E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Lap Time Differences / Stock vs Coilovers

11-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #67
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Decent track performance would probably want more than negative 2 in camber up front.

Correct. We set out GT3s up with -2.2 all around usually, 3/16" toe in at the rear and 1/8" toe out in the front. Lap times change significantly for the better over the stock setup, and with Hoosiers the car will break away very evenly. Tire Pressures usually like to be run at 37psi hot (although it depends on driver feel) and usually with a few good sessions the tires get up to about 160-170 degrees.

I wonder how much you can squeeze out of an E9X?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #68
j28s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i - 6mt - Sedan

I took my car to the track (road course, not drag strip). I will say that with the stock suspension (sport package), I was pleasantly surprised. I think the stock shocks are good, but the car could get stiffer springs which would help significantly. I really think the tires are the down fall for the car. I found a guy that was willing to let me borrow his tires (330i sport package) and he had Non-RFTs (BFG g-force). I cut a second off my laptime with those tires alone (consistent for 4 laps). When I get the new suspension, I'll compare times to see how much difference it is between OEM and coilovers. The car does have a tendency to dive (weight transfer from rear to front) and result it smoking the inside tire. I started earlier in the turn (early apexing a late apex turn) and the car was more settled and able to put more power down, thus bettering my lap time. The car DOES NOT like hitting berms. I drove with the DCS on and the light stayed on for a few seconds when I hit the berms (no wheel spin), and I ended up having to turn everything off. I think the high speed dampening of the shocks are softer than the low speed dampening. I could feel the low speed dampening rebound adjust better/faster for powering out than the high speed which took longer which result in over steering. Fun car, even at 3600 lbs...

Racing is an addiction that can only be cured by poverty.
Background: SCCA and NASA PRO Racing
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #69
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j28s View Post
I took my car to the track (road course, not drag strip). I will say that with the stock suspension (sport package), I was pleasantly surprised. I think the stock shocks are good, but the car could get stiffer springs which would help significantly. I really think the tires are the down fall for the car. I found a guy that was willing to let me borrow his tires (330i sport package) and he had Non-RFTs (BFG g-force). I cut a second off my laptime with those tires alone (consistent for 4 laps). When I get the new suspension, I'll compare times to see how much difference it is between OEM and coilovers. The car does have a tendency to dive (weight transfer from rear to front) and result it smoking the inside tire. I started earlier in the turn (early apexing a late apex turn) and the car was more settled and able to put more power down, thus bettering my lap time. The car DOES NOT like hitting berms. I drove with the DCS on and the light stayed on for a few seconds when I hit the berms (no wheel spin), and I ended up having to turn everything off. I think the high speed dampening of the shocks are softer than the low speed dampening. I could feel the low speed dampening rebound adjust better/faster for powering out than the high speed which took longer which result in over steering. Fun car, even at 3600 lbs...
Yeah..but didnt it push like a bee-otch for you..it did for me in total stock form...maybe I was trying too hard to hang with my stage 3 Audi S4 friends...I was at the Reno/Fernley track. I ruined my front RFT that weekend.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #70
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

OH YEAH. When I pushed the car and drove the track like I was on a qualifying lap in my racecar, it pushed pretty bad (especially on the late apex turns). I started re-adapting my style for the car braking more and early apexing, getting on the power earlier and it did much better. The torque REALLY helps this car out A LOT. I can see the coilovers will help a lot in the high speed turns and low/mid speed late apex turns. The brakes started some noise, so I'll be taking the wheels off to see how grooved the rotors are and how bad the brake pads are within the next couple of days. Toward the end of the day, I drove the car about as hard as I could do get a few could lap times, and came into the pits to wait for some more room on the track. The front brakes were smoking pretty good. Granted this track was a high speed track so they can cool off pretty quick. I'll be at a different track next weekend (much tighter and lower speed). I hope to take the 335 so I can get some more comparisons, but not sure if there will be room. The car has some weird caster. The front right inside tire was wearing pretty strange. I'll be going to non-RFTs for the next set of tires...probably BFGs. Fun car and with some DOT Comp tires, good alignment, good suspension and a car diet...the car would be a heep more FUN.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #71
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah..mine has been on a diet...

Stock exhaust gone...- Utimate racing replaced it - saved 30 lbs?
Stock wheels gone - saved 40 lbs?
Stock brakes gone - saved 15-20 lbs?
Stock RFT tires gone - went with Goodyear F1-D3s - saved 4-5 lbs?

And the best one..I dont take passengers any more.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #72
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

S4to335: do you instruct? if so, how do you get out of keeping the passenger seat empty? You have to admit, novice drivers are fun. You get them in the car and show them why the shouldn't do this and that and watch them hit that imaginary brake pedal. I thought one guy was going to put a hole through the floorboard one time when it was raining. Another guy...after the second lap said he needed to go back to the pits...I think he may have went #1 (I was showing him how to regain control of the car when the rear end can gets loose going up some uphill esse's at 130mph since he was Mr. Expert Driver and said it couldn't be done with all of his one driving day experience). He wouldn't even get back in the car with me driving all weekend.

Sure there isn't some special trick/tool to remove about 500 lbs from the car? I'd buy it!

