E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Best intercooler for 335is

06-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #23
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoasis View Post
I actually purchased a little under 2k of mods from you yesterday lol.
Thank you for your support

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:16 AM   #24
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Pretty pleased with my VRSF 7". Posted some videos of some pulls after my PTF tune
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #25
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoasis View Post
Hi all,
I'm having a tough time deciding between a Helix 5" stepped fmic vs the VRSF 7". What would perform best for a 335is that will eventually get upgraded twins?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1135675

enjoy!!
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #26
WhoLV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I have AMS and recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #27
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoLV View Post
I have AMS and recommend it!
AMS is probably our number one seller followed by ER!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #28
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
How come nobody ever discusses core density, pressure losses, end tank designs, ETC. Only thing I've seen true so far (in this thread) is the majority will be better then stock but there are plenty of differences between intercoolers.
Great points! As noted, typically any bar-and-plate design is going to provide benefits over the stock unit. The purchasing decision really comes down to the goals of your vehicle, your budget, and your personal preference.

We covered the design process of our intercoolers within a tech article recently posted on our blog, this is linked below.

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/201...ler-selection/

Be sure to use the table of contents to sift through, it is quite a lengthy read from start to finish.

We tested several fin/bar configurations for our E90 intercooler to ensure we ended up with a design which provided efficient heat transfer without making a significant impact on pressure loss.

Our cooler is rated to right around 500-550 whp. Anything above this and a larger surface area is recommended for optimal heat exchange.

As we noted above, much of the intercooler decision comes down to vehicle goals/plans.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions about our cooler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrychiu012 View Post
335is and 335i are the same engine platform, so there is no difference when deciding which intercooler to get.
There are a lot of post discussed about brand of intercooler. But in short, 7 inch will have more surface area and less prone to be heat soaked. It all depends on where you live, what mods you have, and what you want to accomplished eventually.

I see that you live in Texas, so 7 inch might not be a bad idea. Any aftermarket intercooler from ER, Mishimoto, VRSF, Helix, HPF, CPE, Cobb, Dinan... will be a vast improvement over stock. There are discussion on other post that if you are not running high boost 20psi, you don't necessary need 7 inch; as 5 inch will be sufficent, and generate faster airflow exit from the intercooler. If you plan on running 450whp eventually, you will probably want to get the 7inch. If you just want to add a few mods to be FBO, than 5 is more than sufficient and provide much better IAT.

Other factors to consider is if you are getting a 7 inch, most likely you will have to do some trimming. 5 inch from VRSF, HPF, HELIX are direct fit behind the bumper and no trimming required. Some intercooler uses stock tubing, some require you to get a J pipe.. do a little more research before you purchase one.

Helix and HPF are probably the most popular 5 inch out there. VRSF is always improving their product, customer service is excellent, both 5 and 7 are excellent product. you just don't get the big brand name like the other ones.. but all are quality intercooler.
Nice points here! As you noted, a 5" core will certainly have a limit so you must evaluate your plans and make a decision based on future modifications. Heat soak is a quick road to an unhappy driving experience so an intercooler upgrade is going to be an ideal supporting modification for the E9X.

Thanks
-John
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #29
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamy View Post
Sry the downpipe was horrible
A reputable shop couldn't even get it to work.
I find "reputations" of shops pretty trivial. I've had my cars worked on at "reputable" shops and I was completely dissatisfied with the workmanship.

We've had several shops contact us regarding installations of intercoolers and downpipes and the consensus was and still was, bad installation.

With regards to downpipes, they can only be installed 1 way and by that I mean if you have the rotation slightly off on the v band flange they won't fit, especially on the Xi downpipes. Since we've sold 100's of downpipes without a hitch I'm going to stand firm on the shop doesn't know what they are doing.

I myself installed a few sets of downpipes and initially I thought they didn't fit but after standing back and working on the rotations of the pipes they did indeed fit just fine.

As far as reputation and "reputable" shops that is a laughable excuse to believe that makes them perfect.
I even had one of the biggest shops (most reputable and always recommended) on the east coast work on my corvette and they forgot to put back 1 of the 4 sub frame bolts. Yea, the bolts that hold up the engine and suspension.

The work is only as good as the individual working on the car and how well they are working that day. Everyone makes mistakes, every company has a bad batch, even the "Best" and most "reputable".

You seem to have some ulterior motive and agenda against VRSF, it's pretty obvious.

We sell a lot of their products and many other competing products too so I'm not just defending them cause it's the only thing I sell. I even had their products on my personal car.

If VRSF stuff was problematic, I can assure you I would stop selling them.

I've stopped selling products for less of a reason, believe me. I don't like problems and I don't like emails of problems with products. More then 1 or 2 times of the same issue on a product and i'll stop selling it next day.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #30
Infamy
underground
Rep
Drives: alpine white 335 E92

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamy View Post
Sry the downpipe was horrible
A reputable shop couldn't even get it to work.
I find "reputations" of shops pretty trivial. I've had my cars worked on at "reputable" shops and I was completely dissatisfied with the workmanship.

We've had several shops contact us regarding installations of intercoolers and downpipes and the consensus was and still was, bad installation.

With regards to downpipes, they can only be installed 1 way and by that I mean if you have the rotation slightly off on the v band flange they won't fit, especially on the Xi downpipes. Since we've sold 100's of downpipes without a hitch I'm going to stand firm on the shop doesn't know what they are doing.

I myself installed a few sets of downpipes and initially I thought they didn't fit but after standing back and working on the rotations of the pipes they did indeed fit just fine.

As far as reputation and "reputable" shops that is a laughable excuse to believe that makes them perfect.
I even had one of the biggest shops (most reputable and always recommended) on the east coast work on my corvette and they forgot to put back 1 of the 4 sub frame bolts. Yea, the bolts that hold up the engine and suspension.

