E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N57 thermostat , DIY Guide

02-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

N57 thermostat , DIY Guide

Thought I would create a little DIY for the N57 thermostat. One of the easier DIYs, (certainly compared to changing springs and dampers which I did the day before).

You can let several (about 5) litres of coolant run all over the floor or try and catch most of it. I cut the top off a 5L plastic container placed it under the thermostat housing and let it run out as I slowly undid the 4 bolts. I couldnt remove the container when it was full so I then syphoned the coolant into another 5L container placed on the floor in front of the car. A towel caught the drips.

1. New thermostat and gasket (note it is NOT symmetrical)

2. Remove 3 screws to release centre air ducting.

3. Unclip and remove angled air ducting.

4. Squeeze the 2 clips and remove the electrical connector to fan.

5. Remove the only screw holding the fan assembly. On the same side note the tab and locating slot about half way down the fan assembly.

6. Below the radiator top hose. Release clip and lift out fan assembly. Note for re-installation, the two tabs on the bottom edge of the fan assembly which locate with 2 slots below the intercooler.

7.Thermostat housing. Screws are not very tight but i dont know the torque settings (anyone ?). The gasket sits in a groove in the plastic housing which also has a hole for the pin on the top of thermostat. All fairly obvious. Tighten up evenly and check for leaks. I returned most of the original clean coolant and topped up with 50% antifreeze made from the concentrated BMW antifreeze. Bleed the cooling system as for BMWs with belt driven non-eletrical water pumps.

Hope that is helpful.

Last edited by Jules59; 02-17-2014 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

This is a great DIY, thanks a lot for doing it, I'll be using it at some point as a preventative measure.

I would suggest putting the words "DIY guide" at the end of the thread title so it can be found using search engines by people in the future

Nice one

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Beware of these bolts before you get stuck, my car must have spent it's life near the sea the stat hadn't been removed before but one screw snapped.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
Richie fingers
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

Excellent and informative

After searching for ages, this is exactly what I needed so thank you so much
Appreciate 0