E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Brokedown. Bunch of errors all at once.

06-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
1nVasiv3
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Brokedown. Bunch of errors all at once.

Bear with me.

Drove my car in without an issue and got to work. as I was pulling into the parking lot a bunch of errors went off all at once.

Trans Mal
DBC mal
DSC mal
Check battery terminal
Windsheild wipers started going (didnt touch the controls)
Windows wont work
AC stops
LCD screen turned off

I also think the rad fan and the electric waterpump stopped but I can't confirm.

If I shut off the car, I can start it and everything seems to be fine. But if I then put it into gear and start driving normal all these things happen again.

I called a tow truck and was able to drive the car onto the tow truck without anything happening.

I was able to offload from the tow truck and barely give it gas to get it into my drive way.

My thought is the alternator is dying? because when it spins faster its not able to supply the right voltage or power needed for all the electrical system?

When this error happens the transmission will hang in whatever gear it is in and will not shift up but it will go down.

HELP!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
How old is your battery?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
1nVasiv3
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
How old is your battery?
I'm not sure its been in the car since I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

There may be a date on the battery, if it's over 5 years old it may be past it. These cars do not do well on low voltage/old batteries.

You should have 14.2+ volts at idle.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nVasiv3 View Post
Bear with me.

Drove my car in without an issue and got to work. as I was pulling into the parking lot a bunch of errors went off all at once.

Trans Mal
DBC mal
DSC mal
Check battery terminal
Windsheild wipers started going (didnt touch the controls)
Windows wont work
AC stops
LCD screen turned off

I also think the rad fan and the electric waterpump stopped but I can't confirm.

If I shut off the car, I can start it and everything seems to be fine. But if I then put it into gear and start driving normal all these things happen again.

I called a tow truck and was able to drive the car onto the tow truck without anything happening.

I was able to offload from the tow truck and barely give it gas to get it into my drive way.

My thought is the alternator is dying? because when it spins faster its not able to supply the right voltage or power needed for all the electrical system?

When this error happens the transmission will hang in whatever gear it is in and will not shift up but it will go down.

HELP!
I had something similar. I threw all kinds of parts at it. I will tell you the very very very first thing to do is check your fuses and battery connections. I replaced my battery twice. Replaced throttle body. Water pump. Had the windshield wipers going by themselves etc. Nothing fixed my issue. I finally brought it to a shop. It was a god damned fuse in the glove box. Good luck.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Definitely Battery. Had this happen on my Range Rover and recently on the E63S when it went in for tints and I think they left it on all day playing music. New battery and a little time for it to reset stuff. Drive around for 30min to an hour and all is well again. Stupid Range Rover was stuck in Park and manual override didnt work and had to be towed to dealer. Had to be dragged up the flatbed as all wheels were locked too. Dealer had to reset it. So its not only BMW that goes nuts.
      06-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #7
Brucey335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 79’ 528i | 03’ 325i| 07’ 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Definitely Battery. Had this happen on my Range Rover and recently on the E63S when it went in for tints and I think they left it on all day playing music. New battery and a little time for it to reset stuff. Drive around for 30min to an hour and all is well again. Stupid Range Rover was stuck in Park and manual override didnt work and had to be towed to dealer. Had to be dragged up the flatbed as all wheels were locked too. Dealer had to reset it. So its not only BMW that goes nuts.
Check you're terminals before your replace the battery. A loose terminal will cause all kinds of issues aswell. Lights dimming along with radio and other things not getting the proper voltage
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

i had a similar thing happen twice in a month... gear light, water pump off, temp light traction.. every single light was on

it was the alternator, specifically the voltage regulator. Measure the voltage output when you give it some gas, if its at 16V+ like mine was its def. the alternator .
Appreciate 0