The work is only as good as the individual working on the car and how well they are working that day. Everyone makes mistakes, every company has a bad batch, even the "Best" and most "reputable".

You seem to have some ulterior motive and agenda against VRSF, it's pretty obvious.

We sell a lot of their products and many other competing products too so I'm not just defending them cause it's the only thing I sell. I even had their products on my personal car.

If VRSF stuff was problematic, I can assure you I would stop selling them.

I've stopped selling products for less of a reason, believe me. I don't like problems and I don't like emails of problems with products. More then 1 or 2 times of the same issue on a product and i'll stop selling it next day.
lol
      06-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #31
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Anybody have experience with the ARM 7 inch intercooler? In cant seem to any feedback accept for the reviews on the website. Im running fbo 22 psi stock turbos with Mishimito intercooler which does well most of the time. But i want something with better flow and cooling above 5k rpms. Its for a 335i e90.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #32
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Anybody have experience with the ARM 7 inch intercooler? In cant seem to any feedback accept for the reviews on the website. Im running fbo 22 psi stock turbos with Mishimito intercooler which does well most of the time. But i want something with better flow and cooling above 5k rpms. Its for a 335i e90.
Its a low quality intercooler with below average core density. Invest in a high fin density intercooler for best results

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #33
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Its a low quality intercooler with below average core density. Invest in a high fin density intercooler for best results
Good to know.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #34
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
If you do a search "Andrew Sofiakis" you'll understand the quality of character you're supporting. He's the owner of ARM and created the brand after defrauding dozens of customers on this forum by selling them counterfeit Tial and VRSF products.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:16 AM   #35
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Very insightful for someone with only 4 posts. Definitely credible
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #36
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistique View Post
This is a sponsored forum so you will generally only be reccomended a few options. There are however more and better options available but you will have to ask around on other forums also.
All Tiago does is talk bad about any other company/products that isn't in the e90post forum sponsors cult. Why anyone would by anything from VRSF after multiple ridiculous and defaming reply's like the one above, is above me.

Either way; this is a topic from 2015. Why did you kick it up. Do some more research. You would have found this topic;
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267986
Glad I didn't buy it. It makes sense now why no one is talking about it. I called ARM yesterday. They said the 7 inch is fairly new about 2 years old. With the sale they have right now, you can get the fmic for under $320. Nothing like spending hard earned money on a product that doesn't meet your need. I already knew the 5 inch didnt cool well based on 1 review. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #37
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
22psi is high for stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #38
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistique View Post
This is a sponsored forum so you will generally only be reccomended a few options. There are however more and better options available but you will have to ask around on other forums also.
All Tiago does is talk bad about any other company/products that isn't in the e90post forum sponsors cult. Why anyone would by anything from VRSF after multiple ridiculous and defaming reply's like the one above, is above me.

Either way; this is a topic from 2015. Why did you kick it up. Do some more research. You would have found this topic;
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267986
We make it a point to not bash established shops but we're obligated to point out the fact that you're promoting a brand who stole from members of this forum.

We do our best to provide high quality, cost effective options for the community but ultimately the market decides. People tend to stick with reputable brands who stand by their products

There's a reason the highest HP N54 and the fastest 1/4 mile N54 are running VRSF. We make an effort to offer the highest quality parts without skimping on performance and our engineers dedicate a lot of their time to developing new parts rather than reselling discontinued Wagner knock offs

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 06-22-2019 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #39
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
22psi is high for stock turbos.
I know. But its in the low to mid rpms. Had turbos a couple years no problems vr balanced probably helps. Loving every moment of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We make it a point to not bash established shops but we're obligated to point out the fact that you're promoting a brand who stole from members of this forum.

We do our best to provide high quality, cost effective options for the community but ultimately the market decides. People tend to stick with reputable brands who stand by their products

There's a reason the highest HP N54 and the fastest 1/4 mile N54 are running VRSF. We make an effort to offer the highest quality parts without skimping on performance and our engineers dedicate a lot of their time to developing new parts rather than reselling discontinued Wagner knock offs
Thanks Tiago. Ill probably look at vrsf. Just wish there were more dyno charts out there. When I bolted the Mishimito on, there's was instant power through out the rev range. I couldn't believe it. No lag. Just more power. I may take the leap and get your 7 inch hd. I don't look forward to any lag, pressure drop or loss of power lower rpm. I hear most people gain power after 4k rpm. I dont track so i wont see triple digits very often.

Anyone can chime on their experience with the 7 inch hd or others.

How much does it weigh compared to the reg 7 inch?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #41
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Doug @ Frankenturbo posted logs and dynos of his experience when switching from the OEM FMIC to our largest 7.5" Race FMIC. There was zero increase in lag or transient response time after the swap and he ended up gaining over 20-30whp due to the cooler intake temps.

The issue with knock off intercoolers like the ebay/arm is you're limited to the ID of the factory inlets which are not only restrictive but also prone to leaking. As I mentioned previously, we discontinued our OEM connector intercooler almost 7 years ago simply due to the fact that the connection isn't designed to support a tuned N54 that's pushing double the intended boost.
Appreciate 1
Rule1977194.50
      06-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #42
dublin14
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i- F150 FX4- Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
because no one knows of these things. They just think the biggest one that fits is the best.
Thats what she said
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #43
dekelley1
Rep
Drives: 335IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
Not much difference from the 335i and the 335is on inter coolers.. The car isn't that special lol. It's like asking which intakes are better for my 335xi vs the 335i?
Hater alert! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #44
erttuli
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego 335i

Nice necro dude. Yea and they are pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0