E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Oil consumption on track

04-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oil consumption on track

Do any of you find that you have to add oil after trackdays?

My car behaves very strange. At the actual track the level always shows that it is fine - between half and full. Later on after the event, it will tell me that it is at minimum level.

For example, I will finish a track day and check the oil - it is fine. Immediately drive 3 hours home - when I turn off the car after arriving home, it will warn me that oil is at minimum.

This seems to happen to me after every track day, but I never have to add oil on the street. Car has 50k miles of hard driving and about 15 track days on it. I am running Rotella T6 fwiw..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

I never noticed any change in oil level on mine.

Check if there is gasket leak to start with (VCG, OFHG, oil pan, oil lines to oil cooler, etc.). Burning through a whole quart in one day is a little much, but not unheard of though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Do any of you find that you have to add oil after trackdays?

My car behaves very strange. At the actual track the level always shows that it is fine - between half and full. Later on after the event, it will tell me that it is at minimum level.

For example, I will finish a track day and check the oil - it is fine. Immediately drive 3 hours home - when I turn off the car after arriving home, it will warn me that oil is at minimum.

This seems to happen to me after every track day, but I never have to add oil on the street. Car has 50k miles of hard driving and about 15 track days on it. I am running Rotella T6 fwiw..
I haven't noticed any oil consumption. I got a fresh change before my event this weekend, and a few days after the event it still shows the oil level is at the max bar. I was up in the 5-6-7k rpm the entire 2 mile track too, even feathering the redline for certain stretches.
Appreciate 0