E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i - Auto transmission won't engage sport mode

12-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #67
new0rder
Lowlife Republic
Rep
Drives: 06 325XI Monaco Blue

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
+1 on this Lost my DS mode I will definite try take apart fix these damn wire
      11-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #68
mclarry01
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 335i

335i - Auto transmission won't engage sport mode

I had a similar problem about a week ago on my 335i come to find out the tranny barely had any fluid in it, serviced it myself and now drives like new. May be a thought if not already mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #69
aalpha3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i/Space Grey Metallic

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wanted to add to this:

Took it to the first two shops - I showed them the thread and they both said the wires were fine, replace the whole assembly. I remained persistent, and the third shop said they found 2 wires cut. They fixed it right there and I was only charged an hour shop time. Saved about $800+...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:02 AM   #70
Ramramo
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328 2007

Hello Guys i have a similar problem on my 328i 2007. i replaced my GM tranmission (automatic) with the same GM 6l45 transmission, but that transmission was taken from a 328i 2009 year model car. everything works great except the ds mode. it engages in DS mode and works fine for 40-50 seconds when i start the car and then it reverts itself in D mode, it does the same on each start. i changed my normal steering wheel with a paddle shifter one, because the 2009 328i had a paddle shifter, it did not fix. then i checked the wires in the shift assembly and all the wires seems okay, then i tried a new shift assembly from the 2009 328i model, still did not fix. I would really appreciate if anyone could help. i've been trying to fix this for 3 weeks already.

P.S sorry for non excellent english. Hope you can understand the situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #71
Kipitrl
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i n54

Ramramo did you ever get the issue with your ds mode not working fixed? I replaced my transmission on my 335i n54 and have the same problem, when i slide over to ds mode it does nothing just shows d mode but will shift up and down manual mode with shifter and paddles but reverts back to d mode within a couple seconds. Tried pro tool to reset adaptations, checked wires still does not work????????
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #72
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipitrl View Post
Ramramo did you ever get the issue with your ds mode not working fixed? I replaced my transmission on my 335i n54 and have the same problem, when i slide over to ds mode it does nothing just shows d mode but will shift up and down manual mode with shifter and paddles but reverts back to d mode within a couple seconds. Tried pro tool to reset adaptations, checked wires still does not work????????
I had the same problem, your issue is the mechatronics sleeve, most likely a broken or bent pin. Ask the shop that changed your tranny to check for it, I guarantee you that is your problem. Let me know. There is a TSB for it in fact. I will find it tomorrow and share it here.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:32 AM   #73
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 M3 Jerez Black

Here it is, found it.

This is a quote from the tsb:

5. In some cases, the incorrectly installed sealing sleeve may permanently damage pins in the Mechatronic connector (X8500). In such a case, the Mechatronic module has to be replaced (pin repair is not possible).
The illustration shows an example of a broken and missing pin #4 in the X8500, caused by improper sleeve installation; this resulted in the customer's complaint about the inoperative Sport Mode of the transmission.

Attached is the PDF for the TSB.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B 24 08 06.pdf (78.6 KB, 306 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 01:28 AM   #74
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

I had a similar symptom - could not shift the lever left into S mode, but the problem turned out to be more prosaic...

Opened it up with help from the video from post #48, but wish I had looked at it first before trying the gearknob, as it came off suddenly to hit me in the left eye, just as the video warns!

My wires were fine (2010 335i) but the plastic ring that holds the shifter boot had broken and lodged into the shifter parts. Don't think I can buy a replacement but the boot seems to hold up fine without it.

I did free the wires from that awkward fold though, so hopefully won't get any broken wires in the future!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #75
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomi View Post
Thanks for taking the time and posting pictures of your problem. I hope my write up was helpful

I just bought a used gearshift assembly on ebay for $100 and I was going to try my luck today on replacing it but my buddy's shop is full so I will try on Monday.

What was your problem exactly? Because many people seem to be experiencing variations of the same problem for example, this is mine:

Whenever I move the shifter from "D" to the left, the small led on the PRNDL indicator (not the one on the dash) also moves to the left to the +- position. However, on the DASH the indicator stays in D, not DS.

When the shifter is tilted to the left, I can use it UP and DOWN to go through the gears and in the dash M1, M2, M3, etc is shown. The same goes for the paddle shifters the work like a charm but after a while of not using them (shifter or paddles) they car goes from a "M" mode to normal "D".

It seems like Manual mode works well but is the DS that is not engaging.

Was this your problem? Different variations of the same problem require different approaches like checking cables, checking PRNLD switch or in the worst case scenario replacing the whole gearshift assy.

What was your problem?

Best

-k
This is my EXACT problem. Everything is fine EXCEPT the odometer does not show I'm in DS mode. The M modes M1 M2 M3...etc...show up on the odometer and I feel that the car is in M mode. The base plate led light up when switched into S and M modes.

I even attempted to see if the car was in S mode but just wasn't indicating it on the odometer and it is NOT in S mode. It still feels like D mode. However M modes shift and jerk letting me know the M mode is actually working.

I did a quick visual check of my wiring under the shift indicator plate and it all seems intact. I will have to take the console apart to to a deeper check on the sides on the shifter assembly to see if any wires are broken deeper down.

I'm also wondering if it is a blown fuse as well. There is a shared 5 amp fuse [ FUSE 63 ]for the shifter assembly that also powers some central locking and key fob antenna modules. So if you are having issues with unlocking your car and the shifter assembly indicator then check fuse 63.
Attached Images

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #76
E92aram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

You can go to a local computer shop and have someone solder them together. Thats the one big flaw about these cars that the wires are against a sharp edge so it keeps pulling against it and finally cuts through. There is some slack so you can pull it out a little to have more room so it wont happen again
      06-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #77
Wolverine83
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E90 // BMW 318is E36

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1995 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Had exact same issue on my 330i.
Guy sold it because dealer asked almost 1500 CAD to fix this.

After tearing up the console found three wires completely severed and three half way there

Reconnected it and put a heat shrink tube over it, didn't run the wires same way to prevent them from getting cut again. Now it shifts normally and it cost me like $2 to fix this

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #78
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Just bought an 08 335xi a few days ago, for some reason I didn't even think to test DS/paddles, because why wouldn't they work?

Well I found this thread, so ya, they don't work lol I guess ill have to tear into the shifter and see whats up.

Same issue as most of you, doesn't go into DS or shift manually, reverts back to D from M. I'll report back with my findings.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #79
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Well seems like they have not fixed this problem for any of the E90s. I have a N55 2011 E90 and first thing I noticed when I displaced my shifter is as I was going from P to D, is that the LED did not light up on the R position. Found this weird but I said whatever and switched to D/S mode because I always drive that way.

Immediately noticed that my cluster kept indicating D instead of S. Additionaly only my paddle shifts work to change the gears but it obviously reverts back to D mode afyer a few seconds. Steptronic on the shifter doesn't work.

Seems like I'll have to solder some wires this weekend and unpinch the harness from the stupid location it is locked into.
Appreciate 0