial functions.
Removing the DPF/DOC, just clarifying. DOC reduces the organic diesel exhaust smell as well as CO.

Quote:
- Anyone care to share the approx. cost of an Ecotune tune install? Is it a “while you wait” deal? Will they repeat it if my dealer installs new system software?
Doubt anyone will do it as a while you wait deal, unless you wait a whole day. Ecotune is in Scotland, btw. The word is, most tuners for a small fee will flash you back if your dealer flashes you to stock. It's the downtime/wait you have to consider.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #2293
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Forgot to post this back in the end of August .... Latest UOA was with the Ecotune deletes using Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40. It had a lot of stress with lots of full power testing and was also in the crank for the 11.8 second 1/4 mile pulls.

Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 is in the engine now.
Attached Images

10-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #2294
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
Sorry bud I just sold that one.. Email me if you're interested tho ... **********************
Yep that was my pipe there LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #2295
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

OK amigos Lenny couldn't come to PR due to personal reasons, I did go under the car cause of suspected leaks but when we investigated there were no leaks whatsoever anywhere, no carbon buildup no noise an car was running , we didn't see or hear any issues around the turbos either
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #2296
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Forgot to post this back in the end of August .... Latest UOA was with the Ecotune deletes using Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40. It had a lot of stress with lots of full power testing and was also in the crank for the 11.8 second 1/4 mile pulls.

Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 is in the engine now.
Puttin' the coal to 'er eh?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #2297
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ha. Yup.

Hey, did you ever get around to the pre-turbo EGT probe? If so, do you have any comparison on the pre/post EGT data?
      10-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #2298
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
Ha. Yup.

Hey, did you ever get around to the pre-turbo EGT probe? If so, do you have any comparison on the pre/post EGT data?
Sorry I haven't had the chance to install my pre turbo egt gauge yet..busy pumping out downpipes and starting work on my "new" house.. From the 1800s
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #2299
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
OK amigos Lenny couldn't come to PR due to personal reasons, I did go under the car cause of suspected leaks but when we investigated there were no leaks whatsoever anywhere, no carbon buildup no noise an car was running , we didn't see or hear any issues around the turbos either
I had heard of one of the 10 had a turbo to down pipe exhaust leak. I removed covers underneath and checked both ends of the pipe. I started car and had neighbor rev engine up to 2000 rpm while i checked for leaks. All good and tight. I also looked at the support bracket hardware to check for any loosening. All is good. I do see a red boost hose with some oil on it. Not too bad yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #2300
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
I had heard of one of the 10 had a turbo to down pipe exhaust leak. I removed covers underneath and checked both ends of the pipe. I started car and had neighbor rev engine up to 2000 rpm while i checked for leaks. All good and tight. I also looked at the support bracket hardware to check for any loosening. All is good. I do see a red boost hose with some oil on it. Not too bad yet.
I know you ecotune pipe guys have had your own installation methods but I find the best way to fit the downpipes is by getting the turbo mount v-band almost tight.. Enough so you can still rotate it with decent force on the pipe.. Then hook up the rest of the pipe and finish tightening your v-band until it pretty much stops
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #2301
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
I know you ecotune pipe guys have had your own installation methods but I find the best way to fit the downpipes is by getting the turbo mount v-band almost tight.. Enough so you can still rotate it with decent force on the pipe.. Then hook up the rest of the pipe and finish tightening your v-band until it pretty much stops
Haha, Jess was one of my "life-lines" in getting pipe on and lined up on both ends. Alas, I had to leave the vband very loose in order to get output end aligned. Mine was not as bad as a couple other guys but it was an alternation of tightening both ends, back and forth to get both ends correct.

During inspection for leaks, the downpipe to midpipe connection is actually touchable with bare hands. I thought it would be hot as fire. Turbo end (forward end) was completely a different story.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #2302
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I haven't had the chance to install my pre turbo egt gauge yet..busy pumping out downpipes and starting work on my "new" house.. From the 1800s
No problem. Please let us know when you do. And good luck on your new house :-)
      10-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #2303
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

All, JR at Redline Speedworx in New Jersey emailed me today to say they are no longer an Ecotune dealer. Are people dealing direct with the home office in Scotland? Thanks, James
      10-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #2304
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

I guess RS fucked up with STAN

Last edited by Puerto Rican 335d; 10-15-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #2305
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
All, JR at Redline Speedworx in New Jersey emailed me today to say they are no longer an Ecotune dealer. Are people dealing direct with the home office in Scotland? Thanks, James
Yes, and there are other tuning options as well....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #2306
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

There is Jarek ,RENNtech and JB4
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #2307
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

Quote:
I had an update done it was there and back within 4 business days --- great service!

Last edited by 335iPSI; 12-11-2014 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #2308
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
I also heard about this so I contacted EcoTune directly via email... I like the idea of this and they seem ready to support our community.

We are still 100% committed to providing support to our customers in the US.

Unfortunately Redline did not pay for any of the software that was provided to them therefore we are unable to continue business with them.

We are happy to provide updates to Redline’s clients on the basis that we install a cost price Spiderboot bootloader chip and a MPF (My personal flasher). This means these updates and subsequent updates can be provided free of charge and can be completed over the internet remotely.

This being the case we have invested heavily in the solution to read and write your ECU remotely.

This hardware comes in at £235GBP + return shipping.

Very cool!
Would be even cooler if the MPF was actually ready for our cars and currently capable to do so. From what I understand, it isn't. See if Ecotune has actually done a US car this way yet....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #2309
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Would be even cooler if the MPF was actually ready for our cars and currently capable to do so. From what I understand, it isn't. See if Ecotune has actually done a US car this way yet....
That'd be cool.

Last edited by 335iPSI; 12-11-2014 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #2310
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Thats cool they came to bat for you guys NOW we need to stay away from the shady guy REDLINE
Appreciate 0