E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Australia Classifieds Section > WTB: Intake for E90 320i

11-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #45
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

if this provides any real improvement you'll should make a DIY on this in the DIY section..it could get lost here in WTB
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #46
tj9
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
if this provides any real improvement you'll should make a DIY on this in the DIY section..it could get lost here in WTB
As mentioned previously, was looking for an intake to improve the engine note not so much for power.

Not many intakes alone provide that much of a power increase.

Just a little something to spruce up the old 2.0 4cyl to have a more appealing engine note in the presence of I6s and V8s that are so readily present and available in Australia due to Holdens and Fords.

End of the day theres only so much you can do with the engine we have, aftermarket power gains are inexistent, we at least deserve a better sounding engine than the diesel-like acoustics we're burdened with from the factory
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #47
tj9
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
I might just try the direct replacement one and see how it goes. It seems to be a lot shorter than your one though.
I considered looking at the direct replacement as well, but at the back of my mind queried whether the materials used by K&N for this particular took into account that the replacement would be kept in an enclosed airbox, hence the reason why i bought something that is designed to withstand the temp of a car housing an open box setup.

Just food for thought

Would like to know if this was the case with the direct replacement
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #48
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

you know, I did actually think about that. You would assume it is made from the same material and stuff as the other filters. Maybe they market it as "direct replacement in airmbox" to comment about its size and ease of installation or something..Also, it will be hot, but not as hot as a fully exposed filter, right?

Last edited by sbce90; 11-17-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #49
tj9
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
you know, I did actually think about that. You would assume it is made from the same material and stuff as the other filters. Maybe they market it as "direct replacement in airmbox" to comment about its size and ease of installation or something..Also, it will be hot, but not as hot as a fully exposed filter, right?
I would assume its the same material they'd use in any other filter. But for a piece of mind i purchased one that was designed for exposure in the engine bay.

Well there is the intake manifold (Number 13, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=13&fg=20)
which will feed air from outside to the filter so hopefully that reduces the operating temperature of the filter and keeps it that little bit cooler than an open exposed set up.

All in all, the setup im running now cost me $83, $63 for filter and $20 for the spacer to attach the filter. Alot of the filters themselves made by K&N can run closer to the $100 mark.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #50
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

What I like about this set up, is that you get the originally designed air intake + extra air from underneath. The air from underneath shouldn't be that hot either, as it's not really that close to the engine. It's worth a go anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #51
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

SO Jeef Beef helped me out and took off the base of the box and replaced the filter. Just one question though tj9...

When you hit 4500 rpm does your engine note change? I mean a very distinct change in tone.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #52
tj9
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
SO Jeef Beef helped me out and took off the base of the box and replaced the filter. Just one question though tj9...

When you hit 4500 rpm does your engine note change? I mean a very distinct change in tone.
Yeahh i get a change in engine note... VANOS?? similar to that of a car with VTEC hahah unfortunate comparison, but that best describes the change of tone.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #53
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj9 View Post
Yeahh i get a change in engine note... VANOS?? similar to that of a car with VTEC hahah unfortunate comparison, but that best describes the change of tone.
LOL. yeah. first this we thought was "oh wow. VTEC!" but yeh, its a very distinct change and combined with my exhaust its amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #54
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Would you recommend this as a must do mod SBC to get the most out of the perf exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #55
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj9 View Post
Quote:
LOL. yeah. first this we thought was "oh wow. VTEC!" but yeh, its a very distinct change and combined with my exhaust its amazing.
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO! It's freaking awesome. I have no idea why it happens just after changing the filter but it's a very noticeable changover that gave me and Suj endless entertainment as he caned it up and down my street after installation.

VANOS is meant to be 'continuously variable' and does not having two settings like Honda's VTEC. Logically, there should not be a changover point in the rev band as VANOS theoretically makes adjustments in infinite steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Would you recommend this as a must do mod SBC to get the most out of the perf exhaust?
It's a cheap mod that is SUPER easy to do, and brings some interesting noises into the mix. You can definitely hear an induction noise on WOT too.

Since I pretty much did the installation in around 10mins, I'll be happy to write up a DIY if you need some assistance putting the filter in.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #56
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Since I pretty much did the installation in around 10mins, I'll be happy to write up a DIY if you need some assistance putting the filter in.
Hi Jeef, please write a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #57
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
Hi Jeef, please write a DIY.
+1 Jeef, a DIY would be great, post it here and in the DIY section. Any known side effects that could have on the engine from your knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #58
LT5PLA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

sorry to bring up an old thread but what is the neck size of the k&n filter i would need to match up with the intake ?? I know length can vary but i wanna make sure i get the neck size correct
Appreciate 0