E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Crank Seal Tool (DFW)

04-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
dchia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9806 AP2/%E2%80%9809 33

Crank Seal Tool (DFW)

Does anyone around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area have a crank seal tool for an N54 they are willing to loan/sell? Would like to go the DIY route on this job. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
kylerwinters
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Call all of the Euro shops near you. I've rented the tool from a euro shop near me. It was about 60 bucks to rent it. Or they even have the tool on eBay for about $200.
Why did your Belt break in the first place? There's no point in renting the tool if it's just going to keep breaking on you. I didn't address the root problem of why my belt was breaking so I ended up having to replace the belt three times. I could have just purchased the tool for that price.

Last edited by kylerwinters; 06-09-2018 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
dchia15.00
      06-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #3
dchia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9806 AP2/%E2%80%9809 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerwinters View Post
Call all of the Euro shops near you. I've rented the tool from a euro shop near me. It was about 60 bucks to rent it. Or they even have the tool on eBay for about $200.
Why did your Belt break in the first place? There's no point in renting the tool if it's just going to keep breaking on you. I didn't address the root problem of why my belt was breaking so I ended up having to replace the belt three times. I could have just purchased the tool for that price.
Turns out it was an oil filter housing gasket leak that my friend misdiagnosed it as a crank seal, which I had a feeling was the case. All is well and squared away. Thanks for chiming in, I'll definitely keep that in mind for future reference!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
slinkygn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchia View Post
Turns out it was an oil filter housing gasket leak that my friend misdiagnosed it as a crank seal, which I had a feeling was the case. All is well and squared away. Thanks for chiming in, I'll definitely keep that in mind for future reference!
I had an oil filter housing leak which caused the belt to break too... *and* I had to replace my crank seal, because when the belt breaks it tends to get pulled in by the spindle and ends up damaging the crank seal.

So, hope you're right and you solved it with just the OFH gasket... but if not, and you end up needing that seal tool, drop me a line.
Appreciate 0