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #73
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah..I have instructed for the Audi club since Jan 1998...with NASA...BMW Club, Subaru Club, Miata Club, Donutz Racing, Tracquest/Northern California Racing Club, and probably a few more. They tend to frown on you when you white knuckle the students. I have gotten my fair share to the brink of throwing up..no one has in the car though..whew. I got out of having a passenger in my Spec Miata since I didnt have a passenger seat. Yes, I end up with people in their now...that I am using my street car again...Ugh.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #74
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
OH YEAH. When I pushed the car and drove the track like I was on a qualifying lap in my racecar, it pushed pretty bad (especially on the late apex turns). I started re-adapting my style for the car braking more and early apexing, getting on the power earlier and it did much better. The torque REALLY helps this car out A LOT. I can see the coilovers will help a lot in the high speed turns and low/mid speed late apex turns. The brakes started some noise, so I'll be taking the wheels off to see how grooved the rotors are and how bad the brake pads are within the next couple of days. Toward the end of the day, I drove the car about as hard as I could do get a few could lap times, and came into the pits to wait for some more room on the track. The front brakes were smoking pretty good. Granted this track was a high speed track so they can cool off pretty quick. I'll be at a different track next weekend (much tighter and lower speed). I hope to take the 335 so I can get some more comparisons, but not sure if there will be room. The car has some weird caster. The front right inside tire was wearing pretty strange. I'll be going to non-RFTs for the next set of tires...probably BFGs. Fun car and with some DOT Comp tires, good alignment, good suspension and a car diet...the car would be a heep more FUN.
Which track were you at?
      11-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #75
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

VIR

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #76
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Quote:
Yeah..mine has been on a diet...

Stock exhaust gone...- Utimate racing replaced it - saved 30 lbs?
Stock wheels gone - saved 40 lbs?
Stock brakes gone - saved 15-20 lbs?
Stock RFT tires gone - went with Goodyear F1-D3s - saved 4-5 lbs?

And the best one..I dont take passengers any more.
How much weight savings with the coilovers?
      11-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #77
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
that one is harder to tell...maybe nothing at all.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #78
Ireland
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw 330i

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
coilovers make a difference but its all about the driver
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #79
elbert
digging for gold
Rep
Drives: Ford Tempo GL

Quote:
VIR
when were you there?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #80
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Speaking of VIR, I was there last Monday with Trackdaze...

Stock: 2:29
Current setup: 2:23

My car barely understeers anymore...that might be because of the -4.6 degrees of camber in the front though.

I got owned by James Clay in his friend/student's E36 M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #81
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post

My car barely understeers anymore...that might be because of the -4.6 degrees of camber in the front though.
Heh what camber plates are you using?
      11-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #82
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
Heh what camber plates are you using?
TC Kline. I heard you can get up to -4.8 or so without shimming them. Iunno, what the exact measurement is, I just know it's set on the maximum camber setting. Next time I get an alignment I'll put up the specs.

I know that I'm running some toe out in the front too, not sure how much though.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #83
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post
Speaking of VIR, I was there last Monday with Trackdaze...

Stock: 2:29
Current setup: 2:23

I got owned by James Clay in his friend/student's E36 M3.
I have been on track with several fast guys...Johannes van Overbeek, Navid Kahangi, and Paul Lambert....just to name a few.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #84
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have been on track with several fast guys...Johannes van Overbeek, Navid Kahangi, and Paul Lambert....just to name a few.
I want to do a HPDE with Hans Stuck.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #85
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

elbert - last time was mid-oct and prior to that late sept, then again the beginning of Nov. will be at cmp this weekend in race car and instructing.
shimshim - 2:23...with some more seat time you'll be able to get it down to 2:19 easy in stock form. With some koni shocks and DOT Comp tires, easy 2:16 or better. My best two times at VIR full is 1:55 in a GT1 Viper, and 1:57 in a FM, and a 2:10 in my race car...335i in stock form...let me know if you want to know.
here on the east coast we sometimes have some SCCA WC guys instruct, but not a lot and it's primarily at VIR. On private test days at VIR I've seen a plethora of NASCAR guys when they are getting ready for a road race the following weekend (usually before the go to California or Watkins). Nice guys and they always have awesome food for lunch.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #86
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
elbert - last time was mid-oct and prior to that late sept, then again the beginning of Nov. will be at cmp this weekend in race car and instructing.
shimshim - 2:23...with some more seat time you'll be able to get it down to 2:19 easy in stock form. With some koni shocks and DOT Comp tires, easy 2:16 or better. My best two times at VIR full is 1:55 in a GT1 Viper, and 1:57 in a FM, and a 2:10 in my race car...335i in stock form...let me know if you want to know.
here on the east coast we sometimes have some SCCA WC guys instruct, but not a lot and it's primarily at VIR. On private test days at VIR I've seen a plethora of NASCAR guys when they are getting ready for a road race the following weekend (usually before the go to California or Watkins). Nice guys and they always have awesome food for lunch.
2:19 in a stock 330i?! I can see 4-5 seconds improvement with a more experienced driver, 10 seems a little impossible though. I'm shooting for under 2:20 next time I'm there.

My current setup consists of TCK Coilovers (Koni single adjustable shocks with VVS springs; 550F/600R) and Bridgestone RE-01R 245/40/17 all around.

j28s, what's your name btw?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #87
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

My bad...I was thinking you were in a 335. For a 330, in total stock form a 2:25, with shocks and comp tires a 2:20 is fairly achievable. I was running pretty consistent upper 2:19's (335 and stock). I'm shooting for a 2:15 with shocks and tires this spring.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #88
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My bad...I was thinking you were in a 335. For a 330, in total stock form a 2:25, with shocks and comp tires a 2:20 is fairly achievable. I was running pretty consistent upper 2:19's (335 and stock). I'm shooting for a 2:15 with shocks and tires this spring.
You scared me for a moment there...if someone got 2:19 in my stock car, I would cry.

Do you ever run with TrackDaze? I'll be at VIR next March. I'm assuming you're either an instructor or in advanced? If you're not an instructor, maybe we can play in a session? But only if you're running complete stock!

www.trackdaze.com
Appreciate 0