E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake Pedal Soft - Master Cylinder Replacement?

05-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
M980
Rep
Drives: BMW

Brake Pedal Soft - Master Cylinder Replacement?

Hello All, having an issue with a softer brake pedal. It has been like that for a while now. Once the car starts with your foot on the brake, the pedal sinks a couple of inches and is soft. Driving the car, the brakes work fine, they stop well and if you hit them hard the car stops really quick but all with an inch or two of travel before the brakes engage. I want to get a firm pedal back though.

I have bleed the brakes twice now and still have the squishy feel. There are no visible leaks so I am coming to the conclusion that it must be the master cylinder. Is there any DIY for the correct process to replace the master cylinder. I have been searching the forms and cannot seem to find one. Any ideas? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
M980
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
mikesunboxing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320d a35

i could use a decent DIY on this.

Did you do yours?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
usually just air in the brake lines
I had to bleed mine about 6 or 7 times on one fluid change
There is a DIY on how to do the fluid change and use the ABS to prime the lines
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
mikesunboxing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320d a35

Thanks Socket. I had a look on here and couldn't find the DIY?

Can anyone forward we the link or page please?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M980 View Post
Hello All, having an issue with a softer brake pedal. It has been like that for a while now. Once the car starts with your foot on the brake, the pedal sinks a couple of inches and is soft. Driving the car, the brakes work fine, they stop well and if you hit them hard the car stops really quick but all with an inch or two of travel before the brakes engage. I want to get a firm pedal back though.

I have bleed the brakes twice now and still have the squishy feel. There are no visible leaks so I am coming to the conclusion that it must be the master cylinder. Is there any DIY for the correct process to replace the master cylinder. I have been searching the forms and cannot seem to find one. Any ideas? Thanks.
I had the same issues which was not solved by a proper bleeding procedure (activating the ABS and everything) so I thought it must of been the master cylinder. Have about $1k for parts and labour it solved absolutely nothing. I tried a few other E90 pedals of people I know and found it to be common. I decided to leave it as it still feels fine when driving. I was told that there was an O-ring that could potentially bleed air from the vacuum assist that could cause this but never got around to checking it properly. See this thread a while back, post 8 & 9 specifically:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421826

I also posted a video of what I was experiencing which sounds exactly what you have. As I said a whole new master cylinder didn't fix this.
Appreciate 0