E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Toe and Cam bolt question. Help!?!?

07-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Evilchef71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Toe and Cam bolt question. Help!?!?

So after months of driving on crappy worn out tires and stock 18” 193 rims with bends and scrapes, I finally bit the bullet and got a set of VMR v710’s and Pilot Super Sports
I bring my car in to get it aligned and I get a phone call from the shop that they can’t do it. When I got there the guy tells me that I need front tie rods- they are frozen in place and they couldn’t get them to budge and rear cam bolts for the same reason. So here’s my question- what are rear cam bolts? I figured they were the rear eccentric camber bolts so I ordered tie rods and “rear eccentric camber bolts”. I called the guy this morning and told him I ordered the parts and now he says they are toe bolts!?! So I’ve got these eccentric camber bolts which may or may not be what he needs, are there toe bolts and if so what are the part #? I haven’t been able to find “toe bolt” and I am going completely insane looking at my car with new wheels and tires sitting in the driveway. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh- and sorry about the noob questions but I’m not really up to speed with suspension parts, do I need the nuts (or are there nuts) for these bolts?

Thanks everybody!
      07-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchef71 View Post
So after months of driving on crappy worn out tires and stock 18” 193 rims with bends and scrapes, I finally bit the bullet and got a set of VMR v710’s and Pilot Super Sports
I bring my car in to get it aligned and I get a phone call from the shop that they can’t do it. When I got there the guy tells me that I need front tie rods- they are frozen in place and they couldn’t get them to budge and rear cam bolts for the same reason. So here’s my question- what are rear cam bolts? I figured they were the rear eccentric camber bolts so I ordered tie rods and “rear eccentric camber bolts”. I called the guy this morning and told him I ordered the parts and now he says they are toe bolts!?! So I’ve got these eccentric camber bolts which may or may not be what he needs, are there toe bolts and if so what are the part #? I haven’t been able to find “toe bolt” and I am going completely insane looking at my car with new wheels and tires sitting in the driveway. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh- and sorry about the noob questions but I’m not really up to speed with suspension parts, do I need the nuts (or are there nuts) for these bolts?

Thanks everybody!
See here for a diagram of your rear suspension:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1230

I'm guessing you brought them part 16, when you should've had part 9, or vice-versa. I'm not sure which is which. You can show them this diagram, and they could probably point out which bolt they need. Honestly, I don't understand why they couldn't just order the part themselves though.

For the tie rods, look here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_1510

Are they loosening the clamp bolt (part 6) on the female-threaded side of the outer tie rod? Because you need to before making adjustments. And the part about the tie rod being unable to move is odd. If you can't move it, you can't get it off to replace it anyways.

Maybe it's just rusted on, and in that case, heat it up before removing it.

It sounds to me like the shop doesn't really know what they're doing, or they're unfamiliar with BMWs, so I'd probably take the car to someone else. I don't know why they wouldn't just order the parts for you.
      07-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Evilchef71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
See here for a diagram of your rear suspension:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1230

I'm guessing you brought them part 16, when you should've had part 9, or vice-versa. I'm not sure which is which. You can show them this diagram, and they could probably point out which bolt they need. Honestly, I don't understand why they couldn't just order the part themselves though.

For the tie rods, look here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_1510

Are they loosening the clamp bolt (part 6) on the female-threaded side of the outer tie rod? Because you need to before making adjustments. And the part about the tie rod being unable to move is odd. If you can't move it, you can't get it off to replace it anyways.

Maybe it's just rusted on, and in that case, heat it up before removing it.

It sounds to me like the shop doesn't really know what they're doing, or they're unfamiliar with BMWs, so I'd probably take the car to someone else. I don't know why they wouldn't just order the parts for you.
Yeah these guys are just a small town tire shop and told me they could order the parts but it would take a while and they didn’t want to heat up the tie rods too much with the torch. I was a little dissapointed at that point and told them I would just get the parts myself- kinda regretting that now as they don’t know what the part is actually called.
Thanks for the help tho- Those are the bolts I ordered so when they get here hopefully they are the right ones. Just threw me for a loop when he started talking about “toe bolts” when originally said “cam bolt”...... Arrgh!