E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Car won't start!! Help!

12-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Car won't start!! Help!

So a week ago my car started acting really weird. It would idle super crazy and I noticed a huge acceleration loss! I called my mechanic and he said to drop it off the next morning. The next morning my car was acting just fine and the check engine light came on, so I decided to wait a little while just to make sure. It started doing it randomly and same, it would start doing it and then stop and be normal. I saw online that it could be multiple things from the exhaust camshaft sensor to the eccentric shaft sensor. I checked both and the exhaust one was fine and the eccentric had oil in it so I figured I found the problem. I plugged it back in and when I tried starting the car I noticed it took forever to turn on. It would sound like it was about to shut down but it turned back on. I then went back to the sensor to see wth I did wrong for the car to do that. I went back and the car wouldnt turn on at all!. I couldnt figure out what happened. I tried jump starting and nothing. So I took it to the mechanic. After a week there he said that he thinks its the starter but he is not 100% sure and that he also thinks it might be the key, because he said he got a lot of codes for the key, I noticed that during the tow, the car wouldnt give me the key back I had to pull it hard to get it out(stupid mistake) he said maybe that activated the alarm and broke the key. Has anyone experienced something similar? Its a $600 charge for the starter and $200 for the key. I rather not pay $800 for nothing. Thanks
      12-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

What code is it throwing? Go to Autozone and have them check it for free. You really should invest in a peake research tool, see my sig.. Edit: Since your car doesn't start get the peake tool.

If I had to guess, intake camshaft sensor.

By the way, you can't tell if a sensor is bad just by looking at it.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Josegut303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i E90 N55

I have a 2011 BMW 335i E90 N55 47k miles

So I changed my spark plugs. My oil and oil filter. I also changed the Oil filter housing gasket. Once I was done i left the car idle and warmed the engine up to see if I had any oil leaks and I noticed I had one the the same area as the ofhg. I noticed oil pooling up near the oil filter. It was a small leak at first then as I'm about to back out I get in thr car and it tells me I'm low on oil to shut off the engine to avoid damage. So I got worried and turned the car off. I went and looked at the car and i lost about 1 or 2 quarts of oil. It went from a small leak to a big leak. There was oil on the hood as if the oil shot up so i knew it came from the oil filter area. Then to see the source of the leak i go to turn on the car again. But now it won't start it clicks and the lights on the dash flicker then it just stop completely. Any idea on whay i could be.?
Appreciate 0