E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Vibrating under acceleration when AWD

10-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
N55lif3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i n55

Vibrating under acceleration when AWD

Hello everyone. I recently got a new rear differential as my last one went out as the last owner did not take care of a diff fluid leak. I also got new tires and rims a month ago.

A week after getting my new wheels/tires, I used xDelete just for the "sports car" experience of RWD for the last courses of summer.

However, when I switched it back to xDrive a week ago, I was getting a vibration/shaking under acceleration or even simply maintaining highway speeds.

I turned it back to RWD and gone. No more vibration or shaking. Car running perfect. As soon as I put it back on xDrive, the vibration occurs again.

The vibration only occurs when throttle is applied.

I ruled out ignition issues because they would be happening even if my car was RWD.. right?

Help me out.. weathers getting bad out here.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55rei View Post
Hello everyone. I recently got a new rear differential as my last one went out as the last owner did not take care of a diff fluid leak. I also got new tires and rims a month ago.

A week after getting my new wheels/tires, I used xDelete just for the "sports car" experience of RWD for the last courses of summer.

However, when I switched it back to xDrive a week ago, I was getting a vibration/shaking under acceleration or even simply maintaining highway speeds.

I turned it back to RWD and gone. No more vibration or shaking. Car running perfect. As soon as I put it back on xDrive, the vibration occurs again.

I ruled out ignition issues because they would be happening even if my car was RWD.. right?

Put your old wheels back on and see if it goes away ....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_Crazy View Post
x delete doesnt make you drive on two wheels lol, it DRIVES two wheels. .. he says it happens under accel. So wheels are out of the question.

Last edited by Pladi; 10-06-2019 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I would replace the transfer case fluid.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:

Check your front drive shaft u-joints for red dust or any play:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321930
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
N55lif3
Rep

Going to replace transfer case fluid (tranny since im there) and keep an eye out for any play around the shaft.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #7
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
x delete doesnt make you drive on two wheels lol, it DRIVES two wheels. .. he says it happens under accel. So wheels are out of the question.
Your a funny guy drive on 2 wheels really? What I said was just in case there was a wheel issue
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      10-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Your a funny guy drive on 2 wheels really? What I said was just in case there was a wheel issue
i hear you but wheel issues generally would not get worse by accelerating. That symptom to me is telling us alot. Wheel issues are vibrations that stay there regardless of whether you accelerate or not. Thats my way of thinking anyways.

i also think he said he replaced wheels lol. I dont know who is more funny you or me
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Going to replace transfer case fluid (tranny since im there) and keep an eye out for any play around the shaft.

Thanks
Form transmission i hope you researched it but you have to fill at 35 degrees oil temp. You need to use either MHD or ISTA to do the change. If your gonna do it yourself because u need to monitor transmission temp.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Form transmission i hope you researched it but you have to fill at 35 degrees oil temp. You need to use either MHD or ISTA to do the change. If your gonna do it yourself because u need to monitor transmission temp.
So... the transfer case and the transmission are not the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
So... the transfer case and the transmission are not the same thing.
NOPE lol

transfer case is a unit with a clutch that decides where to send the power to rear or front wheels. Its almost like a second mini manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      10-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Codes?

Check the various bearings & guibo joint in the drive axel.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Check the inner axle drivers. If the front axles are the same left and right, you can just switch them.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #14
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i hear you but wheel issues generally would not get worse by accelerating. That symptom to me is telling us alot. Wheel issues are vibrations that stay there regardless of whether you accelerate or not. Thats my way of thinking anyways.

i also think he said he replaced wheels lol. I dont know who is more funny you or me
I had a similar issue when I bought NEW wheels one of the front rims had a issue so when I went over 30 or 40 something like that my car would shake genius or mr lol... I'm here to try and help out if I remember that's what the forum is about ...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #15
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I had a similar issue when I bought NEW wheels one of the front rims had a issue so when I went over 30 or 40 something like that my car would shake genius or mr lol... I'm here to try and help out if I remember that's what the forum is about ...
yeah but i like to stay clear of rabbit holes. But dont worry because if you post tomorrow and have issues ill be the first to try and help you. We just have to stay as constructive as possible. The wheels are usually a number one suspect over specific speeds esp but when he says it happens during acccel thats when you start looking at another possible cause.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I'm not super familiar with the drive train of the x-drive E9x's but when I did my rear diff swap I installed the center drive shaft support bearing assembly upside down. It would bolt up and look correct but when you applied power I would get an odd vibration resonating through the whole car. Once I realized the problem, I flipped the bearing support the correct way and that fixed the problem.

I realize you have no issues when in RWD only, so in theory that would mean my suggestion wouldn't apply but worth checking as it is a SUPER easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
N55lif3
Rep

I have no codes.

One thing I have noticed is fuel consumption increasing as the vibrations get more intense. Even though id be lightly tapping the gas, the vibrations would cause the consumption to be high (im always looking at my real-time consumption on my dash).

This is making me steer away from thinking its any axle/bearings. The behaviour is also very inconsistent. It will vibrate alot one drive and then smoothen out just the next.

Tommorow ill be swapping out the transfer case fluid.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #18
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yeah but i like to stay clear of rabbit holes. But dont worry because if you post tomorrow and have issues ill be the first to try and help you. We just have to stay as constructive as possible. The wheels are usually a number one suspect over specific speeds esp but when he says it happens during acccel thats when you start looking at another possible cause.
Did I read the ops whole post no because I was in the middle of something....Should I of read the whole thing yea and I then would of probably said check the guibo or what ever... The thing here is you lol at people trying to help like the relative4 who didn't know the difference between a transmission and transfer case that's all
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #19
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Actually, dildo, I was making fun of Pladi for prattling on about the tranny when the OP was talking about his transfer case.
Then I decided to shut my trap cause I noticed the OP had made a little aside about the tranny.
Now I gotta chime back in cause, well, you're a dildo.
Right, wrong, whatever, you're a dildo.
And illiterate to boot.
Would HAVE, not would "OF". Seriously? Did you not finish fifth grade?
And it's a giubo, not a "guibo". Dildo.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Actually, dildo, I was making fun of Pladi for prattling on about the tranny when the OP was talking about his transfer case.
Then I decided to shut my trap cause I noticed the OP had made a little aside about the tranny.
Now I gotta chime back in cause, well, you're a dildo.
Right, wrong, whatever, you're a dildo.
And illiterate to boot.
Would HAVE, not would "OF". Seriously? Did you not finish fifth grade?
And it's a giubo, not a "guibo". Dildo.
lol thats pretty funny
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #21
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

What are the sizes of your new wheels/tires?

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #22
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

This has already been stated but since this thread is now so unnecessarily cluttered, perhaps it bears repeating

Because your problems go away when xDelete causes the transfer case clutch to disengage, your problems do not involve the transmission itself, the unfortunately named giubo or any part of the rear drive system, or the wheels, or the tires.

Your problem is in the transfer case, the front driveshaft, the front differential or the front axles. Of those, the axles are by far the most common source of the problem. Often, they will look fine and even when removed display only subtle signs of defects.

It does make sense to replace the transfer case and front differential fluids (or at least check to see if there are any fluids!) because that is cheap and easy. If that solves the problem, treat yourself to a cigar. I doubt it will help but if it doesn't you'll know what to do next
Appreciate 1
relative4611.00