E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Xi OEM downpipe in a RWD

04-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

Xi OEM downpipe in a RWD

EDIT: FINALLY GOT PICTURES...

Well, I can put one potential question to rest...

You can fit an Xi OEM downpipe in a RWD n55.

total length is obviously the same but the actual downpipes are shaped differently. If I knew how to i would host/upload pics and just show you. But in general, the cat-containing portion in the RWD is longer and the "Y" to the midpipes are very short. In the Xi, the cat containing portion is a good 3-4 inches shorter and the "Y" to the midpipes is 3-4 inches longer.

Also, the bracket pieces are in completely different places. Also, on the Xi, the downstream oxygen sensor is further down the downpipe by about 5 inches and therefore the stock sensor wire has to reach that much further. It reached but barely. I dont think its touching the turbo or exhaust manifold but its probably close.

Other impressions - i gutted the xi downpipe for offroad use only, of course. It was a pretty painless process involving a long spade bit on a drill and about 15 minutes. The exhaust in the car is a decent amount louder and sounds like its coming from that area more so than the rear of the car. There is also a VERY slight vibration or droning. This could be because i cut off all the bracket stuff that would normally brace it. Since no aftermarket options seem to have these brackets, i am curious if others with aftermarket DPs have this slight drone/vibration under load.

I am clearly rambling at this point but figured SOMEONE must have searched this before and now they will find this. I know i couldn't find much on it.

cheers!

Last edited by philgli; 04-13-2019 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Great post man, thanks for sharing.

Unrelated but I got a VRSF downpipe and putting that in this week. Hope it's worth the hassle!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Great post man, thanks for sharing.

Unrelated but I got a VRSF downpipe and putting that in this week. Hope it's worth the hassle!
thanks, man.

taking the stock one out sucked between its huge. But from what i hear, putting in the VRSF should be a little easier because you have more room to work. Getting the v-band around the turbo and downpipe and all lined up took about 7 tries. Should go quicker since you can probably see, i was doing it blind since the OEM one is huge lol.

2 tips - Do it with the engine completely cold and remove and note the oxygen sensor connections at the top then install on the new one and feed back up to the top. WAY easier than removing/installing them on the installed downpipe.

It will DEFINITELY be worth it if you do the corresponding tune update. I did and it rips!
      04-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgli View Post
thanks, man.

taking the stock one out sucked between its huge. But from what i hear, putting in the VRSF should be a little easier because you have more room to work. Getting the v-band around the turbo and downpipe and all lined up took about 7 tries. Should go quicker since you can probably see, i was doing it blind since the OEM one is huge lol.

2 tips - Do it with the engine completely cold and remove and note the oxygen sensor connections at the top then install on the new one and feed back up to the top. WAY easier than removing/installing them on the installed downpipe.

It will DEFINITELY be worth it if you do the corresponding tune update. I did and it rips!
Great suggestions, thanks man.

I'm hoping that I can get the OEM DP out without having to drop the subframe but we'll see. I did solid diff and subframe mounts, so this shouldn't be too bad... (famous last words).

How bad is the cold start? I had a BMW PE exhaust for 3 years but sold it because of the cold starts. Although I did have a B7 A4 with downpipe and that was fine with the stock exhaust. I'm thinking the N55 won't be too bad since the xi has secondary cats and the exhaust valve.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Great suggestions, thanks man.

I'm hoping that I can get the OEM DP out without having to drop the subframe but we'll see. I did solid diff and subframe mounts, so this shouldn't be too bad... (famous last words).

How bad is the cold start? I had a BMW PE exhaust for 3 years but sold it because of the cold starts. Although I did have a B7 A4 with downpipe and that was fine with the stock exhaust. I'm thinking the N55 won't be too bad since the xi has secondary cats and the exhaust valve.
the cold start is so loud its laughable. I already had the PE mod which was loud. When i added the downpipe, it was ridiculous. I immediately reflashed with the cold start delete. The first few times, the RPMs stumble but a few days later it is totally fine. Cold start delete saved me from pissed off neighbors, i am sure.
      04-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep

EDIT: added pictures...