Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > A few comments on Michelin Pilot Super Sport & A/S 3

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #23
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

For those owning a 335i, please don't make the mistake of getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and hoping for good traction. It's just not going to happen. I now regret my A/S 3 purchase after one and a half years with them, because all the power cannot be handled, they are plain dangerous in the summer with a tuned N54 engine, especially on asphalt when you just slide and also understeer in every corner taken a a half-decent speed (and I have 245 front tires and 265 rears) with lots of other suspension mods. With traction control off you spin in every gear until 4th and maybe even then.

The A/S 3 is great between late winter and early spring, and in late autumn. They are great in the wet. In the winter they are useless, while in summer the traction is very low for a high performance engine. They are great for regular cars but not for a tuned or even stock 335i.

On dry asphalt at 17-20 Celsius a set of Ventus V12's that I had for a few days (while my wheels were powdercoated) ran rings around the Pilot Sport A/S 3s that I currently have. I realized that I made a mistake and I am now preparing to buy a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and a set of winter tires when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #24
Concorde
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
For those owning a 335i, please don't make the mistake of getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and hoping for good traction. It's just not going to happen. I now regret my A/S 3 purchase after one and a half years with them, because all the power cannot be handled, they are plain dangerous in the summer with a tuned N54 engine, especially on asphalt when you just slide and also understeer in every corner taken a a half-decent speed (and I have 245 front tires and 265 rears) with lots of other suspension mods. With traction control off you spin in every gear until 4th and maybe even then.

The A/S 3 is great between late winter and early spring, and in late autumn. They are great in the wet. In the winter they are useless, while in summer the traction is very low for a high performance engine. They are great for regular cars but not for a tuned or even stock 335i.

On dry asphalt at 17-20 Celsius a set of Ventus V12's that I had for a few days (while my wheels were powdercoated) ran rings around the Pilot Sport A/S 3s that I currently have. I realized that I made a mistake and I am now preparing to buy a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and a set of winter tires when the time comes.
That has not been my experience with these tires. They're the best all around tire I ever had.

Don't know how much power you're putting down, but I have 275 A/S3 in the back and have no "traction problem" whatsoever with these tires at 360whp/390wtq. Of course I can spin them if I want to, but I have to launch very hard to do so. Reading your comments here I would advise you to remove these tires ASAP as you seem to be in grave danger.
Appreciate 0