E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 2005 E90 320D battery replacement

09-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
converse
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D

2005 E90 320D battery replacement

Hi,

I still have the original battery in my October 2005 "55 plate" E90 320D SE. It's not showing any warning lights, but during cold weather it's sounds a bit slow to turn the engine over, but always starts, I often leave it trickle charging in the winter when it's only used a couple of times a week - never had a problem.

However given the battery is now nearly 14 years old, it'd probably be sensible to change it before another cold winter. Reading all the battery advice, for my early E90 model, can I just do a simple change myself, or does it need to be registered/programmed into the computer at when changed?

I don't have a coding app/lead myself, so if the new battery does needs to be "registered" I'll need an indy to do it - unless it's more cost effective to buy one and do it myself...

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

You will need to register the new battery with some sort of coding device with the car. If it's a one off maybe ask and independent garage how much they want, it's a 5 min process.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:53 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

well worth buying summit,,like inpa/cable or decent plug in like carly/foxwell/protool etc..especially if you continue to buy bmw cars...and with the plug and play foxwell you could sell it on when done with it,,and its nice if any other probs pop up to diagnose
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:55 AM   #4
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

there are a few thread discussing this - search and have a read about which battery and what the procedure is, plus the cost if you feel the need to have a BMW do this for you - which is quite expensive for what they do
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #5
converse
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys, reason for asking was whenever I read about it, I see conflicting info re. the early E90s (which mine is) often are stated not to have the battery monitoring and hence not require the battery "registered".

No issues replacing the battery myself, but as yet I don't have any cable/diag/software.
I just looked at the Carly system, the s/w seems to have gone subscription.
What do you recommend? (Also getting a price to register from a couple of Indys so will report back!)
[Had a gorgeous E46 before this less exciting E90, so suspect in a few years I'll have another 3-series!]
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

i paid £117 for my foxwell,,think they are around £125 now from the same seller
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:04 AM   #7
converse
Registered
Rep

Just doing some additional research, (just about to change the battery), does this model (55 plate 2005 E90 320D) actually need battery registration, is it not a model before they introduced the IBS? I can't seem to find a definitive answer...

The large connection block on the pos terminal of the battery is all black, not the large red block which later models have - if that helps ID.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

I changed mine on my 2006 car a couple of years ago and registered it with Carly.
If you post up your location I’m sure somebody will step up and register it for you if it’s required.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:21 AM   #9
converse
Registered
Rep

All done, got an Indy to register it for £15, they were adamant it needs registering, but I'm still not sure this model actually does. Deliberate obfuscation from BMW IMO.

Probably the hardest battery I've ever changed, in any car. Virtually impossible to remove the dead weight old battery from its awkwardly positioned deep boot container. Other than that pretty straight forward, if you can keep the inflexible cables out the way. If anyone needs tips in changing, this was what I did:

1. Unbolt the top bracket and side retaining bracket (mine only had one additional side bracket on the RHS).

2. Unbolt the -ve terminal (just unscrew clip and remove screw, washer and clip, then twist up terminal connection to remove, no need to force the clamp open).

3. Pop open the flap near the +ve terminal on the plastic distribution box and unbolt (once this plastic box is disconnected, you'll lose the clock time and trip mileage).

4. On my model, after disconnecting the plastic distribution box it was impossible to get it out of the way without unclipping a low voltage black cable on top of in the distribution box.

5. Then unbolt the main +ve terminal.

6. Pop out the breathing tube (grey tube with a black angle pipe in the battery, LHS [pos] side).

7. Go and find a body builder to lift the vast battery from the most awkward location known to man, keeping the inflexible cables out the way. Probably easier if you are left handed. This was by far the hardest part of the replacement process!

8. Swap over the breathing tube nozzle (if it separated from the tube) and blanking cap from old battery to new one. The blanking cap goes on the RHS (neg).

9. Carefully lower the new battery in place, ensuring you don't trap the smaller red cable near the bottom and seat it properly.

10. Plug in the breathing tube firmly.

11. Reverse the process of terminal disconnection.

Worked perfectly, starts instantly. The lowest quote I had to change the battery was £250. A new Bosch battery cost me £110 with higher capacity/CCA than the BMW original and a 5 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #10
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

took a few batteries out,and and is as they say,,a piece of piss
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:39 AM   #11
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by converse View Post
All done, got an Indy to register it for £15, they were adamant it needs registering, but I'm still not sure this model actually does. Deliberate obfuscation from BMW IMO.

Probably the hardest battery I've ever changed, in any car. Virtually impossible to remove the dead weight old battery from its awkwardly positioned deep boot container. Other than that pretty straight forward, if you can keep the inflexible cables out the way. If anyone needs tips in changing, this was what I did:

1. Unbolt the top bracket and side retaining bracket (mine only had one additional side bracket on the RHS).

2. Unbolt the -ve terminal (just unscrew clip and remove screw, washer and clip, then twist up terminal connection to remove, no need to force the clamp open).

3. Pop open the flap near the +ve terminal on the plastic distribution box and unbolt (once this plastic box is disconnected, you'll lose the clock time and trip mileage).

4. On my model, after disconnecting the plastic distribution box it was impossible to get it out of the way without unclipping a low voltage black cable on top of in the distribution box.

5. Then unbolt the main +ve terminal.

6. Pop out the breathing tube (grey tube with a black angle pipe in the battery, LHS [pos] side).

7. Go and find a body builder to lift the vast battery from the most awkward location known to man, keeping the inflexible cables out the way. Probably easier if you are left handed. This was by far the hardest part of the replacement process!

8. Swap over the breathing tube nozzle (if it separated from the tube) and blanking cap from old battery to new one. The blanking cap goes on the RHS (neg).

9. Carefully lower the new battery in place, ensuring you don't trap the smaller red cable near the bottom and seat it properly.

10. Plug in the breathing tube firmly.

11. Reverse the process of terminal disconnection.

Worked perfectly, starts instantly. The lowest quote I had to change the battery was £250. A new Bosch battery cost me £110 with higher capacity/CCA than the BMW original and a 5 year warranty.
That's a very detailed guide

My understanding was AGM battery are sensitive to charging therefore the need to register. The lead acid battery is just fit and forget until it dies.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #12
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
took a few batteries out,and and is as they say,,a piece of piss
Yep its not hard.. the hardest part was to secure the cables when dropping in the new battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:26 AM   #13
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
Yep its not hard.. the hardest part was to secure the cables when dropping in the new battery.
yeh,,they dont like to bend where you want them,,an extra pair of hands is useful,,missus will do for that job ha ha
Appreciate 0